PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 04:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kris926 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro CDMA vs Diamond CDMA Opinions

I currently have an HTC Diamond through Sprint. It is my everyday phone and so far it has been great. I didn’t really have problems with the stock ROM but have been using Calkulin’s ROM. Despite being happy with this phone, I wish at times that I had a physical keyboard. That gets me thinking of a Touch Pro. It looks to be the same specs with a physical keyboard slapped on. I’ve read through reviews and this forum and of course found people who love and hate this phone. I’ve read about some keyboard issues but it’s unclear if this is related to people sending a ton of texts and sliding their keyboard in and out a lot. I also would like to know if the size and weight are a big concern compared to the Diamond. The few times I’ve handled a Pro it has been connected to a bulky security device. It was hard to get an actual feel for the phone.
I know opinions are like certain body orifices, but I’m looking for some useful input on this phone. Please don’t give me carrier specific problems or issues you’ve had with getting replacements. I know that varies greatly. I just want some honest comparisons and opinions on the Touch Pro versus the Diamond. Preferably from people who have had both. I’m a casually user who makes several phone calls and a handful of texts each day.
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Touch Pro CDMA vs Diamond CDMA Opinions

I've had both and i prefer the pro. Too hard to type with the diamond. I hate the onscreen keyboard. It's a little thicker yea, but it's not a big deal for me. Also, it's nice to have extra storage with the sd card. I've never had issues with the keyboard, so i couldn't tell ya. I've had this phone since they came out and haven't had any build quality issues like so many others. I send and receive well over 1500 texts a month.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

honestly.. i use the on screen diamond (larger) keyboard more than the physical keyboard most of the time, but i couldn't live without the physical keyboard for excel docs (too hard to navigate cells with onscreen kb), and the sd card slot. Plus, the touch pro has more ROM space for installed programs.

i'm looking at the hero though, i'm going to play around with it when its in the store, just to see... 16gb of space, sd card.... badass.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro
Threadstarter

kris926 is just getting started

Thanks for the input! It's nice to get some good feedback. I may pick one up but hang on to my Diamond just in case.
Anybody have any other experience switching from a Diamond to a Pro?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Pre 2, Evo

tersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stuff

I've had both, and honestly I prefer the diamond. When I had the pro I never used the physical keyboard (I like one handed usability). Plus from my experience the slider was kind of wobbly. For example when I had the device closed the keyboard part would move back and forth whenever I went to touch the volume rocker or went to use the on screen keyboard. And it is definitley thicker and heavier. I could still fit it in my pocket with no problem, but when I used the device it was definitely clunkier than the diamond. The only reason I even started using the pro was for the sd card slot. But the sd slot wasn't enough to to keep me from switching back to the diamond (I just couldn't handle the wobbling keyboard).
Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, rooted OC 1.0ghz
Carrier: Verizon

Klauven is just getting started

Hey, I am a little curious. I am comparing these two phones for myself right now. Everyone keeps saying that the diamond doesn't have an SD slot. I can see on Verizon's website that the HTC Touch Diamond they sell does indeed have an up to 16GB MicroSD slot. If I choose the diamond and look to purchase it on ebay, should I be on the lookout of getting Verizon models without an SD slot?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauven View Post
Hey, I am a little curious. I am comparing these two phones for myself right now. Everyone keeps saying that the diamond doesn't have an SD slot. I can see on Verizon's website that the HTC Touch Diamond they sell does indeed have an up to 16GB MicroSD slot. If I choose the diamond and look to purchase it on ebay, should I be on the lookout of getting Verizon models without an SD slot?
Careful, that's the Diamond 2! If you buy one on EBAY, you will almost certainly NOT get one with a microSD slot.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 Metro Pcs WAP MMS Youtube
Carrier: Metro PCS

pimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
Careful, that's the Diamond 2! If you buy one on EBAY, you will almost certainly NOT get one with a microSD slot.
+1 to what crazy chicken said, and to answer your original question, I've had the diamond, tp, and tp2, all of them great, but I prefer the tp keyboard because I am still not fully used to my tp2, gimme two weeks, tp2 keyboard will probably be my fave.

HTC's I have Full Flashed To Metro. (I define Full Flash as Phone, Text, Picture Message, Email, and youtube, GPS on some) Diamond,Touch Pro,Imagio, Touch Pro 2
I BUY SOME BROKEN PHONES TOO!! PM ME
Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Two other minor differences

The Diamond has a working FM radio feature.

The Touch Pro has a TV-out feature. This has actually proven invaluable for Powerpoint presentations in a pinch.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

The Verizon Diamond doesn't allow custom ROMs but I think it has the SD slot. I wouldn't get a Diamond anyway and get a Touch Pro 2 or Imagio at this point or if you can, wait and see if the Leo makes it to CDMA.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison