PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Moment (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   HTC HERO vs. SAMSUNG MOMENT (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=111029)

sprintgirl 02-27-2010 10:17 PM

Re: HTC HERO vs. SAMSUNG MOMENT

Torn. Love em both.

elephant007 02-28-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintgirl (Post 1596372)
Torn. Love em both.

On this episode of Jerry Springer, watch for a girl that loves both of them... =D>

sprintgirl 02-28-2010 07:25 PM

LOL! I kno thats what it sounds like. I just think they both have loveable features. However, if u CANNOT live without an actual hard keyboard...the moment. I had a TP tho and only used the keyboard to slide open n closed to unfreez my ph. NEVER used it to type. But here is my issue...pressure sensitive touch screen vs heat sensitive. I always used my stylus or my acryllics. So where I am torn is whether or not I can survive on the Hero without sacrificing my high maintenence love for fake nails. Can i type flat fingered? lol. That is honestly my biggest hesitation and why I havent made a decision. I want the flash player capability and aesthetic design of the Hero and tend to be extremely brand loyal...meaning another HTC is probably in my future...but the Moment has me confused. It is the temptation of having that keyboard as a backup plan. Also, I am not the biggest fan of a trackball over the trackpad. To me it seems whatever is on the ball on the outside will be rolled on in to the inside of the phone...dust dirt oil etc. BB just changed to the trackpad and my guess is they finally realized just how many trackballs they replaced. Both phones are durable from my experience. I am not the biggest picture taker...so the 5.0 mp of the Hero vs. the 3.2 w flash of the Moment really doesnt make a difference to me. Love the setup of the screens of the Hero but can easily be done to the Moment...so u see there isnt really a way for me to decide other than to keep playing with them both...or....have them both ;) .

rainfreak 02-28-2010 07:57 PM

The Hero has more support for custom ROMs and the techie side of it. The Moment has a much faster processor and IMHO is noticably more responsive. I ultimately chose the Moment for the speed and performance and I am not frustrated at all.

But with that said, this is the year for Android. Wach out.. Sprint is going to be releasing a new one in a couple of months. We are all hoping that it is the Supersonic...

Carla 02-28-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintgirl (Post 1597984)
LOL! I kno thats what it sounds like. I just think they both have loveable features. However, if u CANNOT live without an actual hard keyboard...the moment. I had a TP tho and only used the keyboard to slide open n closed to unfreez my ph. NEVER used it to type. But here is my issue...pressure sensitive touch screen vs heat sensitive. I always used my stylus or my acryllics. So where I am torn is whether or not I can survive on the Hero without sacrificing my high maintenence love for fake nails. Can i type flat fingered? lol. That is honestly my biggest hesitation and why I havent made a decision. I want the flash player capability and aesthetic design of the Hero and tend to be extremely brand loyal...meaning another HTC is probably in my future...but the Moment has me confused. It is the temptation of having that keyboard as a backup plan. Also, I am not the biggest fan of a trackball over the trackpad. To me it seems whatever is on the ball on the outside will be rolled on in to the inside of the phone...dust dirt oil etc. BB just changed to the trackpad and my guess is they finally realized just how many trackballs they replaced. Both phones are durable from my experience. I am not the biggest picture taker...so the 5.0 mp of the Hero vs. the 3.2 w flash of the Moment really doesnt make a difference to me. Love the setup of the screens of the Hero but can easily be done to the Moment...so u see there isnt really a way for me to decide other than to keep playing with them both...or....have them both ;) .

I didn't have a problem using either phone as far as touch goes, I don't have fake nails though and I have small fingers lol. I am not using my Hero at the moment simply because of the lack of a real keyboard. I text WAY to much and honestly the on-screen stock Moment keyboard seemed more accurate to me. Make sure you try the Moment KB though, I did have to type with my fingertips to be accurate with it, and with my nails which aren't very long, it was no biggie, but if you have fakies it mayyyyy not be a great idea.

I didn't use either trackball or pad unless I was in recovery mode flashing something.

The camera on the Hero, even though it is 5mp doesn't at all impress me. It is on par with the Moments IMO, and the flash on the Moment is SERIOUS!

When I am using my Moment I get bored faster then with the Hero. Like Rain said, the Moment has a faster processor, but being someone that owns both and uses both back and fourth, the Hero with a custom Kernel and ROM hangs right with my Moment if you use SetCPU.

