PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Site News & Announcements (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   FTP now anonymous, no password needed (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20873)

Perasite 03-11-2008 01:09 PM

FTP now anonymous, no password needed

I just finished making the updates to the FTP. It is now a truly anonymous FTP. Anyone can now upload, download and view files. They cannot delete or rename them... YAY!! Hope this helps to keep the FTP working how everyone wants it to.

In order to get to the FTP now, you no longer need the ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@xxx stuff. You now just use ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com to access the FTP. Please note that all links pointing to ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@xxx will no longer work, but can be fixed by removing ppcgeeks:ezupload@ from the link.

The link under QLINKS has been updated to reflect the new address of the FTP.

Update: If you need a file deleted or you need a directory created, please send me a PM and I will give you the information needed for you to be able to do so.

Please note that under this new system, all deletes are logged, so it should be easy for us to track any malicious users and remove their ability to delete items.

Baffles 03-11-2008 01:12 PM

Re: FTP now anonymous, no password needed

Will there be any support for users to get a login and password to manage files in their own 'directories'?

Perasite 03-11-2008 01:25 PM

See my first post for ways to have items renamed or deleted.

budney 03-11-2008 06:32 PM

Thanks for fixing the FTP Yuma. :)

ghettofreeryder 03-11-2008 06:44 PM

I am unable to upload new roms. Any ideas?

Perasite 03-11-2008 06:49 PM

Can you tell me where you are trying to upload them to? How big are the files? Really, there is no limit to file size, but I just want to eliminate factors. I have tested uploading files, and did not find any problems.

Perasite 03-11-2008 06:51 PM

Actually, I think I found the problem. I will work on it and get a solution ASAP. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Yep, found the problem. It is a permissions issue that will take about 45 minutes for me to get everything updated. Please be patient. I will post for testing again once I have the permissions set.

InvincibleLiving 03-11-2008 06:55 PM

nice work Yuma, glad to see you're still good for something!

Perasite 03-11-2008 08:08 PM

OK, you can now upload files, but not folders... still working on it.

CozBoogie 03-11-2008 08:13 PM

Nicely done Yuma...take $20 from petty cash for your efforts:toothy10:

late,
Coz

PPCFreak 03-12-2008 09:49 AM

So if we had items on the FTP before, are they simply gone now?

I tried logging in and all I see is a folder called Incoming. I had CABS and OEMS on Apache/PPCFreak under 2 directories; Cabs and Oems.
Thanks.

Perasite 03-12-2008 10:40 AM

No, they are still there. You just don't need a name and password anymore to access them. Login to the FTP as anonymous or just click ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com and you will find them.

Perasite 03-12-2008 02:02 PM

I have updated the first post with information about creating folders. Long story short, it is not possible on anonymous FTP, so PM me if you need a folder made.

mrgeoff 03-13-2008 11:46 PM

I'm curious... would it be possible for a web app to be created that uses the only ftp account to make the folder creations and file management?

You could have it setup to use our forum credentials for authentication. I would take a shot in the dark and say file management could be verified as long as the username is within the ftp layout (/vogue/users/mrgeoff/folder1/goober.txt). I know this would be an undertaking, but I have a feeling your PM box isn't going to be lonely lol

Perasite 03-14-2008 12:02 AM

It hasn't been, and I am looking at writing a php app to do something like this. That may take some time, though. Great suggestion.

Perasite 03-14-2008 12:04 AM

If you would like something deleted from the FTP, please send me a PM with the location of the file and then rename the file putting DELETEME_ at the front of the file. This insures that I delete the right one. :)

ImCoKeMaN 03-14-2008 06:07 AM

Yuma,
I'm glad we have the anonymous ftp and all, but isn't it possible to keep the ppcgeeks user and just have read permissions (at least for a while)? That isn't a good plan to have EVERYONE with a link in their posts to have to edit them immediately with no notice. I just updated like 10 or so of my own links after seeing lots of users complaining about not being able to download. I knew enough to go to this section and see what I needed to do to fix it, but this has very broad scope and should be communicated at least with an announcment in the banner for a while if it will break so many links.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess if there's only one account allowed though we can't have just a read only one. Maybe mindfrost can do a DB update for the ppcgeeks:ezupload@ and replace with nothing (got the links working now, had to get out of the fancy editor mode)

Perasite 03-14-2008 10:45 AM

Unfortunately, we can't just keep the user. It's kind of all or nothing. In all fairness, though, there was some warning that changes were coming in the thread that announced the FTP had been vandalized (again.) I did not change any of the folder structures, so removing the name and password should allow direct access to the files. I just tested ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/Users/Im...n_Relocker.exe in Firefox and it went to the file just fine.

