PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Intrepid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Screen Protectors? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=97596)

haus 11-19-2009 07:14 PM

Screen Protectors?

Who has found a screen protector they like? I bought a 3-pack from Ebay for $5 and they're awful (IMHO). Too soft, impossible to put on, and almost tacky on the surface which makes sliding the lock screen a real chore, not to mention any swiping motions on the screen (like the start menu or a web browsing session).

They were from clearscreens, who I give high ranks to for being a good seller, I just happen to dislike these protectors.

I had bought a set for my Touch Pro from louis-pr, and I liked those a lot. They don't have any for the intrepid (yet?), though I suppose I could buy larger ones and just cut them. Would prefer a nice stock size, though.

Wonder if anyone has any recommendations or good finds yet.

jp0213x 11-19-2009 09:48 PM

Re: Screen Protectors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 1344970)
Who has found a screen protector they like? I bought a 3-pack from Ebay for $5 and they're awful (IMHO). Too soft, impossible to put on, and almost tacky on the surface which makes sliding the lock screen a real chore, not to mention any swiping motions on the screen (like the start menu or a web browsing session).

They were from clearscreens, who I give high ranks to for being a good seller, I just happen to dislike these protectors.

I had bought a set for my Touch Pro from louis-pr, and I liked those a lot. They don't have any for the intrepid (yet?), though I suppose I could buy larger ones and just cut them. Would prefer a nice stock size, though.

Wonder if anyone has any recommendations or good finds yet.

I got the same ones off ebay, awful is right. I ordered a legit one from zagg. The invisible shield IMO are great. I use one on my watch face and now one for my intrepid.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

haus 11-19-2009 10:29 PM

Ok, that's a great tip. I've read about those, but never used one. Can you tell me a bit about how it looks on the screen and if it's smooth (easy to finger slide on)? Can it be removed sometime in the future?

The Ebay one looks like I have saran wrap covering my screen. Over the course of a few days most of the bubbles worked themselves out, thankfully, but it still looks bad and feels like one of those space-age grips things you stick on the bottom of your GPS to make it hold onto the dashboard in your car.

jp0213x 11-19-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 1345594)
Ok, that's a great tip. I've read about those, but never used one. Can you tell me a bit about how it looks on the screen and if it's smooth (easy to finger slide on)? Can it be removed sometime in the future?

The Ebay one looks like I have saran wrap covering my screen. Over the course of a few days most of the bubbles worked themselves out, thankfully, but it still looks bad and feels like one of those space-age grips things you stick on the bottom of your GPS to make it hold onto the dashboard in your car.

I am still waiting for mine to come, but the one on my watch is great. You can't even tell that the shield is on the watch face, it doesn't smudge its scratch proof and keep my watch face looking new and clean. I submitted a request with zagg to make a shield for the intrepid 2 weeks ago. They offered me the full body shield for free but I had to send my phone to them which I didn't want to do. I would have been without my phone. The item usually comes with a solution you spray on the shield before you apply to the phone screen. They have a squeegee you use to push the air bubble, it will take a few days to get the air out. You will have nice thin coat over the screen which is glare resistant and will not scratch.

haus 11-19-2009 11:44 PM

Cool. :) I should have offered mine...I have a few spare sprint phones lying around as backups!

I ordered one too. Thanks for submitting the request. I have a feeling it'll be kind of hard to get real accessories for this phone (like extended batteries, cases, etc.) so whatever comes our way that is useful is pretty handy.

jp0213x 11-19-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 1345794)
Cool. :) I should have offered mine...I have a few spare sprint phones lying around as backups!

I ordered one too. Thanks for submitting the request. I have a feeling it'll be kind of hard to get real accessories for this phone (like extended batteries, cases, etc.) so whatever comes our way that is useful is pretty handy.

I am currently using the samsung silicone case for the intrepid combined with the bootleg sandwich bag sheild from ebay. I can't wait to get this invisible shield come so I can take this thing off. Samsung offers a extended battery for the intrepid. Crazy huh

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/m...tteries-covers

1sae 11-20-2009 12:35 AM

Back when I bought mine, there weren't any for this phone so I just bought this one. Not a great fit, but once you cut it down to size, it fits perfect wide, and stops right past the Sprint logo. No bubbles and looks pretty clean all around and pretty good to the touch. Let us know about the zagg one. I might have to upgrade.

jillbiz 11-20-2009 12:48 PM

When I was still with Verizon I bought "Universal" screen protectors packaged by them. I had them on my Treo and put them on this phone as well. They are thick, which I like, and I haven't lost any sensitivity. The bubbles are easy to get out because they came with a little plastic rubbing card. They have grids so it's easy to cut. I had one on my Treo that lasted 2 years and when it was time to replace it it was easy.

jp0213x 11-20-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillbiz (Post 1347172)
When I was still with Verizon I bought "Universal" screen protectors packaged by them. I had them on my Treo and put them on this phone as well. They are thick, which I like, and I haven't lost any sensitivity. The bubbles are easy to get out because they came with a little plastic rubbing card. They have grids so it's easy to cut. I had one on my Treo that lasted 2 years and when it was time to replace it it was easy.

The zagg are custom cut.

raiderfan247365 11-20-2009 01:15 PM

invisishield is the best for sure, use it on ALL my phones, and gf's too :)

ramz858 11-20-2009 10:25 PM

definitely recommended to use on all girlfriends..better safe than sorry

jp0213x 11-22-2009 12:07 AM

Just got my invisible shield in the mail today, awesome screen protector.

haus 11-22-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramz858 (Post 1348786)
definitely recommended to use on all girlfriends..better safe than sorry

ROTF

jp0213x, I read some complaints that the Zaggs were also grippy, making slide gestures hard. I take it your experience is better than the Ebay ones?

jp0213x 11-22-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 1351663)
ROTF

jp0213x, I read some complaints that the Zaggs were also grippy, making slide gestures hard. I take it your experience is better than the Ebay ones?

No problems with the touch screen, the screen stays nice and clean. Just be careful when you when place the invisi shield on, it require you to apply a solution before applying. Just don't put too much and make sure it doesn't drip anywhere near the air piece where it can cause water damage. I applied mine last night, there are some water pockets I am waiting to dry up. The ebay one were just a quick fix until zagg came up with a custom cut out for the intrepid. I purchased the one off ebay thinking it would be a while before zagg came up with something.

canestim 11-25-2009 03:28 PM

Yeah, I bought the ones from clearscreens on ebay too. Man they are bobo haha. Seller is great but the product is not. Feels like you have an inch thick plastic wrap on top of it. I'll give the IS from Zagg a try, thanks.

haus 11-25-2009 07:34 PM

They must either ship from eastern europe or by pack mule (or maybe both?). Mine supposedly shipped on Friday and hasn't arrived yet.

Edit: it was a delayed Thanksgiving present. Arrived today; looking forward to putting it on but I have to wait until tonight since they say to leave the device alone for 12-24 hours after installation.

jp0213x 11-30-2009 11:10 AM

Hey Haus did you get your screen protector yet?

haus 11-30-2009 01:10 PM

I did (I had edited my post on Friday, the day it came). Seems pretty darn slow from SLC to the bay area...but even carrier pigeons have bad days.

The protector is good. The cut is perfect. Just a little bit smaller than the screen, which I actually prefer because it lets you line it up nicely. Having the liquid underneath gives you a little bit of time to slide it around to get just the placement you want before it starts to really stick. A+ for that.

The surface is good, if just a little tacky when your fingers aren't bone-dry. It's a lot better than the ebay ones, of course. Just seems like there's more friction. Maybe a B+ to A- for surface. This is of course a matter of personal preference; some people really like a bit of resistance.

There's still a little bit of "stippling" (for lack of my knowing the correct word). Basically the surface isn't perfectly flat. I don't have any bubbles or anything like that - just that it's not smooth like glass. At an angle you can clearly see tiny ridges in the plastic surface. My TP screen protectors were flat, so this is new to me. Maybe these are thinner and that's the reason; I don't know. I suspect that little bit of stippling is what causes the greater friction noted above.

I'm happy with it, though. Overall it looks good, fits well, and of course does what it's designed to do, which is to protect the screen without looking like crap or making the device hard to use.

jp0213x 11-30-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 1373762)
I did (I had edited my post on Friday, the day it came). Seems pretty darn slow from SLC to the bay area...but even carrier pigeons have bad days.

