PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

rprockey is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
800w USB disconnects

I connect my Treo 800w to my work PC and my Laptop and I've noticed some odd behavior from the device, active sync and internet connection sharing. Sometimes when I move the device on my desk the Treo reconnects and Sync software re-initializes. Other times the device is just sitting there, connect and syncd, and out of nowhere windows reports that an unrecognized USB device was plugged in and active sync goes grey. With my Laptop, I'll fire up ICS on the device, teather it, and sometimes neither the Treo or the Laptop seems to recognize the connection. The laptop doesn't recognize and new hardware and (this is weird) on the Treo, the battery icon gets the bolt but the LED truns neither green nor red, it just remains off. I can unplug and plug back in and everything works as expected. Sometimes I have to repeat.

I've tried toggled "Enable advanced network functionality" but it has no effect.

I'm suspecting that something may be wrong with my USB cable or the device's USB port. After writing all of this out, It clear to me that I need to visit a Sprint Repair Center. Uhg.

Last edited by rprockey; 08-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700

ski15freak is a n00b
Re: 800w USB disconnects

I have seen similar oddities with one of ours at work. I don't get to use it everyday but it seems as though the micro USB was maybe not the best choice for connectors...although i never have had perfect connections with my apache and mini usb either. The biggest thing we have noticed is that especially when connecting with the micro usb to USB cable to the PC the connection usually needs a jiggle before the charging indicators come on...but even then i'm not convinced it is charging...might need to install a better app for measuring battery juice but once it gets low it doesn't seem like the pc charges it very fast.
Let us know if you have any luck with repairs, so we know if it is worthwhile.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

I use my USB regularly on my work PC and have not had this issue. You may want to Sprint and have them check out the USB port on your phone.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

Sounds like some of those evel gremlins got into your phone. Recommend taking it to sprint to perform an exorcism on it.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

yodafreak is a n00b

I don't think this is a hardware issue. I think it has something to do with the way the phone acts as a DHCP server to your computer. I noticed the same behavior with the device getting juice from the USB, but no plug and play detection of the phone, no charge light (even tho the battery icon shows charging). If you go to Internet Connection Sharing, select 'Connect', it says 'check USB cable', for about 5 sec, then it sees the device, but not as an activesync connection. If you press 'disconnect', it switches back over... you see the device disconnect, and in about 5 sec or so, it connects again, but this time activesync sees it. I also notice that restarting the phone alleviates the problem for a while. Speaking of which, is there a way to do that without pulling the battery? Who makes a MS device without a reset button???
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: treo pro
Carrier: sprint

oneformula is a n00b

mine acts funky with the cable on the laptop, too.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w

ppcpark is a n00b

my phone shows the same behavior, usually a reboot will fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodafreak View Post
is there a way to do that without pulling the battery? Who makes a MS device without a reset button???
looks like we're SOL on the reset button with this model.

I use a 3rd party program called "Task Manager" - includes a registry editor and a lot of other useful stuff which includes a soft reset without removing the battery. Best part about it = freeware.

I don't know the linking policy on this site, but you can download it from...

dotfred.net | TaskMgr.htm <---replace " | " with /
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

kdogokc is a n00b

I am having the same problem. Soft reset is not resolving it. Yesterday I could not connect at all. This morning I synced then got the unrecognized device window. Now I cannot connect. I did a soft reset and still will not connect.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodafreak View Post
Who makes a MS device without a reset button???
Palm would, of course..lol
but do u have the usb update cab installed??
its avail on the palm site
Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogokc View Post
I am having the same problem. Soft reset is not resolving it. Yesterday I could not connect at all. This morning I synced then got the unrecognized device window. Now I cannot connect. I did a soft reset and still will not connect.
Try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, have Sprint replace it for free with a Touch Pro.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w