If I had made an announcement that the change was coming, and someone took that opportunity to further delete items on the FTP, then there would be those issues. Hopefully this isn't too much of a burden, and the FTP can function as everyone wants it to soon.

Perasite 03-14-2008 05:36 PM

Baffles, ImCoKeMan, budney, PPCFreak, and Wideawake - can you guys check your PMs? I have sent you some information on a test for the FTP.

Perasite 03-17-2008 11:33 AM

Testing of the new system seems to have gone well. Thank you to those that have tested it.

From now on, you will have anonymous access to the FTP via a standard FTP client to do uploads and downloads (same as the last week or so.) The process for deletes and folder creation has just become easier, though.

If you would like to delete a file or create a folder on the FTP, please send me a PM and I will create an account for you (if you wish, you can include your desired password so that I give you one you like.) I will then send you your login information and instructions on how to delete items or create folders. I hope that everyone likes this, and our FTP has no further problems.

Please note, that under this system, all deletes are logged and can be traced back to the person that deleted the item(s) so if any user were to trash the FTP again, we can lock them out of their ability to repeat the problem.

budney 03-18-2008 12:41 PM

What is a good free FTP client? I have not had one in so long I am out of the loop. :)

mindfrost82 03-18-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budney (Post 221969)
What is a good free FTP client? I have not had one in so long I am out of the loop. :)

FileZilla - http://filezilla-project.org/

budney 03-18-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 221997)

^^^ Great! Thank you! :) VVV

Will try them when I get back home from work.

Pibe38 03-18-2008 02:31 PM

I use http://www.smartftp.com/

bobt 03-26-2008 08:06 PM

Everytime I try to access the ftp server I get a login box and it keeps popping back up.

Perasite 03-27-2008 12:03 AM

How are you trying to access it (are you using an FTP client or are you just clicking the ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com link)?

fredcatsmommy 03-28-2008 12:20 AM

When I hit Qlinks and try to open the ftp site, it has the ezuploads URL and gives an error message. On another note, how can I access the ftp using the resco ftp add-on; I wanted to transfer some files up from my phone. thanks

Perasite 03-28-2008 09:57 AM

That is strange, the QLINKS doesn't have the ezupload when I click it. Try a refresh and clearing your cache, or just go to ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com and you should be OK. As far as Resco, hopefully someone else can give you some info. I've never used it.

fredcatsmommy 03-28-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6700Yuma (Post 233060)
That is strange, the QLINKS doesn't have the ezupload when I click it. Try a refresh and clearing your cache, or just go to ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com and you should be OK. As far as Resco, hopefully someone else can give you some info. I've never used it.

on my office computer I cleared the cache, and while it looked like it was going to up.ppcgeeks.com, it still asked for a password. If I type in the URL myself, no problem accessing the ftp.

Perasite 03-28-2008 11:35 AM

That's strange... I have the same thing on my office computer. I cleared the cache and refreshed, but the QLINK still points to the link with ezupload in it. I will let mindfrost82 know about it.

mindfrost82 03-28-2008 12:36 PM

The link should work now.

fredcatsmommy 03-28-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 233256)
The link should work now.

It does. Thanks!

falzon03 01-20-2009 02:35 AM

i can view the site in internet explorer but not firefox...

mindfrost82 01-21-2009 03:02 PM

It works fine for me in Firefox. Did you somehow disable FTP access in it?

nize2beme 08-26-2009 10:37 AM

it asks for a username and password if you use Google Chrome also. Took me forever to figure out (via this thread) to use IE instead.

jorge001 09-18-2009 03:21 PM

how to use my symbol phone to get the internet in my computer

Playboy83 02-08-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perasite (Post 214391)
I have updated the first post with information about creating folders. Long story short, it is not possible on anonymous FTP, so PM me if you need a folder made.

I need this file I believe on my ppc6800 it is stuck at splash screen, but the site is asking for a password and username I just found this phone going through some things and I now its old, but just want to try to flash it and I tried and I am stuck at the splash screen of alltel. I used the unlocker and tried like 3 roms, but I can't find the radios. If you can help please send me the password or a links that still work with the rom and radio thanks. ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Titan/Users/Im...rd-SPL-MFG.exe