PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Site News & Announcements (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   PPCGeeks.com FTP Vandalized. Everyones help needed! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=19969)

Wideawake 03-03-2008 12:38 PM

PPCGeeks.com FTP Vandalized. Everyones help needed!

It looks like someone decided to take there time and delete our FTP folders for HTC Titan & HTC Vogue sections on the FTP site. I dont know who would do such a thing but we are looking at trying to find out who this person was. We are also looking for ways to stop these childish acts from happening in the future.

If anyone has downloaded files off the ftp from the vogue and titan sections and has them stored locally then please upload what you have so we can attempt to rebuild this back. Thanks for any help.
~Mike

computercarl 03-03-2008 12:39 PM

Re: PPCGeeks.com FTP Vandalized. Everyones help needed!

Mike, Why cant we force users to create a user name and password, or even automate it to match the one on the forum... and even create a user that can only download for the noobs...

Wideawake 03-03-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computercarl (Post 200657)
Mike, Why cant we force users to create a user name and password, or even automate it to match the one on the forum... and even create a user that can only download for the noobs...

Im am looking into a system like this Carl, this is the first major problem we have seen since our FTP was released. Hopefully it will be our last.
~Mike

Goddbody 03-03-2008 12:53 PM

Try looking into a backup method for that file on your serbver Mike, i mean if thats feasable, because I can image with the volume your running here it probably is a huge database.

Wideawake 03-03-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddbody (Post 200674)
Try looking into a backup method for that file on your serbver Mike, i mean if thats feasable, because I can image with the volume your running here it probably is a huge database.

Well the FTP is on a different server than the website and our site is backed up. But ya the ftp now has 6GB used so I can imagine it with the titan and vogue folders. So thats kind of hard to keep backed up.
~mike

Goddbody 03-03-2008 01:11 PM

Well sounds like a vunerablity which is the case usually with public access to a database. One good thing though, it happened. Now you can take the measures so it doesn't happen again. im going to ask around here at AT&T about security measures for this issue. I'll pm you when I get an answer. Haters are lurking bruh which comes with success. smh

Fresh2Death 03-03-2008 01:19 PM

what nerd has the time to do something so corny as this? i cant stand people that do these things. they need to grow up and get a life!

Wideawake 03-03-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddbody (Post 200690)
Well sounds like a vunerablity which is the case usually with public access to a database. One good thing though, it happened. Now you can take the measures so it doesn't happen again. im going to ask around here at AT&T about security measures for this issue. I'll pm you when I get an answer. Haters are lurking bruh which comes with success. smh

No vulnerability at all. The FTP was a public FTP in which anyone could upload, delete, move, and download files. No restrictions on a completely different machine. So no worries....just gotta find a solution to let ppl upload and download but can only delete the files if they uploaded them. Dunno how to do but Im looking. Thanks for the help tho! And we know about them haters. :disgust:
~mike

blue4shizzle 03-03-2008 01:30 PM

i think they prolly just dragged the files from the ftp server and onto their own which caused the files to disappear.. maybe we should set up a ftp for dummies and let them know to copy and paste instead of dragging files

Goddbody 03-03-2008 01:35 PM

Thats true hizzle, maybe exactly what happened.