The protector is good. The cut is perfect. Just a little bit smaller than the screen, which I actually prefer because it lets you line it up nicely. Having the liquid underneath gives you a little bit of time to slide it around to get just the placement you want before it starts to really stick. A+ for that.

The surface is good, if just a little tacky when your fingers aren't bone-dry. It's a lot better than the ebay ones, of course. Just seems like there's more friction. Maybe a B+ to A- for surface. This is of course a matter of personal preference; some people really like a bit of resistance.

There's still a little bit of "stippling" (for lack of my knowing the correct word). Basically the surface isn't perfectly flat. I don't have any bubbles or anything like that - just that it's not smooth like glass. At an angle you can clearly see tiny ridges in the plastic surface. My TP screen protectors were flat, so this is new to me. Maybe these are thinner and that's the reason; I don't know. I suspect that little bit of stippling is what causes the greater friction noted above.

I'm happy with it, though. Overall it looks good, fits well, and of course does what it's designed to do, which is to protect the screen without looking like crap or making the device hard to use.

The trick is to use a spray instead of sponge, I had a spray solution from the invisible shield that I had used from previous phone. Spray your fingers and apply the spray both sides of the invisble shield to cut down on the finger prints. Also have to make sure you have a clean surface where you work. I made the mistake of using the sponge which mad things messy and complicated. With the sponge you have to worry about amount of water because you don't excess water to drip in open areas of the phone. I had to be very careful not to get water into the air piece. I ordered a second visi shield and used the spray the 2nd time around. Everything is nice and neat when you use the spray.

haus 11-30-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp0213x (Post 1374246)
The trick is to use a spray instead of sponge, I had a spray solution from the invisible shield that I had used from previous phone. Spray your fingers and apply the spray both sides of the invisble shield to cut down on the finger prints. Also have to make sure you have a clean surface where you work. I made the mistake of using the sponge which mad things messy and complicated. With the sponge you have to worry about amount of water because you don't excess water to drip in open areas of the phone. I had to be very careful not to get water into the air piece. I ordered a second visi shield and used the spray the 2nd time around. Everything is nice and neat when you use the spray.

Well, they sent me a sponge, so if that's what they sent me then that's what I'm using. :D

I don't believe the amount of liquid has any bearing on the stippling. It's just part of the plastic. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, the Ebay ones would be a 10 and these would be about a 1.5. So it's not really a big deal, but I do notice it in certain circumstances. The ones I used to use on the Touch Pro were flat like the original screen. Loved those, but they don't have them for the Intrepid yet. The drawback to those were that they would scratch up, so I replaced them once a month or so (they were about $3 each shipped, so invisi-shield would break even after 5-6 months).

wartorn 12-14-2009 04:56 PM

Protectors on sale (50%) at ZAGG today only.

http://www.zagg.com/j/newsletter/holiday_sale.html

SComp23 12-14-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartorn (Post 1412662)
Protectors on sale (50%) at ZAGG today only.

http://www.zagg.com/j/newsletter/holiday_sale.html

Doh! I just bought a Zagg knockoff from ebay yesterday, I wish I would have known aboot this!

jac1599 12-15-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SComp23 (Post 1412882)
Doh! I just bought a Zagg knockoff from ebay yesterday, I wish I would have known aboot this!

I've used Zagg knockoffs before and they are just as good so don't feel bad. I usually buy from a seller T.J.R. (http://myworld.ebay.com/t.j.r.) but they haven't made one for the Intrepid yet. They send you 2 (just in case you mess up once) for $5.95 shipped. The "Protectors gone Wild" line are the ones like Zagg.

dkent 02-02-2010 07:09 PM

Has anybody found a decent privacy filter that they like using with the device? I've seen a couple online such as Case-Mate and Amzer. How do the protection, lookability, and touch compare to screen protectors like the invisishield?

jpruett79 02-03-2010 12:11 AM

After doing some digging i found a lot of references to the Zagg protectors being custom cut pieces for 3M paint protection film. I looked around on ebay and found a 1ft x 2ft piece for 18 bucks shipped. I cut out a piece to cover my screen followed the instructions on zagg's website and it went well and looks great. If you have several things you would like to cover it may be a cheaper option. the item number on ebay is 300328941301

SComp23 02-03-2010 09:00 AM

I bought the Invisible Guard or whatever the knockoff Zagg is from ebay for $12 shipped. Product went on and works/looks EXCELLENT.