PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Omnia (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Samsung Omnia reviews. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46314)

blasphemous_prime 11-24-2008 01:52 PM

Samsung Omnia reviews.

This is where you post your pros and cons on Samsung's latest device on Big Red's network (which is coming soon).

And please keep this thread as civil as the rest.

And also, special thanks go to Wideawake for creating this new forum (11/24)

Millz-Mal91 11-24-2008 09:22 PM

Re: Samsung Omnia reviews.

Cons? Ha if there are any... Once I saw the interface and read that it had an optional 8gb/16gb of internal memory it occurred to me that there is finally a windows mobile phone that will put the iphone to shame... No not shame, in a grave lol. Leave it to Samsung to be the inovator, not to say that HTC hasnt faught the good fight, I mean the touch HD is just wow but this is the Omnia thread so all I can say is Omnia > iPhone.

OMNIA '08

BigDiesel07 11-25-2008 12:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These are the official reviews of the Samsung Omnia that I come across

Gizmodo says the phone is alright for the price-

http://gizmodo.com/5098458/samsung-omnia-review

Infosync rates the Omnia at 64%, which is 'Good'... VERY DETAILED!

Hardware Design- Medicore
Interface Design - Mediocre
Calling - Good
Messaging - Good
Multimedia - Good
Scheduling and Productivity - Good
Camera - Good
Web browsing - Very good

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...mnia/9938.html

This one below is a video review..

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=239

aps024 11-25-2008 12:19 PM

Phonescoop has it up on their website now too.
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1773

Also here is a Video review by phonescoop:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=239

tak145 11-26-2008 09:34 AM

Verizon says Omnia is Rev. A capable. Does that mean the GPS is enabled without having to use VZ Navigator? If the GPS is locked will there be a work around?

forgive me...i'm not to all this.

spetrillo 11-26-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tak145 (Post 543768)
Verizon says Omnia is Rev. A capable. Does that mean the GPS is enabled without having to use VZ Navigator? If the GPS is locked will there be a work around?

forgive me...i'm not to all this.

It will be locked down, as with all official VZW ROMs, but leave it to the fine folks here and at XDA to unlock it soon!

I just ordered mine...this is the iPhone killer if Samsung markets it right. I personally think this will be the "device" on the VZW network, above the Storm or Touch Pro.

Hafrust 11-26-2008 11:19 AM

What's with the measly 128 MB RAM and 400x200 resolution?

blasphemous_prime 11-26-2008 01:25 PM

I do like the accelorometer as well as the UI making it feel almost like Vista in the palm of your hand, and the resolution would probably kill me a bit. Plus we'll need more user reviews once this comes out.

syrguy1969 11-26-2008 06:27 PM

I just ordered mine today, and will have it by Friday!! I am already deep in the research with the guys @ Howardforums into cracking the GPS thing (and yes, it is locked), but I agree with spetrillo that it will take cracking and cooking a new Rom with a new/improved/cracked GPS radio included!!!!

We will see!!!! :-)

blasphemous_prime 11-27-2008 01:53 PM

SyrGuy1969, you have bestowed a good idea for this Omnia forum which will lead to a Sub-Forum for Omnia upgrades after this is released. +1 for that idea.

syrguy1969 11-27-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasphemous_prime (Post 546350)
SyrGuy1969, you have bestowed a good idea for this Omnia forum which will lead to a Sub-Forum for Omnia upgrades after this is released. +1 for that idea.

I look forward to learning more about this device (hoping it is a keeper) I am still eagerly awaiting delivery....tomorrow!!!!! :-)

bwonish 11-30-2008 12:45 AM

Just got my phone today and it is as great as expected. Well worth waiting for and imo, much better than the touch pro or storm.

For the future thread on upgrades, for now, please help with fixes or walk throughs for the following:
1. Unlock GPS
2. Unlock or help provide access to WModem or Internet Sharing
3. Develop a good screen lock, similar to Slide2Unlock

I have only been playing with it for a couple hours, so i am sure others can add to the wish list. thanks in advance

kyrumo 11-30-2008 03:28 AM

My list of Omnia wants are.
Unloked GPS
Rom Development
Skyfire to work
Opera with Flashlite 3.1 but its already got a Flashlite 2.1 for the widgets and I guess theres a conflict

zoofer 11-30-2008 10:39 AM

Has anyone tried to install Slingplayer on the Omnia?

KC

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 01:29 PM

I have found the Omnia to be pretty cool, S2U2 works great, and most apps I have installed so far work great.

I do have two issues that may make me return this though:

1- The Omnia wakes up/turns off at will while on an external power source....kinda like sleeping next to a strobe-light at times, and a malfunctioning night-light at times.....not a good thing!!!!!

