PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   CDMA Iphone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95326)

SporkLover 11-08-2009 12:20 AM

CDMA Iphone?

Well looks like ATT is going to lose it's exclusivity with the iPhone:

Quote:

A new report citing sources in the Taiwan handset supply chain says Apple has contracted to produce a UMTS/CDMA hybrid iPhone due in the third quarter of next year that will enable the company to sell a single global handset to all carriers, and specifically to Verizon Wireless in the US.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...n_q3_2010.html

MordyT 11-08-2009 12:37 AM

Re: CDMA Iphone?

hmmm....I saw this yesterday....on our front page.
Don't you think you could have just commented there with this updated news?

SporkLover 11-08-2009 02:26 AM

I suppose I could have now that I know about it.

I don't frequent the front page of PPCGeeks. I jump right into the forums.

It is a clumsy thing that those news postings on the front page don't correlate/correspond to any of these threads in here.

Rusty Duck 11-08-2009 09:01 PM

And it looks like the phone might be a bit smaller:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09...ler-iphone.jpg

brownhornet 11-13-2009 07:09 PM

I have a friend that works for Verizon that says they will be making the official announcement soon that they're getting it. I hate to say it but when it happens AT&T and Sprint will lose a boatload of customers. The iphone is the lone reason AT&T hasnt been losing customers just like Sprint.

AZTECHKA 11-13-2009 07:19 PM

I wish it would come to Sprint too.
That way I could get my wife one and she could stop asking me n00b questions about her TP. lol.
I could just tell her to ask her brothers. LOL.
p.

deboy69 11-15-2009 03:32 PM

I spoke with a sprint rep in sales the other day and she said that the rumor around there is that they (sprint) will be getting the Iphone later next year.

jaxxy 11-15-2009 10:14 PM

Telus introduced the iPhone on CDMA (I think) about a month ago.

Laos101 11-15-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxxy (Post 1332206)
Telus introduced the iPhone on CDMA (I think) about a month ago.

What are you talking about? Best if you get sources before saying stuff

jaxxy 11-15-2009 10:39 PM

Telus has iPhone
http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/media...id=1135&mode=2

tokuzumi 11-16-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxxy (Post 1332274)

The telus phone is not a CDMA. It runs on the new Telus HSPA network...

stravy 03-29-2010 08:55 PM

news from engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/w...r-for-verizon/

Dr.8820 03-29-2010 09:35 PM

verizon is getting the iphone http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ng-the-iphone/

Carla 03-30-2010 01:23 AM

Who is interested in this at this point? Seems like there are a lot of better alternatives right around the corner. Although it will definitely appeal to a certain market, which is huge I guess lol.

shortbus182 03-30-2010 01:38 AM

The supersonic(EVO 4G) destroys the iphone in so many ways. Might be a good reason to take another look at Sprint. Looks like they finally got it right.

eric12341 03-30-2010 09:56 AM

I would say any htc phone released in the last 2 years destroys the iPhone

Dr.8820 03-30-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1668984)
Who is interested in this at this point? Seems like there are a lot of better alternatives right around the corner. Although it will definitely appeal to a certain market, which is huge I guess lol.

this is true, the hd2 is a beast! i just hate that people mistake it for an iphone!

testacon 03-30-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbus182 (Post 1669004)
The supersonic(EVO 4G) destroys the iphone in so many ways. Might be a good reason to take another look at Sprint. Looks like they finally got it right.

However it still doesn't seem to nativity support Exchange ActiveSync, without it a lot of business customers will be wary of moving to this platform. To make Apple-sauce, it's should be able to do what the iPhone, WP7 can (core features wise) and still have more features. Making people choose whether they want a phone for work or one for play doesn't make decisions any easier. I refuse to carry 2 cell phones around with me. The EVO has so much promise but lack of tasks, calendars or email will be a deal breaker for most professional users.

Just my 2 cents...

sanmanc 03-30-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

It'll appeal to those whose love their iPhone but were stuck using it on AT&T. Plus people who did not get an iPhone because it was on AT&T will have the opportunity now. I agree that there are far more superior devices than the iPhone but none have been marketed as well. Our local news even reports on some of the new apps available for the iPhone.

orangekid 03-30-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbus182 (Post 1669004)

don't be so sure. Every time someone says "enter phone" destroys "enter different phone" they come out with something that makes the person flip their analogous script. An Iphone running similar specs to the supersonic/hd2 (capacitive 4.3" amoled with 1ghz tegra or apple chip on wimax/hspa+) with an OS overhaul (iphone OS4.0) could boost the popular device even more. I'm no iphoner. The fact is I like Android more and more, but don't think Apple is suddenly going to go somewhere else; they're not Palm...

AND when the new iphone comes out, we'll have the same crowd going "OMG the iphone is going to DESTROY android and WM7" till the next android model comes out that that has a 7" 3D holographic screen that fills your car with gas and brushes your teeth.

sanmanc 03-30-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1669613)
...that has a 7" 3D holographic screen that fills your car with gas and brushes your teeth.

I want that one if it has a qwerty keyboard. What's the release date?

BenC 03-30-2010 12:02 PM

I am one of those Exchange users. After finding this out, I cannot go with the device and I was planning on being an earlier buyer.

orangekid 03-30-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanmanc (Post 1669628)
I want that one if it has a qwerty keyboard. What's the release date?

December 2011 - it will have a hard button swype keyboard :headbang:

DavidinCT 03-30-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Yea, I was thinking the same thing....a day and a dime too late but....

I know a ton of people who love the iPhone (incuding my wife and a bunch of family members) who want a iPhone but, will not use AT&T's service (as CDMA is better than GSM where we live). I have family members who have a Blackberry storm and a iPod touch, and carry them both around all the time, this would sove that problem for them.

Verizon does have better coverage in a lot of areas and the iPhone fanboys people will be happy.

GirlGoneGeek 03-31-2010 03:29 AM

Sounds like my family: One of each carrier almost on them at all times ;) Ha, I love Sprint & Verizon and also have the Iphone but Wideawake canceled our service with them b/c they are terribly slow on the net.

orangekid 04-20-2010 09:03 AM

I'd get a 4G iphone AND an Evo on Sprint. That sounds like a freaking sweet combination.