PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx 6700, Touch, Samsung Omnia, Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

iclickjohn is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You HAVE to delete your "My Storage"

That really got your attention, didn't it?
Well, I never did clear that memory since I had the phone. It was the Holy Grail of favorite images, Cab files, mp3s, etc. etc. I have a lot of apps loaded plus my GPS was taking a couple minutes to lock and that didn't seem to jive with what I was hearing here. So, I decided to back-up the entire "My Memory" onto my PC. I wanted to reorganize it anyway since it had gotten very cluttered. So did the hard reset ALL. Reloaded Official ROM and Adrynelyn's Vanilla.
BOOM. It's like coming up for air. The phone literally is different. Better. GPS locks in seconds. Software that was clunky is now smooth. I know that I had perhaps a collection of artifacts from adding and removing software and ROMs so many times. This is the clutter that gets in the way of a smooth operating phone. By the time I was done I transfered only 15% of my "junk" back.
JUST DO IT!
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:36 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Re: You HAVE to delete your "My Storage"

The phone's programming is kept on My Storage, I believe.

So yeah, it makes sense to occasionally format the sucker and reset the programming.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Pure (TD2, Topaz)
Carrier: AT&T

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff

I've done it a couple time, i hate to do it due to the fact that I have like 6 GB's of music and it takes FOREVER to transfer them back. But iclickjohn is right, when ever i do it the phone runs like it's on crack. I may do it again with 2.0. All that is needed is time i guess.

Don't forget to click THANKS for those who have helped!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

gholaleto is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclickjohn View Post
That really got your attention, didn't it?
Well, I never did clear that memory since I had the phone. It was the Holy Grail of favorite images, Cab files, mp3s, etc. etc. I have a lot of apps loaded plus my GPS was taking a couple minutes to lock and that didn't seem to jive with what I was hearing here. So, I decided to back-up the entire "My Memory" onto my PC. I wanted to reorganize it anyway since it had gotten very cluttered. So did the hard reset ALL. Reloaded Official ROM and Adrynelyn's Vanilla.
BOOM. It's like coming up for air. The phone literally is different. Better. GPS locks in seconds. Software that was clunky is now smooth. I know that I had perhaps a collection of artifacts from adding and removing software and ROMs so many times. This is the clutter that gets in the way of a smooth operating phone. By the time I was done I transfered only 15% of my "junk" back.
JUST DO IT!
I was having the same issues with the GPS taking up to 10 minutes to lock. I couldn't figure out why VZ Navigtor could get a lock so quickly and the other programs couldn't.

I was somewhat skeptical at first, and I didn't want to clear my Storage, but it was worth it.

I backed "My Storage" up to my PC, then formatted the "My Storage", and then did a hard reset.

Once the phone came back up, I installed both Google maps and Bing. They both got GPS locks in seconds. Google had my location from the cell towers down to the city even before I turned GPS on.

It was definitely worth doing. I highly recommend it if you are having issues with the GPS taking awhile to lock.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work

i never really thought of doing this but now that i think about it, mine has a ton of junk. does this apply to an SD card, too?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Lurker

gholaleto is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanosaur View Post
i never really thought of doing this but now that i think about it, mine has a ton of junk. does this apply to an SD card, too?
I would only do the SD card if you have the GPS programs installed there. If not, then I don't see why you would need to.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsun Omnia

dmagalhaes is a n00b

I've never done a hard reset, did you reset just my storage or "clear all data". Also once you did the hard reset, you reloaded cf03 again? I loaded it a couple of days ago but I'm having a hard time getting locked on. If I clear all data will that wipe out all the programs that comes with the vanilla rom? I backed up all my cabs that I installed but I was wondering about the programs that come with vanilla
Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SCH-i910

tedkord is a n00b

Just to be clear here, a simple hard reset choosing to clear both the phone memory and "My Storage" should do it, right?

Or are we talking a re-format? I've never even checked, but I assume WinMo uses FAT32. I'll check that next time I hook up to USB non-activesync.

I usually hard reset both (not the SD card). I install most of my apps to the My Storage, and put media (movies and music and docs and pics, etc...) on the SD card. The only thing I back up from my storage is Igo8 for the maps.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Lurker

gholaleto is a n00b

Here is what I did.

1) Backed up "My Storage" through Activesync

2) I went into the memory settings and chose to format "My Storage"

3) I pushed the small reset button on the top of the phone while holding the Send and End buttons and confirmed that I wanted to do a hard reset.

4) Copied everything back to "My Storage" through Activesync except for the programs folders (Bing, Google Maps, Program Files)

I did not have to reflash the phone at all.

Last edited by gholaleto; 07-22-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx 6700, Touch, Samsung Omnia, Moto Droid
Threadstarter

iclickjohn is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagalhaes View Post
I've never done a hard reset, did you reset just my storage or "clear all data". Also once you did the hard reset, you reloaded cf03 again? I loaded it a couple of days ago but I'm having a hard time getting locked on. If I clear all data will that wipe out all the programs that comes with the vanilla rom? I backed up all my cabs that I installed but I was wondering about the programs that come with vanilla
Thanks
Yes, I did a hard reset on ALL. Just for $#!% & giggles I did reload cfo3 and Vanilla. I figured it would create a clean and fresh new start. I don't think the hard reset would wipe out anything from a preloaded vanilla. So it's your choice.
After the hard reset you need to get verizon update again though. *228

For anyone storing on SD card mp3s or movies and such, I don't think there are any operating artifacts that would be left on a removable card. Probably wouldn't worry about that. Anything that you have loaded programs and deleted programs would be a concern after a while.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia