PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Intrepid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Weird Screen? And no text indicator? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139592)

Jaykay 01-13-2011 04:03 AM

Weird Screen? And no text indicator?

Well, after having tons of issues with my Treo Pro, Sprint (after 3 failed attempts) finally sent me a decent replacement in the Samsung Intrepid.

So far I like the phone, but a couple things are confusing and I'm not sure if it's normal for this phone or not.

First, when the phone is in power save mode (ya know after the phone has been idle for 30 seconds or whatever), is no visual indicator that I've received a text. Meaning, when the phone is on idle and I get a text, I hear the tone, but the screen remains dark. I mean, I would expect the phone to at least light up so I can get a visual cue. Is this normal?

Second, also when the phone is in power save mode...the screen is completely blank unlike my Treo Pro which displayed the Time in sort of a 'screen saver' mode, as the time would move around the screen periodically. What's odd is that if I miss a call, there is zero indicator on the screen to show it--meaning i have to hit the side button and 'wake' the phone every once in a while to make sure I haven't missed anything. This seems like a major flaw in the phone.

I just hope these aren't issues as this is the 3rd phone I've received from Sprint.

Thanks in advance.
Jay

haus 01-13-2011 01:12 PM

Re: Weird Screen? And no text indicator?

The first is normal for the Samsung Intrepid. The failure of the notification light is a well known bug from day one and (surprise!) Samsung never fixed it. The same issue plagued at least one of their other devices and was actually fixed, but the fix for that phone causes problems on the Intrepid and doesn't work. So you're out of luck with the Intrepid if notification lights are of any importance to you.

And yes, it is a major flaw. :)

I remember the treo screensaver mode. It was interesting but probably eats (some) battery and most smartphones these days don't offer that option unless you're plugged in. Again you'd normally rely on the indicator light, but it will never work on the Intrepid.

Jaykay 01-13-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 2036034)
The first is normal for the Samsung Intrepid. The failure of the notification light is a well known bug from day one and (surprise!) Samsung never fixed it. The same issue plagued at least one of their other devices and was actually fixed, but the fix for that phone causes problems on the Intrepid and doesn't work. So you're out of luck with the Intrepid if notification lights are of any importance to you.

And yes, it is a major flaw. :)

I remember the treo screensaver mode. It was interesting but probably eats (some) battery and most smartphones these days don't offer that option unless you're plugged in. Again you'd normally rely on the indicator light, but it will never work on the Intrepid.

I see...so in lieu of a screen lighting up (for incoming texts) or a screen saver indicator (for missed calls/texts), Samsung opted for an LED indicator.....which doesn't work. :banghead:

Damn...maybe I should've opted for an HTC Snap. But then again, almost everything has issues. Too bad, no one developed a work-around for this.

Fuzzy Wuzzy 01-13-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 2035845)

First, when the phone is in power save mode (ya know after the phone has been idle for 30 seconds or whatever), is no visual indicator that I've received a text. Meaning, when the phone is on idle and I get a text, I hear the tone, but the screen remains dark. I mean, I would expect the phone to at least light up so I can get a visual cue. Is this normal?

Yup, my phone does that too, unfortunately. Same with the notification light bug and I've gone through about three Intrepids so far.

This phone had a lot of potential, too bad Samsung never fixed its problems.