PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Wait Curser fix, custom taskbar, other neat stuff (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87395)

4wheelfurry 09-26-2009 07:08 PM

Wait Curser fix, custom taskbar, other neat stuff

2 Attachment(s)
Here is some neat little eyecandy I have worked up:

The first is the welcomehead (the picture while windows is loading), just use a program like Total Commander and overwrite welcomhead.128 into your \Windows\ folder, then on reset you will see it instead of the default 6.5 or 6.1 screen.

Next is shellres.128.dll, in it is several images tied to the taskbar. I changed the Start Menu icon, X button icon, OK button icon and battery images as well as a few other small things.

** But the most important thing is I deleted the wait curser files so the wait curser will no longer display! No need to run a 3ed party app to make it go away!!! This saves a bit of system and memory use!!!**

Also any of the icon images can be modified with this software:
http://download.cnet.com/Resource-Ha...-10178587.html
Run it on your desktop and you can change the icons to more fancy ones or whatever using a image editing software like GIMP. They are .ico images.

Just overwrite the shellres.128 to your \Windows\ folder and soft reset then they will display the new icons.

Note: I left the Icon images basicaly stock just made them colors instead of all white.

Have fun, just trying to get the Treo Pro a little help!

4wheelfurry 09-26-2009 07:09 PM

Re: Curser fix and some other neat stuff

Oh this is for the 6.5 (21324) build but it should also work on the 6.1 builds too. NOT for the 6.5.1 builds!

drnoir 09-28-2009 11:14 AM

Re: Wait Curser fix, custom taskbar, other neat stuff

Hi. First of all, thanks for this solution :)

Now, abusing your kindness, some tip requests ;) If I wanted to change the sprites for the Start menu and the Close button, how would I edit the dll file?

Thanks again.

4wheelfurry 09-29-2009 10:24 AM

Use the Resource Hacker program posted in the first post. Run from your desktop and open the dll. You will need to place the dll on your desktop or wherever you want to open it from. then brouse the icons until you find the images you want to modify. The Start Menu icon is 21x21 and the X button is 28x28 if I remember correctly. You will have to play with Resource Hacker to figure out how to change/modify as it is hard to explain but not hard to do... You'll catch on.

acidhax 09-29-2009 01:44 PM

How do i get the regular taskbar and such back? I reaaaaally don't like the blue X's and battery.

4wheelfurry 09-29-2009 09:56 PM

Rename the dll and softreset, the system will recreate the factory dll and then you can delete the renamed out of windows folder.

But again you can change those icons to whatever you want, it is fairly easy just some image editing.

omfgaturtle 10-01-2009 02:02 AM

think you could make a version of the shellres without the colors? I love the wait cursor fix, but i prefer my taskbar plain :) anything would be appreciated.

4wheelfurry 10-01-2009 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go. Only one I left was the start menu icon, couldn't make the white flag look correct... But everything else is white again

Tel9000 10-14-2009 07:38 AM

I cannot seem to get shellres128.dll off of my device to modify the wait cursor. Can you tell me what program to use or post a version that leaves everything intact but deletes the wait cursor? I have resco explorer and total commander and neither one will copy the file off my device. Thanks.

acidhax 10-14-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tel9000 (Post 1236770)
I cannot seem to get shellres128.dll off of my device to modify the wait cursor. Can you tell me what program to use or post a version that leaves everything intact but deletes the wait cursor? I have resco explorer and total commander and neither one will copy the file off my device. Thanks.

I had to rename it and than delete it.