PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Lurker

deeoji is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After using the i760 for a little over a month I decided to buy a 6800. My main reasons for wanting to get a 6800 were due to the availability of ROMs in the future. Here's my list of items that factor ino how I see the two phones.

6800 Pros:
1) extra 128MB RAM

2) camera resolution

3) Camera flash can be used as a flashlight... I use this a surprising amount of the time and did on my 6700. Light stays on! i760 flashes when picture taken only.

4) KEYBOARD. Much better feel/function than the i760

5) send/end key placement. It's easy to hit the send key on the i760 when using the keyboard because it needs a little more space between body and top row of keys.

6) microSDHC support. The i760 can support up to 4GB of SDHC, hopefully someone will be able to fix that, but the 6800 seems to be able to go all the way to 8GB so far - I have a 4GB that is definietly SDHC compliant and tried a 6GB in the i760 with no luck with the same patch that opened up the 4GB. My knowledge on the 6800 support of 8GB is based purely on what I've read in posts.

------------

i760 Pros
1) camera low light quality. Samsung makes digital cameras, they put some of that tech in this phone it seems because a head to head test in the same conditions reveals a much cleared picture in low light on the i760, granted it is a lower resolution picture, but the difference is night and day (no pun intended).

2) Bluetooth. Not even close!!! i760 beats the 6800 in the range tests every time - tested using jawbone headset. i760 has 1.5 to 1.75 times the range.

3) Volume. Both bluetooth gain and earpiece volume are WAY better on the i760 (this may be fixable with tweaks on the 6800 but I'm not sure)

4) Build quality... samsung just feels more solid, not nearly as much torquing or flexing with pressure applied when keyboard closed or open.

5) BATTERY... Under exact some usage situations. Minimal signal at work, browser usage for a 30 seconds or so every 20 or 30 minutes, normal phone use... I can get 7 or so hours out of the 6800 before it shuts down. i760 (with standard battery NOT the extended) gets about 12 hours before shutting down. Granted the standard i760 battery has a slightly higher mAh rating. Using the included extended battery I can go a solid 2 days! This is a HUGE factor and considering the similarity of the underlying hardware I'm not sure why this is the case but it is consistently the same result.

6) Voice command... standard on the i760. I added ot to the 6800. perhaps it's a bluetooth issue and part of that item above, but it responds more accurately over the jawbone on the i760 without a doubt. Not sure if it's the Bluetooth 2.0 chip in the i760 or what, but it DOEs work better on the 760.

--------

One thing to note is that the i760 has a soft spongy feeling screen that takes some getting used to but grows on you. The 760 may be slightly brighter but nothing mind blowing.

Overall I WANT to be able to keep the 6800, I know it's a more flexible and upgradable device but I can't help feeling the 760 is the superior phone as they both sit today. Battery is a huge item of concern for me as is volume... the 6800 needs a tweak if three is one available!!!!

So after much trying and searching and hoping, I'm going to have to give up on the 6800 today and return it. Hopefully the i760 will gather a following and have ROM supports going forward, but in the end does it really matter? I always upgrade once a year anyway if something new comes out and with Verizon opening it's network to all CDMA devices, as long as Sprint continues to advance the CDMA handset devices I'll happily buy one and have it put on verizon's network!!!!! I may pay more in the long run I realize, but for now the i760 is the clear winner in this contest if you can live with the shortcomings that I give the 6800 the edge in above.

If anyone has any questions post them and I'll try to answer, I've done alot more than just what I've listed in exploring the phones and trying to compare them.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:20 PM
reach76

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Battery charging on 760

I just recieved the phone and charged it. I was at 100% and about 10 in went by and it went down to 95% already. Do I have a bad phone?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:20 PM
reach76

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Battery charging on 760

I just recieved the phone and charged it. I was at 100% and about 10 minutes went by and it went down to 95% already. Do I have a bad phone?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vx 6800 soonly
Carrier: VZN

NoDonut is a n00b
Wow! Aren't we being a bit judgemental;?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SCH-i760 and Treo 700w
Carrier: Verizon

quantumparticle is a n00b
I just got my i760 a couple days ago. I'm still getting used to it. Previously I owned a Treo 700w for the last year and a half or so. I miss the one handed operation and the physical volume/vibrate switch, but thats about it.

My major reason for going with the i760 over the xv6800 was mostly cosmetic. I liked the black case, the xv6800 is fugly. The bigger ROM in the xv6800 was no big deal, as I knew I would be installing most things to my memory card anyways. I admit the xv6800 has better overall hardware options for the most part.

I liked the i760 for the looks. It looks professional. It feels solid. It came with an extra battery (which is awesome when traveling). I bought a charge+sync cable from amazon for cheap, so its no big deal that it didn't come with the cable (neither did the Treo). I actually think the camera on the i760 looks rather nice compared to other 1.3mp camera phones.

I like the keyboard on the i760 better than the xv6800. The keys are slightly spaced out on the i760. When I tried typing on the xv6800 keyboard I found that I kept pressing extra keys on accident.

Overall I don't believe that the specs are that hugely different.
You can compare both side by side here: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...d1=696&id2=697

All that said, if you are uber into hacking up your device, the HTC xv6800 might be your better choice. Thats not to say I'm not all into hackin it up, lets just say I like a challenge. I'm going to stick with my choice of the i760 and not look back. I dig it.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: SCH-i760

txmrlevine is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to txmrlevine
Re: 6800 or i760?

I just got the 760 - there are a few difference in that and the 6800 that my buddy has. More memory is allocated to programs on the 760 than on the 6800. so he has more main storage memory he cannot run ans many simultaneous apps as on the 760. He reprogrammed one of his softkeys to bring up the task manager because he is always haveing to stop apps to run others.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HT Apache XV6700 WM6 Pro, Thanks Helmi!!

JASTECH is a n00b

I have the XV6700 loaded with extras and bought the i760. The i760 is faster, has a much brighter screen and the unit feels better made. And yes I have seen the 6800 but it's still HTC and they don"t have a good track record according to Verizon tech. I notice the battery on the i760 lasts longer and it came with an extended battery that I have not tried yet. Been waiting 3 days for the regulaer battery to die so that I can recharge it and it's still has 2 bars left, lol....The sound of the i760 is much better then my 6700 or the 6800. My brother bought the Touch and don't have WiFi or the keyboard so he is tryng to cope with it. Let me know if I can help. Thanks, JASTECH
Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Threadstarter

kraygh is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
And yes I have seen the 6800 but it's still HTC and they don"t have a good track record according to Verizon tech.
Now that's something to laugh-out-loud about.
I'd love to talk to that tech guy. There's no way anyone representing Verizon would steer you away from their flagship PDA-Phone unless they have serious overstock in something else.
I've had the 6800 for months now, and there's no way I'd go to the i760.
For one thing, standard USB sync and charging is something I can't do without.
2.0 Megapixel Camera vs 1.3?
No scroll wheel.
I don't see a IR beam on the i760 either.
Oh and.. **cough** !!Built-in GPS!! **cough**

It's not even a close comparison.

6700 vs i760 maybe.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison