PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   epic RAM question.... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132707)

2kidz 08-31-2010 01:50 PM

epic RAM question....

ok, i'm quite new to the android world so please be patient and talk slow and assume that i dont know what the hell i'm doing...with THAT said, the 1st of many questions that i am sure to have is my RAM is currently at 261/325mb's...i am not running any programs...is this normal??? seems like a pretty high number to me...if this is not normal, how can i DECREASE my RAM???

JickBahTech 08-31-2010 02:07 PM

Re: epic RAM question....

I'm assuming it's because of all the apps that run in the background.
If you use the built in TouchWiz task manager you can't see them, but if you load ATK you can see many more apps running.

Truthfully it hasn't really hampered the phone that much unless I have a BUNCH of games running in the background...

tokuzumi 08-31-2010 02:11 PM

This info tends to start battles of epic (hee-hee) proportions....but....

That's just the way Android is. In most cases, you will see a high percentage of ram utilization, but performance on the phone is pretty much the same. As you open stuff, background programs either give up ram for the active process, or close altogether. My old hero rarely ever shows more than 40 mb of free ram. My evo will fluctuate between 100-250, depending on how far out from a fresh boot I am. But the performance is always the same.

I would only worry about this if you are having performance issues with the phone.

2kidz 08-31-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1930242)
This info tends to start battles of epic (hee-hee) proportions....but....

That's just the way Android is. In most cases, you will see a high percentage of ram utilization, but performance on the phone is pretty much the same. As you open stuff, background programs either give up ram for the active process, or close altogether. My old hero rarely ever shows more than 40 mb of free ram. My evo will fluctuate between 100-250, depending on how far out from a fresh boot I am. But the performance is always the same.

I would only worry about this if you are having performance issues with the phone.

K...thanks guys...coming from the tp-2 like many others, i assume there will be alot of comparisons between the 2 phones although both are learly on different OS...so, here is the 1st one, is there some type of RAM cleaner similar to the one that was available for my tp-2?

2kidz 08-31-2010 02:48 PM

oh yeah, and how can we send multiple texts.....and, how do i delete emails? toldu guys, i'ma have lots of questions so please be patient and bear with me...k? k! ;-)

tokuzumi 08-31-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2kidz (Post 1930309)
K...thanks guys...coming from the tp-2 like many others, i assume there will be alot of comparisons between the 2 phones although both are learly on different OS...so, here is the 1st one, is there some type of RAM cleaner similar to the one that was available for my tp-2?

I used to use Advanced Task Killer (you may see the acronym ATK thrown around here, and over the internet in general). This will allow you to close apps completely. Just be careful. You can close out things you don't want to close out. Just pay attention when using this app, and you should be fine.

Just a side note: I stopped using ATK a few months ago, and I haven't noticed any difference, in both phone performance, and battery life.

darren.wlsn1 08-31-2010 03:14 PM

op, google questions also for faster answers also, ram on epic im not even worrying about really, theres plenty and i got lots of stuff running with no issues.

2kidz 08-31-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1930373)
op, google questions also for faster answers also, ram on epic im not even worrying about really, theres plenty and i got lots of stuff running with no issues.

ok, i'm headed to google but while i have your attn, can i ask another quick question? ok, if i am on a site, can i save it to my favorites? if so, how? i'm leavn work now and didnt have time to google it but thanks for responding!

2kidz 09-01-2010 09:42 AM

is it possible to add signatures to texts and how can i delete messages from my aol email? can i only do this by licking on the 'x'?

*googled these questions to no avail*

clockcycle 09-02-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2kidz (Post 1931287)
is it possible to add signatures to texts and how can i delete messages from my aol email? can i only do this by licking on the 'x'?

*googled these questions to no avail*

Licking on the "x" usually does give results.. But now sure they are the results you were looking for.. :evil4:

-CC