PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Sprint Officially Announces 17 more WiMAX markets (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78947)

CozBoogie 08-11-2009 06:24 PM

Sprint Officially Announces 17 more WiMAX markets

What's that old saying? "Where Clearwire goes, Sprint is sure to follow (and resell)?" Something like that. Anyway, we'd gotten confirmation of Clearwire's next planned expansion last week, and Sprint just followed up with word that it'll also offer service in most of those same cities. As you'd expect, Sprint's list is just as Texas-heavy as Clearwire's -- San Antonio and Midland-Odessa, get ready to party -- but there's a couple cities on there that were just rumored or we hadn't heard about, like Raleigh, N.C. and Maui. As for New York, Boston, D.C., Houston, and San Francisco, well, Sprint says WiMAX is coming in 2010, but won't commit to a date -- so we guess we'll see all of you down in Lubbock this winter. Full list after the break.

[Via PhoneScoop]

• Abilene, Texas
  • Amarillo, Texas
  • Austin, Texas
  • Boise, Idaho
  • Bellingham, Wash
  • Charlotte, N.C.
  • Corpus Christi, Texas
  • Greensboro, N.C.
  • Killeen-Temple, Texas
  • Lubbock, Texas
  • Maui, Hawaii
  • Midland-Odessa, Texas
  • Raleigh, N.C.
  • Salem, Ore.
  • San Antonio, Texas
  • Waco, Texas
  • Wichita Falls, Texas
More here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/11/s...mostly-in-tex/

late,
Coz

hypeo 08-11-2009 08:20 PM

Re: Sprint Officially Announces 17 more WiMAX markets

Wow! Looks like Texas is getting some love from Sprint!! Can't wait till we get at least 3G in South West AZ. 1X sux!!

basilray 08-11-2009 09:17 PM

WTF STFU Sprint!?! No love for Minneapolis? Waco, Greensboro, and Mauii before The Twin Cities!

My personal revolt begins...although it doesn't matter much to me until they drop a WiMax WinMo handset.

Itascabill 08-11-2009 10:22 PM

Don't feel disrespected by the this list.....most of these markets are currently served by Clear--the pre-wimax fixed standard. The transition of these markets with their established customer base is a sound decision.

tsowen 08-11-2009 10:27 PM

Woo Hoo San Antonio!!!!!

TnA-2xXtReM 08-12-2009 12:13 AM

Aww.. come on, no Boston? >.< 10/17 are from Texas... :( And yes, I've been counting...

imneveral0ne 08-12-2009 12:54 AM

no love for Detroit? not surprised, Detroit isn't getting any love these days LOL

mbaseball3 08-12-2009 02:24 AM

again nothing for so cal?! man this blows!

breakmyfootoff 08-12-2009 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basilray (Post 1095418)
My personal revolt begins...although it doesn't matter much to me until they drop a WiMax WinMo handset.

Exactly. I'm in Lubbock, but this wont be any good for me until there's a mobile handset that can use it :( I guess all the people that use the wireless cards for their laptops can rejoice (all 6 or 7 of them). I've been anxiously awaiting all the new WinMo phones with 3.6 WVGA displays and now I've gotta decide if I wanna go ahead and get one, or try to hold out for a WiMAX device.

sanmanc 08-12-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsowen (Post 1095562)
Woo Hoo San Antonio!!!!!

That's why I don't ever plan on leaving Sprint. Lower prices then any other major carrier and excellent service, IMO, in San Antonio.