PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   A Few Questions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131958)

JohnnyOnTheSpot 08-20-2010 02:00 AM

A Few Questions

I'm deeply considering reserving an Epic tomorrow morning, but I have a few questions first.

-Will I be able to transfer my contacts from my TP2 to the Epic, or will Sprint have to do it/I'll do it manually?
-Is there a back-up program (such as SPB)?
-Can I tether to my laptop?
-Can I connect the phone via USB and read the memory card?
-How is the audio output, and is there a decent audio player with some sort of audio booster?
-Is there any issue with too many e-mails/sms as there is on the TP2?
-Threaded SMS?
-Are there a lot of free programs on the marketplace, or will I be able to download some off of this site and transfer them over?
-Picture Speed Dial?
-Are there any glaring differences between Android and WinMo that I should really know about?

I know some of these are very simple, but they're large concerns of mine. I've been running WinMo for 6 years now, plus I hate change. I just think it's time to give Android a try, and I'm just a bit concerned. Thanks for any help I get.

ppcgpirate 08-20-2010 02:36 AM

Re: A Few Questions

you should watch some of the video reviews,

google backs up your contacts to your gmail account.
the phone most likely will let you connect thru the usb. it's like a standard thing now.
you'll have to pay an additional $30/mo to tether unless you root it and go about it in a devious manner, :-p
most reviewers have mentioned the sound quality is great
android has the largest percentage of free apps of any marketplace
there is picture dialing, watch the video review, i suggest the mobile burn review.
android is much better than winmo (i own the tp2)

Johnny.Bravo 08-20-2010 07:03 AM

I have to agree with ppcgpirate....Android is way better than WinMo. I used the TP and then the TP2 for a couple of years, and I too was a bit wary of switching to Android. I bought an HTC Hero and within an hour I was convinced. Android is extremely user friendly, highly customizable, and very intuitive. The interface with your PC is a bit different, but its easy to figure out how to use. And a lot of the best (and most necessary) apps are free.

As far as all the other details you are worried about, as a fellow TP2 user I can tell you that I am really looking forward to Aug 31st. I loved my TP2, and the Epic is like the same phone only bigger, faster and has Android. I brought the HTC Hero back to the store because I really need the physical keyboard. That's my favorite aspect of the TP2, and the Epic has it - and bigger. I think you should run down to BB or RS and reserve yours today.

hc3cuz 08-20-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 1918128)

-Will I be able to transfer my contacts from my TP2 to the Epic, or will Sprint have to do it/I'll do it manually?

X2 on this question. I paln on buying an Epic but wont be really happy if I have to manually enter in all my contacts. I have at least 200 contacts

mapcom1 08-20-2010 10:48 AM

well i guess the question is can you sync from your outlook on your pc to android to get you contacts?

I'm also wondering how the speaker is? my TP2 spoiled me with my lil sound system.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 08-20-2010 11:37 AM

Thanks so far guys. So about the tethering, is the Wifi thing free or does that cost extra? They brag about it in all of their commercials. And rooting, you say? I'm ok with doing things in a devious manner...

Also, when you zoom in/out on a web page, does it a re-allign the text? I really like that about the TP2.

Ah, also, it says you can't use AIM, but can you use AIM if it's signed into your Gmail account?

I'm watching the Mobile Burn review right now and I'm 99% sold.

revaaron 08-20-2010 12:58 PM

the TP2 has been the bane of my existence since november. I do like 1K txts a month and if you have 1K txts on the TP2, it dies. The android port is so much better.

edit: the 31st can't come soon enough.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 08-20-2010 01:57 PM

Yea, the TP2 is garbage. I honestly would rather have a Mogul again. I just went and pre-ordered the Epic, I was 2nd to do so so I should get one. My only concern at this point is the tethering/Wifi access point. $30 a month is too steep...should this problem be addressed for free? Or, is there a link to this rooting maneuver that alleviates the problem?

JohnnyOnTheSpot 08-20-2010 02:09 PM

Oh, and I was worried about transferring my contacts...not an issue:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001148902.aspx

hookahzorr 08-20-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 1918558)
Oh, and I was worried about transferring my contacts...not an issue:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001148902.aspx

Hey me too thanks :)