PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Galaxy Series (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Epic availability (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130832)

testacon 08-05-2010 11:03 AM

Epic availability

Do you think that the Epic will be as hard to get, as the EVO currently is?

I wonder this for two reasons, since Samsung is making the screen and the phone themselves, they should be easily able to make as many as the demand are for them.

The second reason being, everyone probably has an EVO and they aren't jumping ship anytime soon. A small percentage of them might sell their EVO and get the Epic but hopefully not enough to cause the shortages that the EVO still to this date has.

You also have the people that hate Samsung so that's just extra gravy for availability.

Thoughts?

Scientific 08-05-2010 11:21 AM

Re: Epic availability

Quote:

Originally Posted by testacon (Post 1899696)
Do you think that the Epic will be as hard to get, as the EVO currently is?

I wonder this for two reasons, since Samsung is making the screen and the phone themselves, they should be easily able to make as many as the demand are for them.

The second reason being, everyone probably has an EVO and they aren't jumping ship anytime soon. A small percentage of them might sell their EVO and get the Epic but hopefully not enough to cause the shortages that the EVO still to this date has.

You also have the people that hate Samsung so that's just extra gravy for availability.

Thoughts?

I doubt the demand for this phone will be as big as it is/was for the EVO....the EVO was given out to thousands at the Google I/O conference and essentially teased everyone else as to what was coming soon. Even the EVO forum here at PPCG was rowdy for the months before it came out...this forum not so much.

gTen 08-05-2010 11:41 AM

Even if the demand is high I'm sure they can meet it..I mean they sold 500k of them in 30 days in south korea....when you manufacture the device fully you usually have the upper hand in these kind of things...

tahlsr 08-05-2010 10:17 PM

I've been feeling rowdy for a while : )

Carla 08-06-2010 01:20 AM

Don't forget those of us that Have an Evo and are not going to sell it to get one. There are a few of us that want it all :)

pinkbunniz 08-06-2010 01:37 AM

While I would love to try the epic I don't see myself jumping to get one. Samsung hasn't wowed me on any mobile device, ever. I don't think everyone will have the issues for a few reasons: samsung will not have to wait for major hardware from other companies, all major wireless carriers will have some form of this device, and with all the other android powered devices going to other carriers sprint won't be generating as many customers coming from other providers. This is just my opinion but, I think I have some pretty valid points. :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

gTen 08-06-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkbunniz (Post 1900995)
While I would love to try the epic I don't see myself jumping to get one. Samsung hasn't wowed me on any mobile device, ever. I don't think everyone will have the issues for a few reasons: samsung will not have to wait for major hardware from other companies, all major wireless carriers will have some form of this device, and with all the other android powered devices going to other carriers sprint won't be generating as many customers coming from other providers. This is just my opinion but, I think I have some pretty valid points. :)

How much does it take to wow you? I mean as far as specs this device beats any on the market..it certainly brings more to the table then the EVO did in comparison to what was out at the time.. being the Incredible...(I mean in general, not for sprint..for sprint it made a difference)

Well sprint may get those people who wanted an EVO but is out of stock for them, and some people want the keyboard for example, others want what the cdma version brings like LED, front facing camera and etc...

The biggest drawback as far as customers is sprint taking too long to announce it and lack of advertisement...>.>..otherwise I can easily see it outsell an EVO..

TripleAgent 08-06-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1901000)
How much does it take to wow you? I mean as far as specs this device beats any on the market..it certainly brings more to the table then the EVO did in comparison to what was out at the time.. being the Incredible...(I mean in general, not for sprint..for sprint it made a difference)

Well sprint may get those people who wanted an EVO but is out of stock for them, and some people want the keyboard for example, others want what the cdma version brings like LED, front facing camera and etc...

The biggest drawback as far as customers is sprint taking too long to announce it and lack of advertisement...>.>..otherwise I can easily see it outsell an EVO..

Yeah, they're making a major error not pushing this thing. The EVO isn't sold out ONLY because the phone was first with 4G, and great hardware. Samsung is advertising, but since Sprint:

-has the only version that is unique
-will make around 240 extra per phone over 2 years
-doesn't have any more EVOs

they should pounce on the opportunity to reel in more customers. They gained more customers than they lost for the first time in ages. Because they had a good product and didn't bungle the launch for once.

photojenius27 08-06-2010 03:43 PM

Don't think the Epic will be as hard to get like the Evo has been, but then again won't know until it's out. So far the Vibrant has been pretty good about getting into stores with T-Mobile, I'd imagine they'd do the same with the Epic.

Not sure if it will do better as the Evo, mostly because the Evo is the first 4g phone, though the proccessor is better on the Epic, most of the Evo users will probably stick with what they have. The Evo is a nice phone.

If I was ready to go back to touchscreen I'd personally get the Epic. I had a chance to play with a Vibrant and I personally love the phone as smooth as it runs and T-Mobile doesn't even have the best coverage here, I could only imagine how much faster the Epic would be.

darren.wlsn1 08-06-2010 04:01 PM

instinct disaster wowed me, pass

austin420 08-06-2010 04:17 PM

what was the instinct disaster? i wasnt ever interested in it, so i didnt keep up with it when it launched...

gTen 08-06-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1901874)
what was the instinct disaster? i wasnt ever interested in it, so i didnt keep up with it when it launched...

I don't know what the Instinct disaster is either...

but one disaster I can tell is how Instinct was a dumb phone marketed as a brand phone by Sprint and forced ppl to sign the more expensive new contracts...

Either way there does not seem to be any issue the community itself did not handle...and hopefully Samsung keeps this as a 1 year thing similar to the iPhone giving us Gingerbread and the like on this version and etc..

darren.wlsn1 08-06-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1901898)
I don't know what the Instinct disaster is either...

but one disaster I can tell is how Instinct was a dumb phone marketed as a brand phone by Sprint and forced ppl to sign the more expensive new contracts...

Either way there does not seem to be any issue the community itself did not handle...and hopefully Samsung keeps this as a 1 year thing similar to the iPhone giving us Gingerbread and the like on this version and etc..

well you seem to know some of the disaster plus the phone was junk.

gTen 08-06-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1901905)
well you seem to know some of the disaster plus the phone was junk.

Well yeah..what do you expect from a dumbphone >.>..samsung even admitted the point of that phone was people with low budget to get a touch screen...and sprint is like "ooh our new flag ship phone" lol

But either way..everyone deserves a chance..mostly if you got 30 days to return it...but so far from what I've been hearing nothing is particularly devastating...

darren.wlsn1 08-06-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1901929)
Well yeah..what do you expect from a dumbphone >.>..samsung even admitted the point of that phone was people with low budget to get a touch screen...and sprint is like "ooh our new flag ship phone" lol

But either way..everyone deserves a chance..mostly if you got 30 days to return it...but so far from what I've been hearing nothing is particularly devastating...

funny when my mom had instinct it was said(by sprint) to be iphony killer. lol
agree with 30dy trial though.

pinkbunniz 08-06-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1901000)

It does take quite a bit to wow me, but what I had meant is that samsung hasnt really ever got me on any device I owned made by them. I have talked to some people who have had a chance to play with the keyboard, and I guess its pretty cheap. So while a slide out keyboard does seem enticing, I wont go switching to a different device because of that. And yes a hummingbird processor seems sweet, but i like my snapdragon too lol. I never said I wouldnt try the epic, but Ill just wait for someone else I know to get it and play around with it.
I do agree, on the other hand, that sprint really isnt doing a whole lot for this phone in terms of advertisement. You would think that they would want everyone else who didnt get an evo to try their second major 3g/4g phone. Plus from what I was told this phone will also hold the infamous $10 premium data fee, so more money for them.

gTen 08-06-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1901936)
funny when my mom had instinct it was said(by sprint) to be iphony killer. lol

Yes..things like that make me fear for the future of Sprint :(..it makes me think deep down Sprint doesn't even understand what exactly they are selling..or under the assumption they can sell a brick at a price of gold...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkbunniz (Post 1901961)
It does take quite a bit to wow me, but what I had meant is that samsung hasnt really ever got me on any device I owned made by them. I have talked to some people who have had a chance to play with the keyboard, and I guess its pretty cheap. So while a slide out keyboard does seem enticing, I wont go switching to a different device because of that. And yes a hummingbird processor seems sweet, but i like my snapdragon too lol. I never said I wouldnt try the epic, but Ill just wait for someone else I know to get it and play around with it.
I do agree, on the other hand, that sprint really isnt doing a whole lot for this phone in terms of advertisement. You would think that they would want everyone else who didnt get an evo to try their second major 3g/4g phone. Plus from what I was told this phone will also hold the infamous $10 premium data fee, so more money for them.

Well its more than that considering Sprint is having problems keeping the EVO in stock..and another phone is exactly what they need..but unfortunately sprint has always been a 1 phone company..thinking 1 phone is enough to drive a business..(sure maybe if you have an iphone it can pull it off mostly since it got a lot of popularity from the ipod)...but sprint cant do that, they really should stop trying to imitate AT&T..and even verizon and t-mobile both release 2 phones in a given period to help spread the sales and keep things in stock..sprint looks like its purposely trying to kill off its own business sometimes :/

Rager02 08-06-2010 06:54 PM

dont think it will be in big demand like Evo is/was,personally i want to play with one but doubt i will trade my evo in for one.Not much of an upgrade for one and the keyboard after being introduced to a capacitive screen with swype seems like a downer.

gTen 08-06-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmaine02 (Post 1902118)
dont think it will be in big demand like Evo is/was,personally i want to play with one but doubt i will trade my evo in for one.Not much of an upgrade for one and the keyboard after being introduced to a capacitive screen with swype seems like a downer.

It is only a little ticker then the EVO, but it definitely would be considered an upgrade considering it offers 2x the performance >.>...

The keyboard is up to each person to decide, but it has other uses like emulators, RDP, Gaming, texting/surfing internet without covering the screen and etc..but of course that is up to preference.

Either way I definitely think it is gonna be a hit...mostly if it can keep itself in stock, many people going in to get an Evo that is out of stock will most likely be offered by Sprint Reps to get this instead...

mlin 08-06-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1902190)
It is only a little ticker then the EVO, but it definitely would be considered an upgrade considering it offers 2x the performance >.>...

The keyboard is up to each person to decide, but it has other uses like emulators, RDP, Gaming, texting/surfing internet without covering the screen and etc..but of course that is up to preference.

Either way I definitely think it is gonna be a hit...mostly if it can keep itself in stock, many people going in to get an Evo that is out of stock will most likely be offered by Sprint Reps to get this instead...

How are you measuring 2x performance?

EVO on Tapatalk

gTen 08-06-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1902222)
How are you measuring 2x performance?

EVO on Tapatalk

Simple, it uses 45nm process which makes it more efficient and 3x the gpu...and going off the benchmarks makes it pretty much 2x...even with 2.1 it beats an EVO with 2.2...lastly even using qualcomm's benchmark it does 2x the performance....

So that qualifies it for 2x I guess...does it not?

photojenius27 08-06-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 1901874)

instinct disaster aside from what everyone has named also used to automatically restart itself quite a bit, atleast the S30. I won't lie it was the first real touchscreen phone I had with good service and overall I liked it for the texting, but it wasn't anything big.

a couple times with it being on my desk it even made random calls without anyone touching it, but the restarting itself was a huge issue would drop calls quite a bit because of that.

setox 08-07-2010 09:42 AM

fyi in sprints internal system is says that customers that are a premier member can register for the phone in a corp store now and looks like that is only going to be available for a week and a half from now tell them its in kms

ajac 08-08-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by setox (Post 1902577)
fyi in sprints internal system is says that customers that are a premier member can register for the phone in a corp store now and looks like that is only going to be available for a week and a half from now tell them its in kms

wish we could online as well I hate going to the store

elephant007 08-08-2010 01:07 PM

The problem I see with new phones is that most people compare the new phone to another phones merits whether or not the other phone is by the same or different manufacture or on the same or different network.

I think the biggest reason most say the Instinct failed was because it was labeled the 'iPhone Killer' so since it was tagged as the 'iPhone Killer' everyone in the industry was ready to see this thing go up head to head with the iPhone... and as we all know the Instinct wasn't ready for that title 'iPhone Killer'

Had this phone been released and marketing focused on it's features and presented it in such a manner that would draw people to not compare it to any other device out at that time, it may have had a chance to be successful... as soon as you say your product is better than the hottest product at that time, you better come with some A game or not come at all and lets face it, Samsung didn't have their A game

When I first started having a cell phone, all my cell phones were Samsung, now these are flip phones I'm talking about, the greatest feature I liked about Samsung wasn't you didn't have to teach your phone to recognize your voice when using voice dial, didn't matter who used your phone it would recognize a voice and make the appropriate call..

I have the Moment now and have really enjoyed this phone, I am looking forward to owning the Epic

mlin 08-08-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1902276)
Simple, it uses 45nm process which makes it more efficient and 3x the gpu...and going off the benchmarks makes it pretty much 2x...even with 2.1 it beats an EVO with 2.2...lastly even using qualcomm's benchmark it does 2x the performance....

So that qualifies it for 2x I guess...does it not?

So it is hitting 90+ MFLOPS and 2800 on quadrant?

EVO on Tapatalk

gTen 08-08-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1904038)
So it is hitting 90+ MFLOPS and 2800 on quadrant?

EVO on Tapatalk

Well right now we don't have a fully working JIT Foyo port..but running Eclair it gets over 1700 on quadrant..which pretty much beats EVO running Foyo and over 2x EVO running Eclair....

Once we have a full working JIT Froyo...I wouldn't be surprised to see 2800 quadrant :P

Edit: I was just looking at the galaxy s and some person with a few tweaks and no overclocking got 2234 Quadrant score on Android 2.1 >.>...so if your asking if it can do a measly 2800 quadrant once it gets froyo I think your expectations are a bit low don't you think?...you have permission to drool now...

Screenshot below:

http://a.imageshack.us/img32/7803/20...assedreboo.png

BBAHunter 08-09-2010 11:35 AM

As far as graphics go, the Samsung does just over 90M triangle/sec, the Evo/iphone 4 does 20M triangles/sec.

The big improvement is going to be in gaming, and if you're not into it, then maybe it doesn't mean that much for you, but to me, I can actually play Q2/Q3 on it at 60 FPS...pretty good way to waste time in my book.

gTen 08-09-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBAHunter (Post 1904545)
As far as graphics go, the Samsung does just over 90M triangle/sec, the Evo/iphone 4 does 20M triangles/sec.

The big improvement is going to be in gaming, and if you're not into it, then maybe it doesn't mean that much for you, but to me, I can actually play Q2/Q3 on it at 60 FPS...pretty good way to waste time in my book.

Well with flash added to Froyo it will start making a difference :/..also it is not only the GPU that is better but the CPU as well...despite both being 1ghz processors..the Hummingbird is a cpu that was made of last year while the Snapdragon is 4 years old...the CPU is a lot better on its own.

AcE XBOX 08-09-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkbunniz (Post 1900995)

Who let you out of the kitchen? ... jk! You do have valid points. The phone wont sell as well at the EVO because every other carrier will have it.

But IMO this phone will be loved by tech heads. It's currently the fastest phone out there and it's only running 2.1, just wait until it's given the 2.2 update. The screen is superior to any phone out there and it carries a qwerty! Which a lot of people are a huge fan of. The only thing it doesn't have is a kick stand.

I don't know about you, but deep down I'm a geek. I will pick a device, most of the time, on their spec power. The EVO is a pretty phone with sweet specs, but the Galaxy has me turning back. I might just have to pass on the EVO and go to after the better device.

gTen 08-09-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcE XBOX (Post 1904913)
Who let you out of the kitchen? ... jk! You do have valid points. The phone wont sell as well at the EVO because every other carrier will have it.

The thing about the EVO is the lack of stock of it...so if Samsung can keep the Epic in stock..many will find themselves going to a store to buy an EVO and come out with an Epic lol...

kilmarac 08-09-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photojenius27 (Post 1901833)
If I was ready to go back to touchscreen I'd personally get the Epic. I had a chance to play with a Vibrant and I personally love the phone as smooth as it runs and T-Mobile doesn't even have the best coverage here, I could only imagine how much faster the Epic would be.

Umm did you look at Sprints Epic? It has a QWERTY keyboard. Thats the main reason why I am excited for it. I was all over the evo until I realized I had to ditch my keyboard. SO I told myself "Be patient... one will be coming soon and you will regret upgrading now"

Im glad I held out.. between the Epic and the Sero Smartphone restriction being dropped Oct 1st, I am all lined up to get an Epic and the closest possible retention of my legacy Sero plan. :-) $50/mo FTW!

deviant.ones 08-10-2010 08:53 AM

actually, if you do the epic on the sero plan oct 1st you have to pay a $10 fee for the use of a "high usage phone" as well as the $30 for the hotspot to be enabled. I just went through that whole mess when my touch pro 2 died and they gave me a moment as a replacement. When you look at the big picture you will only be paying about $10 more on EPRP compared to the old SERO and you actually get alot more. My total bill for my 1250 and my wifes 500 SERO plans with insurance on both lines was $104 after tax's every month. Were now on the 1600 everything plan with both lines insured and its only $126 after tax's. So 22 dollars more for nearly the same amount of minuets for both lines, and we get the full sprint tv, navigation, and a few other things that are normally paid + its free mobile to mobile which for me was about 70% of my usage so instead of the random months where I would shoot 100-200 min over my plan now I will never get close. Was pissed for about a whole 2 days till i realized I could put cartoons on for the kids while waiting at the doctors office and wasn't able to do that before. Now I couldn't believe I waited this long to make the jump.

nvmyc 08-10-2010 01:43 PM

why would someone pay for the $30 Hotspot feature when we can get an app off the market that does the same thing for free?

pinkbunniz 08-12-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcE XBOX (Post 1904913)

But IMO this phone will be loved by tech heads. It's currently the fastest phone out there and it's only running 2.1, just wait until it's given the 2.2 update. The screen is superior to any phone out there and it carries a qwerty! Which a lot of people are a huge fan of. The only thing it doesn't have is a kick stand.

I don't know about you, but deep down I'm a geek. I will pick a device, most of the time, on their spec power. The EVO is a pretty phone with sweet specs, but the Galaxy has me turning back. I might just have to pass on the EVO and go to after the better device.

I fully understand I didnt say that the thought of leaving the Evo behind for the Galaxy didnt cross my mind a few times, but Im so happy with the evo right now and the impression samsung has given me is holding me back. So i guess Im going to have to pass :)