2- The memory issue....for some reason the internal memory runs out a lot faster than previous devices...I have less installed on my Omnia now that I do my 700wx and I have almost identical memory left on each (and I don't even have ring-toned loaded yet)!!!

Any ideas or anyone find work-arounds for these?

kyrumo 11-30-2008 02:05 PM

To squeeze some memory out of my Omnia, I deleted any file associated with Visual Voicemail, VZ App Store and Mobile I/M do to the fact that these services suck.

And make sure you install everything into your My Storage or Storage Card.

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrumo (Post 550784)
To squeeze some memory out of my Omnia, I deleted any file associated with Visual Voicemail, VZ App Store and Mobile I/M do to the fact that these services suck.

And make sure you install everything into your My Storage or Storage Card.

I'll give the first part a shot, I didn't realize those apps were in usable memory!!

Everything except Today plug-ins are installed on the My Storage (of course...I wonder if they can work well being in My Memory...it can't be removed after all!!!!).

doctorPDA 11-30-2008 07:25 PM

syrguy1969, kyrumo, bwonish, and anyone else with the Verizon Omnia:

Can you comment on:
1) Reception/signal strength? How is it compared to other phones? I've only seen one review so far (Infosync) comment about the Verizon Samsung Omnia signal strength (http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...mnia/9938.html under "Calling"). He reported "reception trouble". This could be related to the reviewer being located in a Manhattan office, as his reviews seem to always report worse signal strength compared to other online reviews. I am located in upstate NY and travel frequently to NY city, NJ, Philly, so I'd like to have a signal all over the east coast.

2) Call quality and volume (incoming/outgoing)? Speakerphone quality and volume (does it distort at highest volumes??)?

3) GPS quality? Anyone use VZ navigator yet? It would be nice if this worked without any lag. Apparently works with Google Maps (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...s&Number=31947).

4) Battery life? Better than Diamond and Touch Pro?

I was going to get the Diamond or Touch Pro, but not too happy about the scattered reports of bad battery life, GPS lag, and poor signal strength. Thanks.

kyrumo 11-30-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorPDA (Post 551234)

Can you comment on:
1) Reception/signal strength? How is it compared to other phones? I've only seen one review so far (Infosync) comment about the Verizon Samsung Omnia signal strength (http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...mnia/9938.html under "Calling"). He reported "reception trouble". This could be related to the reviewer being located in a Manhattan office, as his reviews seem to always report worse signal strength compared to other online reviews. I am located in upstate NY and travel frequently to NY city, NJ, Philly, so I'd like to have a signal all over the east coast.

2) Call quality and volume (incoming/outgoing)? Speakerphone quality and volume (does it distort at highest volumes??)?

3) GPS quality? Anyone use VZ navigator yet? It would be nice if this worked without any lag. Apparently works with Google Maps (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...s&Number=31947).

I was going to get the Diamond or Touch Pro, but not too happy about the scattered reports of bad battery life, GPS lag, and poor signal strength. Thanks.

I have had the Omnia for 3 days now and I'll rate 1-10
Reception Omnia 8 vs XV-6900 6 (Maricopa Az)
Battery life Omnia 5 vs XV-6900 7 I always forget to turn off Omnia's WIFI
Sound Quality Omnia 10 vs XV-6900 6.
Phone calls are great on the Omnia, no echo or boxy sound, sounds like a land line.
The Omnia is the best option for Verizon, for some reason they don't alter Samsungs to much.

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Can you comment on:

You sound like me with coverage....live in Syracuse + travel to NJ!!! (and from your ID, we both work in the medical field) I haven't traveled with this yet, but so far the signal strength seems pretty good, certainly as good, if not better than any phone/PPC I have used!!!

Call quality seems pretty good from both ends, very loud at times!! For speaker, it isn' the best, but if you turn the volume down a bit, it is definitly workable!!

Quote:

I haven't used VZNAV, but thanks for this link...I read it, and can tell you I have NOT been able to get GoogleMaps to connect with GPS at all yet!!!!

Quote:

I can't speak in direct comparison with the devices you mentioned, but in the past couple days it seems to have a pretty good battery life. I have only had light call/text days because of the holidays, but I will keep my eye on it!!!

kyrumo 11-30-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 551276)
You sound like me with coverage....live in Syracuse + travel to NJ!!! (and from your ID, we both work in the medical field) I haven't traveled with this yet, but so far the signal strength seems pretty good, certainly as good, if not better than any phone/PPC I have used!!!

Call quality seems pretty good from both ends, very loud at times!! For speaker, it isn' the best, but if you turn the volume down a bit, it is definitly workable!!

I haven't used VZNAV, but thanks for this link...I read it, and can tell you I have NOT been able to get GoogleMaps to connect with GPS at all yet!!!!

I can't speak in direct comparison with the devices you mentioned, but in the past couple days it seems to have a pretty good battery life. I have only had light call/text days because of the holidays, but I will keep my eye on it!!!

Im gonna install GPS Viewer and see if it detects anything

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrumo (Post 551289)
Im gonna install GPS Viewer and see if it detects anything

Please let me know...that is an app I haven't seen yet.

P.S. Looks like our reviews were pretty close as well....cool!!

kyrumo 11-30-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 551339)
Please let me know...that is an app I haven't seen yet.

P.S. Looks like our reviews were pretty close as well....cool!!

GPS Viewer is not detecting anything and yes its turned on haha.
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the Verizon stuff in the main menu.

doctorPDA 11-30-2008 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

With respect to GPS, Lisa Gade over at mobiletechreview.com seems to usually get 3rd party GPS programs to work. She didn't mention it in the link I provided earlier regarding the Verizon Omnia (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...s&Number=31947), but take a look at this review of the Samsung Epix under "GPS" (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Samsung-Epix.htm)........................ QUOTE: "If you wish to use something other than AT&T Navigator, we suggest you download AT&T Navigator using the pre-installed download link on the phone, then run it once. Why? It seems to setup the GPS for use, and after doing so, we had no trouble using other mapping and navigation programs. We've tested Google Maps, Windows Live Search and Garmin Mobile XT and all worked. For some reason Windows Live Search didn't default to "GPS intermediate driver" in settings, so we had to set that to get Live Search working. We tested CoPilot Live 7, and that package didn't work with the Epix (couldn't speak to the GPS)."

Perhaps if you download and run VZ Navigator first, then the GPS may be "setup for use"? (you could try it out, since apparently you get 1 month free VZ navigator per VZ website.......) Does the Omnia have "Quick GPS"? If so, I would run that too. Perhaps this is how she got Google maps to work on the Verizon Omnia. In her reviews, she usually tests if Garmin XT and CoPilot 7 work, but I suspect she will have problems since the GPS is locked, but I will follow up her full review of the Verizon Omnia....

syrguy1969, are there any areas where you lose reception and can't make a call? Does the speaker "distort" at the highest volume? Does the battery last for an entire day? BTW, I just finished medical residency training and I use Windows Mobile for medical programs like UpToDate, Lexi Drugs, etc..... Otherwise I would probably get a "non Windows Mobile" device....

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorPDA (Post 551349)
Thanks for the info.
syrguy1969, are there any areas where you lose reception and can't make a call? Does the speaker "distort" at the highest volume? Does the battery last for an entire day? BTW, I just finished medical residency training and I use Windows Mobile for medical programs like UpToDate, Lexi Drugs, etc..... Otherwise I would probably get a "non Windows Mobile" device....

I'll check out the GPS info you sent. The sound gets a bit distorted at the loudest on some calls, so I have to turn it down just a bit....not a bad thing in my book.

I have no problem making it through a day so far on the battery, but I haven't had a heavy day yet...I'll let you know more as I learn it!!!

I work in digital imaging at a University hospital, so I am familiar with the apps you mention!!

ckeegan 12-01-2008 11:57 AM

A long shot, but is anyone using the Omnia BT with a Nissan/Infiniti vehicle that has nav? Reason I ask is because I currently have the XV6800, and the BT stack on that device isn't compatible with my 2008 Altima. Actually, everyone with a Touch Pro, Fuze, Tilt, XV6850, XV6800 is having the same problem. Therefore, I contacted Verizon and they're willing to bump my NE2 by 7 months, and one of my options is the Omnia.

Obviously I want to make sure BT in the Omnia will work before I pull the trigger and go with the Omnia.

syrguy1969 12-01-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 552331)
A long shot, but is anyone using the Omnia BT with a Nissan/Infiniti vehicle that has nav? Reason I ask is because I currently have the XV6800, and the BT stack on that device isn't compatible with my 2008 Altima. Actually, everyone with a Touch Pro, Fuze, Tilt, XV6850, XV6800 is having the same problem. Therefore, I contacted Verizon and they're willing to bump my NE2 by 7 months, and one of my options is the Omnia.

Obviously I want to make sure BT in the Omnia will work before I pull the trigger and go with the Omnia.

Don't blame you there, but can't help with a yes or no!! I can suggest this though:

Go to a VZW store that has one, have them break out an operational unit and see if they can pair it with your vehicle righ there!! Trust me....they want to sell it, and they will do it! I tried the same type of thing a few years ago woth my 700wx and a Tom Tom device!!

ckeegan 12-01-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 552337)
Go to a VZW store that has one, have them break out an operational unit and see if they can pair it with your vehicle righ there!! Trust me....they want to sell it, and they will do it! I tried the same type of thing a few years ago woth my 700wx and a Tom Tom device!!

Interesting outcome. I spoke to customer service before going to the store, they told me which of the 3 local stores had them. Went there, employees at the store refused to let me see one until they were released for sale in-store.

Therefore, if anyone happens to know first-hand whether the Omnia works with the Altima, I'd appreciate the response. Otherwise, I guess I still have the worry-free to fall back on.

syrguy1969 12-01-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 552685)
Interesting outcome. I spoke to customer service before going to the store, they told me which of the 3 local stores had them. Went there, employees at the store refused to let me see one until they were released for sale in-store.

Therefore, if anyone happens to know first-hand whether the Omnia works with the Altima, I'd appreciate the response. Otherwise, I guess I still have the worry-free to fall back on.

WOW....that was rude of them!! I hope you spoke to a manager...Usually they will fall all over themselves to make a sale....sorry it didn't work out!!

bwonish 12-02-2008 11:37 AM

They aren't allowed to sell or touch the units in the store until Dec 8. Right now, the only release of the device is through online sales or telesales. Go back next monday and they should be willing to help...

aximtreo 12-02-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 551276)

I did get Google maps to work by using my Freedom 2000 GPS receiver with the following settings, Com 2 Baud rate 4800. The catch is you can only connect using the broadband connection. I guess that's one benefit to having to have the datapan..

syrguy1969 12-03-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aximtreo (Post 555914)
I did get Google maps to work by using my Freedom 2000 GPS receiver with the following settings, Com 2 Baud rate 4800. The catch is you can only connect using the broadband connection. I guess that's one benefit to having to have the datapan..

'Freedom 2000 GPS receiver'? Is that like a BT GPD dongle?

ckeegan 12-03-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonish (Post 554771)
They aren't allowed to sell or touch the units in the store until Dec 8. Right now, the only release of the device is through online sales or telesales. Go back next monday and they should be willing to help...

It's just weird since the retention dept at Verizon told me which store had them in stock, and told me to go to that store. Not a big deal though, since my Omnia will be here in a few hours.

Two hopes:

1. It works with the bluetooth in my Altima.
2. Not a huge pain to type compared to my XV6800.

syrguy1969 12-03-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 556848)

Two hopes:

1. It works with the bluetooth in my Altima.

I have had no problem connecting a few different BT itema already in my testing...a few headsets and a Tom Tom so I would be optimistic!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 556848)
2. Not a huge pain to type compared to my XV6800.

The typing takes getting used to, but I just installed SPB Keyboard last night, and it is like the iphone keypad....bigger buttons and the letter immage showing but not being typed until you release, so I really think that is the way to go for those of us with large fingers!!!!

ckeegan 12-03-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 556962)
I have had no problem connecting a few different BT itema already in my testing...a few headsets and a Tom Tom so I would be optimistic!!!!

Unfortunately all the HTC devices out right now, which run WM6.1, can connect to pretty much everything except Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. From my findings and discussions with HTC and Microsoft, it seems that HTC implemented Microsoft's Bluetooth stack, as opposed to the Widcomm stack used in other WM6 devices.

Long story short, the i760 worked, so my hopes are up for the Omnia. I'll post a review a few hours after I get, and have had time to mess with it.

syrguy1969 12-03-2008 12:39 PM

Cool...good luck and feel free to post any questions...I still have a few, but I have also learned a lot of answers in the past few days LOL!!!!

ckeegan 12-03-2008 05:28 PM

The Samsung Omnia DOES NOT work with the 2008 Nissan Altima (w/ nav), and therefore is unlikely to work with the Infiniti G35, or G37.

This means that every single WM6 or WM6.1 device will not work with these vehicles.

So pissed.

petewill 12-04-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 552685)
Interesting outcome. I spoke to customer service before going to the store, they told me which of the 3 local stores had them.

What number did you call? I have tried calling *611 a couple of times and they won't tell me anything! I actually am looking for the Touch Pro around the Phoenix area. No stores seem to have them!

ckeegan 12-04-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petewill (Post 559370)
What number did you call? I have tried calling *611 a couple of times and they won't tell me anything! I actually am looking for the Touch Pro around the Phoenix area. No stores seem to have them!

I actually called 800-922-0204, but when I told them I was thinking about switching to AT&T, they were more than happy to give me the information I wanted.

Timeband 12-04-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrumo (Post 551256)
Battery life Omnia 5 vs XV-6900 7 I always forget to turn off Omnia's WIFI

Any update on the battery life with WiFi off?

The battery life on the Vogue CDMA (6900) is poor. If the Battery life on the Omnia is worse it would really give me pause.