Screens, you can't beat the Moments, it is just B-U-T-full. Also consider, doing ANYTHING on the Hero is easy, even a cave man can do it type stuff. The Moment is a little trickier, and you have to be willing to really want to do something to take the plunge since it can be intimidating.

I am no good for an opinion of one over the other. Both of mine are going in "The Drawer" once the Supersonic hits, no question about it. For now I am rocking the TP2 today LOL!

pkopalek 02-28-2010 09:38 PM

An ex-iPhone user who has a Hero converted me to Android.

The Hero's touch screen is far superior, IMO. Its sensitivity is very well tuned to human touch. The Hero touch screen is hardware-wise almost identical to the Eris. The Moment performs similar to the Droid, depending on the types of tests.

I played with both in the store, and much more extensively with rooted versions of each phone.

http://labs.moto.com/wp-content/uplo...nanalysis3.jpg

MY bias toward the Hero is related to two more important things. I think HTC Sense is excellent. It slows down the phone for sure, but the way it looks, feels, its capabilities, and its integration (between widgets, apps, home screens, etc) is excellent. It's very connected.

My second gripe is that I can't use a physical keyboard. As a Verizon person, it's why I felt like the Droid was a waste of space. Physical keyboards, I can't bring myself to use. I feel like a teenage girl texting on one. I can t9 faster than anyone I know can full keyboard anyway, and the Hero's touch screen does that VERY well for a touch screen phone. I'm glad I bought the Verizon counterpart.

apristel 03-05-2010 04:12 AM

OK so a week or so into having a Hero and a Moment.... the Moment has sat in the box for almost the entire time.

I'm having a hard time finding a reason to even mess with it. I thought I'd miss my TP2's keyboard when I bought my Hero, but strangely, I don't. I never thought I'd survive without the physical keyboard.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll roll out the Moment...maybe not.

The custom rom scene with the Hero is happening, I don't see much for the Moment at the moment ;)

elephant007 03-05-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apristel (Post 1608121)
OK so a week or so into having a Hero and a Moment.... the Moment has sat in the box for almost the entire time.

I'm having a hard time finding a reason to even mess with it. I thought I'd miss my TP2's keyboard when I bought my Hero, but strangely, I don't. I never thought I'd survive without the physical keyboard.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll roll out the Moment...maybe not.

The custom rom scene with the Hero is happening, I don't see much for the Moment at the moment ;)

I discovered the reason why, it's because the Moment is not as simplistic as the Hero, meaning the file system the Moment uses is not a typical file system which *nix systems use. It uses Samsung RFS (Robust FAT File System) http://www.samsung.com/global/busine..._Brochure.html
Once this file system is figured out, there will be custom ROMs available. If you like the Hero more, why even bother trying out the Moment, you'll just be constantly comparing it to the Hero :)
Right now, me just rooting my phone is satisfying enough for me

nvmyc 03-05-2010 11:44 AM

I had the Hero for the first 3 months it was out...I rooted it, loved it but still the slow processor got the best of me and I traded phones with someone to get the Moment....Looking back I question why I even got the Hero, don't get me wrong it is a great device but HTC had no business putting that slow processor in there...I can actually dial a number now which was a task with the Hero cause after tapping 2 or 3 consecutive numbers it would pause...Vanilla android is okay...I got aHome which is adequate compared to Sense UI. This is my biggest thing though and anyone that has had both phones can probably agree with me....I cannot get the moment to ever slow down and pause/freeze...I can open app after app but I cannot say the same for the Hero. Everyday I use to have WinMo flashbacks and feel like I was in the Twilight Zone. Thankfully I found a sucker to take my Hero and give me his Moment....I won't look back, that's for sure.

schufly 03-06-2010 10:43 PM

Like many here, I've had both. Flipped back and forth, and the TP2......the guy at best best buy was getting pissed at me. I love HTC's user experience. Everything is easy to do as an earlier poster said. I ended up staying with the moment because of the keyboard. I'm a mechanic....big dumb fingers.... typing was just to much work on the Hero and I would wind up with too many errors. The moment does have the the awesome screen and camera FLASH. Not sure why the moment is the red headed stepchild. Some accessories and stuff would be really nice. Even Seidio has yet to develope anything for it. If 2.1 does hit the moment at the end of this month, as the rumors say, watch out. This will be an awesome device.