PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Omnia (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Samsung Omnia reviews. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46314)

kyrumo 11-30-2008 07:52 PM

Re: Samsung Omnia reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 551276)
You sound like me with coverage....live in Syracuse + travel to NJ!!! (and from your ID, we both work in the medical field) I haven't traveled with this yet, but so far the signal strength seems pretty good, certainly as good, if not better than any phone/PPC I have used!!!

Call quality seems pretty good from both ends, very loud at times!! For speaker, it isn' the best, but if you turn the volume down a bit, it is definitly workable!!

I haven't used VZNAV, but thanks for this link...I read it, and can tell you I have NOT been able to get GoogleMaps to connect with GPS at all yet!!!!

I can't speak in direct comparison with the devices you mentioned, but in the past couple days it seems to have a pretty good battery life. I have only had light call/text days because of the holidays, but I will keep my eye on it!!!

Im gonna install GPS Viewer and see if it detects anything

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrumo (Post 551289)
Im gonna install GPS Viewer and see if it detects anything

Please let me know...that is an app I haven't seen yet.

P.S. Looks like our reviews were pretty close as well....cool!!

kyrumo 11-30-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 551339)
Please let me know...that is an app I haven't seen yet.

P.S. Looks like our reviews were pretty close as well....cool!!

GPS Viewer is not detecting anything and yes its turned on haha.
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the Verizon stuff in the main menu.

doctorPDA 11-30-2008 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

With respect to GPS, Lisa Gade over at mobiletechreview.com seems to usually get 3rd party GPS programs to work. She didn't mention it in the link I provided earlier regarding the Verizon Omnia (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...s&Number=31947), but take a look at this review of the Samsung Epix under "GPS" (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Samsung-Epix.htm)........................ QUOTE: "If you wish to use something other than AT&T Navigator, we suggest you download AT&T Navigator using the pre-installed download link on the phone, then run it once. Why? It seems to setup the GPS for use, and after doing so, we had no trouble using other mapping and navigation programs. We've tested Google Maps, Windows Live Search and Garmin Mobile XT and all worked. For some reason Windows Live Search didn't default to "GPS intermediate driver" in settings, so we had to set that to get Live Search working. We tested CoPilot Live 7, and that package didn't work with the Epix (couldn't speak to the GPS)."

Perhaps if you download and run VZ Navigator first, then the GPS may be "setup for use"? (you could try it out, since apparently you get 1 month free VZ navigator per VZ website.......) Does the Omnia have "Quick GPS"? If so, I would run that too. Perhaps this is how she got Google maps to work on the Verizon Omnia. In her reviews, she usually tests if Garmin XT and CoPilot 7 work, but I suspect she will have problems since the GPS is locked, but I will follow up her full review of the Verizon Omnia....

syrguy1969, are there any areas where you lose reception and can't make a call? Does the speaker "distort" at the highest volume? Does the battery last for an entire day? BTW, I just finished medical residency training and I use Windows Mobile for medical programs like UpToDate, Lexi Drugs, etc..... Otherwise I would probably get a "non Windows Mobile" device....

syrguy1969 11-30-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorPDA (Post 551349)
Thanks for the info.
syrguy1969, are there any areas where you lose reception and can't make a call? Does the speaker "distort" at the highest volume? Does the battery last for an entire day? BTW, I just finished medical residency training and I use Windows Mobile for medical programs like UpToDate, Lexi Drugs, etc..... Otherwise I would probably get a "non Windows Mobile" device....

I'll check out the GPS info you sent. The sound gets a bit distorted at the loudest on some calls, so I have to turn it down just a bit....not a bad thing in my book.

I have no problem making it through a day so far on the battery, but I haven't had a heavy day yet...I'll let you know more as I learn it!!!

I work in digital imaging at a University hospital, so I am familiar with the apps you mention!!

ckeegan 12-01-2008 11:57 AM

A long shot, but is anyone using the Omnia BT with a Nissan/Infiniti vehicle that has nav? Reason I ask is because I currently have the XV6800, and the BT stack on that device isn't compatible with my 2008 Altima. Actually, everyone with a Touch Pro, Fuze, Tilt, XV6850, XV6800 is having the same problem. Therefore, I contacted Verizon and they're willing to bump my NE2 by 7 months, and one of my options is the Omnia.

Obviously I want to make sure BT in the Omnia will work before I pull the trigger and go with the Omnia.

syrguy1969 12-01-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 552331)
A long shot, but is anyone using the Omnia BT with a Nissan/Infiniti vehicle that has nav? Reason I ask is because I currently have the XV6800, and the BT stack on that device isn't compatible with my 2008 Altima. Actually, everyone with a Touch Pro, Fuze, Tilt, XV6850, XV6800 is having the same problem. Therefore, I contacted Verizon and they're willing to bump my NE2 by 7 months, and one of my options is the Omnia.

Obviously I want to make sure BT in the Omnia will work before I pull the trigger and go with the Omnia.

Don't blame you there, but can't help with a yes or no!! I can suggest this though:

Go to a VZW store that has one, have them break out an operational unit and see if they can pair it with your vehicle righ there!! Trust me....they want to sell it, and they will do it! I tried the same type of thing a few years ago woth my 700wx and a Tom Tom device!!

ckeegan 12-01-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 552337)
Go to a VZW store that has one, have them break out an operational unit and see if they can pair it with your vehicle righ there!! Trust me....they want to sell it, and they will do it! I tried the same type of thing a few years ago woth my 700wx and a Tom Tom device!!

Interesting outcome. I spoke to customer service before going to the store, they told me which of the 3 local stores had them. Went there, employees at the store refused to let me see one until they were released for sale in-store.

Therefore, if anyone happens to know first-hand whether the Omnia works with the Altima, I'd appreciate the response. Otherwise, I guess I still have the worry-free to fall back on.

syrguy1969 12-01-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckeegan (Post 552685)
Interesting outcome. I spoke to customer service before going to the store, they told me which of the 3 local stores had them. Went there, employees at the store refused to let me see one until they were released for sale in-store.

Therefore, if anyone happens to know first-hand whether the Omnia works with the Altima, I'd appreciate the response. Otherwise, I guess I still have the worry-free to fall back on.

WOW....that was rude of them!! I hope you spoke to a manager...Usually they will fall all over themselves to make a sale....sorry it didn't work out!!

bwonish 12-02-2008 11:37 AM

They aren't allowed to sell or touch the units in the store until Dec 8. Right now, the only release of the device is through online sales or telesales. Go back next monday and they should be willing to help...