PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: Page plus

LocalHero is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob needing some direction...

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to the Omnia and in fact new to smartphones....
I actually don't have an Omnia yet but expect it to arrive tomorrow or the next day according to the ebay seller I won it thru. I plan on activating it on Page Plus.

I'm not nearly as computer savvy as most posters on this forum seem to be and I'm a little overwhelmed reading thru the posts about flashing roms, kitchens, unlocking this and that.... a lot of it is way over my head.

I'm assuming the omnia I get will come with the original rom and win mobile set up and from reading on the HOFO forums I suspect I'll want to install spb shell on the phone to make it more user friendly.

So my question here is what steps do I want to take when I first get this phone? Should I just use it first and see what works for me and what doesn't? Or should I start by flashing the rom, installing spb shell (or other options?), upgrading win mobile, etc. What are the suggestions and in which order should I manage them to set the phone up for ease of use and most complete functionality.

I will mostly use it as a phone. I like the idea of net access but the Page Plus unlimited plan only gives me 20mb/mo data usage so I'll be relying on the wifi for that mostly. I'm not one to play games or watch videos on a phone but I like and will use the decent camera.

I don't really know what apps are available for the Omnia but I figure it's been out long enough that there should be some decent ones. I'd be happy for suggestions or pointers to see what's available.

Thanks,
John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia