PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   ROM/Kitchen Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   PPCGeeks Unified ROM Project Update: Thursday, 2/22 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2762)

Glossman 02-22-2007 08:38 PM

PPCGeeks Unified ROM Project Update: Thursday, 2/22

Project Status: Discovery Phase.

There have been no major objections to the proposed design and release process, so we will implement as-is and make adjustments along the way, if necessary.

Voting for the AKU 3.3 versus 3.5 question is running 82% to 18% in favor of 3.5, with 62 votes cast. This will be weighed heavily by the developers after they are chosen, as they will ultimately decide the ROM on which to begin.

The candidates for the various jobs on this project are as follows:

Developers
ImCoKeMan
6700Yuma
Colonel
helmi_c
luv2chill
Sfaure03

ROM Analysts
naigaboy
schettj
finster869

QA Testers
jamesus
computercarl
jayz11
alphajoe
dannzeman
m2maynard
dzuchowski
vhgill
seashell11
Maxx134
ng_homer
nuguy
thallanor
elbimster
RussMuscle
sd_matto
anim0sity
brightedge
evilgenius
Jmckinney1976
TheRocoLoco

Build Managers
MrHappy
Sogarth

Project Manager
Open

Based on the number of volunteers, there's no need to put any of these names to a vote. You'll all get to do what you want on this project!

Misc:

Still looking for another developer and PM to back me up. More QA testers are always welcome, too. Wideawake?? luv2chill? verizonguy? Sardinour?

Project Plan to be posted tonight!

I will be designing the QA Defect Report (DR) template and posting that soon.

Wideawake will be creating our project forum in the near future.

Project team to discuss AKU 3.3 versus 3.5 as soon as team is finalized.

MORE TO COME!!

EDIT: Please note that the project team list has been updated!

schettj 02-22-2007 09:09 PM

I could be a backup developer, but I'm not the best choice :D - I can build in the kitchen ok, and I can make OEMs, but when things go bad in the baseline I am much better at pointing at them and saying "bad!" then actually fixing them (at least with this odd black-box environment we're stuck with :p)

But if no one steps forward, I can be an alternate.

No matter what - whoohoo... when is the project launch party?

Glossman 02-22-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj
I could be a backup developer, but I'm not the best choice :D - I can build in the kitchen ok, and I can make OEMs, but when things go bad in the baseline I am much better at pointing at them and saying "bad!" then actually fixing them (at least with this odd black-box environment we're stuck with :p)

But if no one steps forward, I can be an alternate.

No matter what - whoohoo... when is the project launch party?

I'd like to keep you in a role in which you'd feel most effective, but let's wait and see what happens.

As for the party, nothing like a Friday night, right? :D

RussMuscle 02-22-2007 11:29 PM

Tester

I'd like to join the testing team. I've been lurking for a bit and I've loaded almost everybody's ROM at least once.

Glossman 02-22-2007 11:36 PM

Re: Tester

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussMuscle
I'd like to join the testing team. I've been lurking for a bit and I've loaded almost everybody's ROM at least once.

Done!

Added you the QA team list.

finster869 02-22-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

I can build in the kitchen ok, and I can make OEMs, but when things go bad in the baseline I am much better at pointing at them and saying "bad!" then actually fixing them
This describes my skill set pretty well. I volunteer for wherever you think I can help.

Glossman 02-23-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finster869
Quote:

I can build in the kitchen ok, and I can make OEMs, but when things go bad in the baseline I am much better at pointing at them and saying "bad!" then actually fixing them
This describes my skill set pretty well. I volunteer for wherever you think I can help.

We can add you as the third analyst. You would be involved in writing the specs for all the ROM fixes, as well as performing analysis on newly reported defects in the new ROM.

What do you think?

finster869 02-23-2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glossman
Quote:

Quote:

We can add you as the third analyst. You would be involved in writing the specs for all the ROM fixes, as well as performing analysis on newly reported defects in the new ROM.

What do you think?

Sounds great! Can't wait to get started.

Glossman 02-23-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What do you think?

Sounds great! Can't wait to get started.

Done!!

sd_matto 02-23-2007 12:18 AM

QA Tester? Or, OEM Builder?

I have been lurking a bit, and definitely have some time constraints on what I do.

Having said that, I do enjoy testing the various ROMs.

One job I would like to volunteer for that has not been suggested is a kitchen OEM builder. I am not very good around the ROM, but I do a mean UPX on programs (I have been able to access the latest UPX 2.92 beta to get the files working, and way down in size to load into my ROM), and I have a lot of interest in building OEM folders from cabs. I do need more pointers on how to build shortcuts, though (for whatever reason, instructions received have not yet worked).

So, I will leave it to you, mr. PM: either a QA tester, or an OEM builder (who needs some pointers and instructions). In either role, not a lot of time, but definitely some and lots of interest and enthusiasm to boot.

Just let me know which role you want filled.

seashell11 02-23-2007 12:27 AM

How much time and knowledge would the backup project manager need? I am just getting my ppc-6700's tomorrow, so I don't know much about roms yet but am planning on learning. I am manager/partner of a furniture store. Depending on how much this takes and what you need I might be able to be backup project manager. What are the requirements?

Glossman 02-23-2007 12:36 AM

Re: QA Tester? Or, OEM Builder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_matto
I have been lurking a bit, and definitely have some time constraints on what I do.

Having said that, I do enjoy testing the various ROMs.

One job I would like to volunteer for that has not been suggested is a kitchen OEM builder. I am not very good around the ROM, but I do a mean UPX on programs (I have been able to access the latest UPX 2.92 beta to get the files working, and way down in size to load into my ROM), and I have a lot of interest in building OEM folders from cabs. I do need more pointers on how to build shortcuts, though (for whatever reason, instructions received have not yet worked).

So, I will leave it to you, mr. PM: either a QA tester, or an OEM builder (who needs some pointers and instructions). In either role, not a lot of time, but definitely some and lots of interest and enthusiasm to boot.

Just let me know which role you want filled.

Sounds like QA would be the best role, given your time constraints. You may be able to provide additional analysis on any bugs you may find, which would benefit the team.

So, welcome aboard!

Glossman 02-23-2007 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seashell11
How much time and knowledge would the backup project manager need? I am just getting my ppc-6700's tomorrow, so I don't know much about roms yet but am planning on learning. I am manager/partner of a furniture store. Depending on how much this takes and what you need I might be able to be backup project manager. What are the requirements?

PM work is a lot like herding cats. Not hard, but sometimes exhausting. For this project, you'll do a lot coordinating between the different groups, making sure that all defects get looked at quickly and responding to questions for team members. You/We will also wind up helping out with writing specs for some of the existing issues.

In a nutshell, you need to be organized and quick to respond to issues and questions.

What do you think?

seashell11 02-23-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

PM work is a lot like herding cats. Not hard, but sometimes exhausting. For this project, you'll do a lot coordinating between the different groups, making sure that all defects get looked at quickly and responding to questions for team members. You/We will also wind up helping out with writing specs for some of the existing issues.

In a nutshell, you need to be organized and quick to respond to issues and questions.

What do you think?

Well I should have the time. I am almost always by an internet connection, and can usually take 10 or 15 min. or an hour or whatever off at anytime to do other stuff. But, I don't have much experience. I would feel more comfortable if someone else would do this for now, but I will gladly do it and learn as fast as I can if you need me.

Glossman 02-23-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What do you think?

Well I should have the time. I am almost always by an internet connection, and can usually take 10 or 15 min. or an hour or whatever off at anytime to do other stuff. But, I don't have much experience. I would feel more comfortable if someone else would do this for now, but I will gladly do it and learn as fast as I can if you need me.

Well, I'll be doing it too. I may need to delegate stuff to you if I'm busy at work. It won't be difficult for you to catch on, and when there's a need for something specific, it will be explained. We'll work closely together on this.

Mike

seashell11 02-23-2007 12:53 AM

As far as the being organized and quick, I hope I am that way! Because, I am supposed to be managing a furniture store! :lol:

Glossman 02-23-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

As far as the being organized and quick, I hope I am that way! Because, I am supposed to be managing a furniture store! :lol:

The job is yours then!

Just watch for the project posts, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

seashell11 02-23-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The job is yours then!

Just watch for the project posts, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Got it! You'll be in charge, and I'll help where/when needed, and become more useful the longer I'm around. :? At least hopefully! :)

anim0sity 02-23-2007 02:21 PM

I'd like to contribute my time as a QA tester. Depending on my free time I could become more involved as well. I've been lurking around the forums for a month or so, now I feel like I could contribute as well.

Glossman 02-23-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anim0sity
I'd like to contribute my time as a QA tester. Depending on my free time I could become more involved as well. I've been lurking around the forums for a month or so, now I feel like I could contribute as well.

Added you to the QA team.

anim0sity 02-23-2007 02:32 PM

Well alright!

Jmckinney1976 02-23-2007 03:14 PM

Add me to QA team please

dping28 02-23-2007 04:36 PM

I dont know how much help I could be. I mostly only have experience with flashing my 6700 with 3.3aku and the radio with the updated one, and manually installing my own software. Havent used any custom roms as they tended to have more then I wanted/needed.. However I love the idea behind this and would love to help out if I could..

-D

Glossman 02-23-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmckinney1976
Add me to QA team please

Done!

Glossman 02-23-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dping28
I dont know how much help I could be. I mostly only have experience with flashing my 6700 with 3.3aku and the radio with the updated one, and manually installing my own software. Havent used any custom roms as they tended to have more then I wanted/needed.. However I love the idea behind this and would love to help out if I could..

-D

When we release our Beta ROM. it will be available to all of the forum membership. You'll be able to download and install it and still report bugs without any of the pressure to do actual testing. If that suits you, just sit tight, and we'll hopefully have a ROM in a couple of weeks. If you really want to get in and test, we'll add you to the team, but the downside is, your phone is being used as test platform for unproven software. This could be inconvenient.

Let me know what you'd like to do!

evilgenius 02-23-2007 05:32 PM

If you are still looking for another PM, I'll be happy to help out, I have some experience in the field and wouldn't mind giving you a hand, and I have some free time to donate to the project

Glossman 02-23-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgenius
If you are still looking for another PM, I'll be happy to help out, I have some experience in the field and wouldn't mind giving you a hand, and I have some free time to donate to the project

Thank you! I'll let you know if it becomes necessary.

Mike

dping28 02-23-2007 05:37 PM

If with the testing you require the person to not install any 3rd party software then I should probobly wait til beta, as I have a few programs I have to have installed in order to do things i need.. BUT if I can install them and still test (and i have no problem with reseting) then I would be more than willing to partake in the offical testing. but either way you choose I am cool with.. I plan on hard reseting and trying my first kitchen attempt tonight so I can get a little up to speed to what you guys are doing.. Thanks!

-D

Glossman 02-23-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dping28
If with the testing you require the person to not install any 3rd party software then I should probobly wait til beta, as I have a few programs I have to have installed in order to do things i need.. BUT if I can install them and still test (and i have no problem with reseting) then I would be more than willing to partake in the offical testing. but either way you choose I am cool with.. I plan on hard reseting and trying my first kitchen attempt tonight so I can get a little up to speed to what you guys are doing.. Thanks!

-D

Once the test methodology has been determined, we'll be able to answer your questions about 3rd party apps. For now, think of yourself as a Beta tester, but if the QA requirements give you the flexibility, we can add you to the QA team.

Sound good?

jamesus 02-23-2007 05:55 PM

Getting excited!!!

Looks like we have a good list of users here. This should produce some great results.

Now about vacation time and benefits... ;)

Glossman 02-23-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesus
Getting excited!!!

Looks like we have a good list of users here. This should produce some great results.

I'm getting anxious, too. All we need is Wideawake to setup the project forum and we'll be able to start work.

Oh, and your avatar is freaking hilarious!

jamesus 02-23-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesus
Getting excited!!!

I'm getting anxious, too. All we need is Wideawake to setup the project forum and we'll be able to start work.

Oh, and your avatar is freaking hilarious!

Hahaha...not sure where I found it, but it was one of those useless weird picture sites.

Hopefully the project forum will be set up quickly and everyone can dive in!

dping28 02-23-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Once the test methodology has been determined, we'll be able to answer your questions about 3rd party apps. For now, think of yourself as a Beta tester, but if the QA requirements give you the flexibility, we can add you to the QA team.

Sound good?

Sounds great.. Thanks!

TheRocoLoco 02-23-2007 08:13 PM

If there is room for one more QA tester count me in.

Also can I nominate Glossman as project manager since it still needs to be filled?

Glossman 02-23-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRocoLoco
If there is room for one more QA tester count me in.

Also can I nominate Glossman as project manager since it still needs to be filled?

I added you to the QA list.

And I was looking for a backup PM! :D

But that's been filled!

Dmunkey 02-23-2007 08:46 PM

If your still needing qa testers sign me up.

-Sprint 6700