PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   HTC could be banned from USA (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53892)

dannzeman 01-19-2009 05:27 PM

HTC could be banned from USA

Quote:

HTC has been named in a patent suite bought by unknown Texan company Saxon Innovations. Saxon claims HTC and others are violating 3 of its patents, and has approached the US International Trade Commission (ITC) to ban importation of its devices into the USA. HTC is not alone, and other high profile companies named are Nokia and RIM, and seemingly unrelated companies like Panasonic and AVC Networks.
The patents appear to involve “handheld wireless communication devices”, “smart phones”, “cellular telephones” and “television remote controls” and cover features such as “a keypad monitor with keypad activity based activation” and “a device and method for inter-processor communication using mailboxes owned by processor devices.”
Both patents were initially granted to chip maker AMD, until Saxon bought them in July 2007. Saxon appear to fit the traditional description of a Patent troll, not having any visible products to their name themselves.
Gadgets made by a host of big-name manufacturers, including Nokia and HTC, could be banned from import into the US, if a patent violation investigation being conducted the rules in the claimant’s favour.
Specific devices at risk are Nokia’s N73 and N95 handsets, RIM’s BlackBerry 8100 Pearl and even Palm’s Treo 700p, manufactured by HTC, but its not know how many other devices may be implicated.
Saxon Innovations is seeking an exclusion order, and cease-and-desist orders. An initial hearing into the alleged patent violation will take place during the coming months.
Source:The Register
Oh man this would really suck!

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=2493

kyppcgeek 01-19-2009 05:34 PM

Re: HTC could be banned from USA

I hope they counter sue the @#$@#$@# out of the Texas company and then Appeal to the US Patent office to add to the clause that any active patent cases made by a company must 1. have active units in the market and not just written up and 2. that there is ANY reasonable conflicts that would affect thier sales of thier units.

Just my thought. Oh and if they want to be #$# about it then we have money to buy you out.

Darkflame808 01-19-2009 05:39 PM

I have a patent for "a thing that serves a purpose"

I'm suing everybody!

There should be a rule if you patent something and don't follow through on a product. That patent is open to anyone else to develop upon.

Too bad I can't file a patent for "a way to make supplemental income by buying other peoples ideas and suing people for thinking the say way I do." Then I could sue saxon back. :D

kyppcgeek 01-19-2009 05:39 PM

BTW... if what I read is thier Patent TROLL case then APPLE is going to be on the hook too. Um.. yeah... Texas company.... you just bit at the wrong ankle. This peon company will bite the dust, just like all the rest.

hooover 01-19-2009 05:50 PM

They will settle out of court if the case holds any merit...

Torx 01-19-2009 05:53 PM

eff you saxon, and efff you texas!!!!!!!!

Geekcop 01-19-2009 06:04 PM

This sounds like the same problems RIM ran into a year or two back. There are companies that are called patent holding companies that don't actually produce anything but pull the same kind of c++p that is mentioned above. They hold, or claim to hold, a generalized patent for some product, idea, fleeting thought, etc. In RIM's case, this company (whose name escapes me) claimed to have a patent on the technology upon which RIM based the BB. Mind you, they didn't patent the actual device or even the software, but just the technology. A lot of these types of cases get filed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, since that court is known to have a "rocket docket." This means once cases get filed here, they move quickly.
If any of our members are attorneys, they may be able to shed some more light on what seems to be quasi-legal extortion

w7excursion 01-19-2009 07:04 PM

Pretty sneaky of them. Someone should buy them out.

crazychef 01-19-2009 08:12 PM

ummm id didnt think HTC made any of those phones

dabackwoodboy 01-19-2009 11:29 PM

this would suck i think if this was to happen id really leave windows mobile because htc is what made wm any good at least to me

TreyBeno 01-19-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torx (Post 652023)

Hit thanks instead of quote but watch ya mouth downing texas :evil4:

dabackwoodboy 01-19-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 652801)
Hit thanks instead of quote but watch ya mouth downing texas :evil4:

easy easy now lets calm down guys :mrgreen:

JackSchitt28 01-20-2009 01:19 AM

HTC will always be around, they will settle out of court and everyone go on about their merry little way. There is no way a company as big as HTC will be banned from selling devices in the USA, they have plenty of money to turn those frowns upside down. And yeah the Texas thing, I am born and bred in Texas, and dont forget one of your state icons came down to Texas to help fight for the Alamo.

crazychef 01-20-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannzeman (Post 651941)
Specific devices at risk are Nokia’s N73 and N95 handsets, RIM’s BlackBerry 8100 Pearl and even Palm’s Treo 700p, manufactured by HTC, but its not know how many other devices may be implicated.

Sooooooo, which one of these did HTC actually make??? why would HTC be in trouble for these phones??

gadgetfreak 01-20-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 652051)
This sounds like the same problems RIM ran into a year or two back. There are companies that are called patent holding companies that don't actually produce anything but pull the same kind of c++p that is mentioned above. They hold, or claim to hold, a generalized patent for some product, idea, fleeting thought, etc. In RIM's case, this company (whose name escapes me) claimed to have a patent on the technology upon which RIM based the BB. Mind you, they didn't patent the actual device or even the software, but just the technology. A lot of these types of cases get filed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, since that court is known to have a "rocket docket." This means once cases get filed here, they move quickly.
If any of our members are attorneys, they may be able to shed some more light on what seems to be quasi-legal extortion

From what I understand, that's pretty much dead on, plus that particular court is seen as very friendly to these kind of shenanigans. What a crock...

ou2mame 01-20-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychef (Post 653037)
Sooooooo, which one of these did HTC actually make??? why would HTC be in trouble for these phones??

htc manufacturers more phones than they put their own label on, especially for palm, sony, etc.

dannzeman 01-20-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7excursion (Post 652160)
Pretty sneaky of them. Someone should buy them out.

Or squash them into oblivion. :violent1:

gadgetfreak 01-20-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannzeman (Post 653366)
Or squash them into oblivion. :violent1:

Absolutely!

hop2000 01-20-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 652051)
In RIM's case, this company (whose name escapes me)

The company was NTP and they were initially awarded over $58 million from a court and RIM was ordered to stop manufacturing further Blackberry devices and was going to be banned from selling them or the Blackberry service in the US altogether. After a few years of litigation RIM ended up settling with NTP for (get this) $613 million dollars.

You have to love the US court systems.

rihavens 01-20-2009 10:36 PM

Nintendo was sued by something like this months ago. They are still selling. I am sure this is total BS.

On a side note I am going to patent design changing wallpaper. I dont know how it will work, but if it ever happens I will sue like crazy.

hibby50 01-20-2009 10:39 PM

windows 7 beta has changing wallpaper... so does vista actually... dream scene

rihavens 01-21-2009 07:52 AM

I mean real wallpaper.

jcrompton 01-21-2009 09:50 AM

You guys are talking like you like HTC .... ????
HTC is sorta one of those , you take what you have to companies for me.
I felt messed over by them too many times having bought phones with seemingly purposefull missing drivers and/or hardware only to have buy something that kinda corrected thier omission 6 months later.

Can't say I'd be sad to see them pay someone

nxtech3 01-21-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrompton (Post 655692)
Can't say I'd be sad to see them pay someone

And then you would be paying MORE money for those same devices because they would have to recover the loss somewhere and they usually translates to the customer.

As far as the ban goes, an image pops into my mind where i can see someone swallowing a balloon with an HTC device in it to smuggle it in to the country.

JBundy 01-21-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 655704)
And then you would be paying MORE money for those same devices because they would have to recover the loss somewhere and they usually translates to the customer.

As far as the ban goes, an image pops into my mind where i can see someone swallowing a balloon with an HTC device in it to smuggle it in to the country.

HTC is not the alpha and omega. There are other equipment makers ...

If HTC jacks up its prices even more for a mistake that it made, f*ck it, buy from a different maker.

nxtech3 01-21-2009 10:41 AM

Since the only major players of WM devices sold in US are Samsung, Palm, Motorola and HTC and since Samsung doesnt make a CDMA WM device, that would just leave Palm and Motorola. Palm makes an ok WM device (thank god for the 800w) but its just an afterthough since Palm has there own software/devices to worry about, and i dont even want to start on the Moto Q,Q9c, so that pretty much leaves HTC for me. In the end I will be sticking with HTC, no matter if i have buy the phone on eBay.

end of rant lol

z28marols1 01-21-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nxtech3 (Post 655769)
Since the only major players of WM devices sold in US are Samsung, Palm, Motorola and HTC and since Samsung doesnt make a CDMA WM device, that would just leave Palm and Motorola. Palm makes an ok WM device (thank god for the 800w) but its just an afterthough since Palm has there own software/devices to worry about, and i dont even want to start on the Moto Q,Q9c, so that pretty much leaves HTC for me. In the end I will be sticking with HTC, no matter if i have buy the phone on eBay.

end of rant lol

Agreed! Ive been with them since the 6700 came out. Too many of my friends have had problems with the other phones you just mentioned that made my problems seem so small and insignificant.

nuguy 01-21-2009 11:08 AM

Samsung has a few wm cdma devices, look at the verizon Omnia...

They are pretty nice devices, wish they would stick w/ a mini usb charge port though.

xero 01-22-2009 07:50 PM

Patent issues are interesting to watch play out. The patent holder has to prove that their patent MAY include the said technology or idea, then the defendant has to prove that their product is covered by another patent. These things are usually settled out of court, mostly due to the costs related to fighting this in court, and the risk associated with trusting the morons of society in the event that a jury is called in, or the judge has a desire to be "that guy" in the news.

I think that HTC is in the clear, as well as the other companies. This will be a small issue this year.

BigDiesel07 01-22-2009 08:41 PM

Would be interesting... But HTC will fight it in court and (hopefully) settle...

Romeo5k 01-25-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torx (Post 652023)

errrr.. NO!!.... http://farm1.static.flickr.com/24/37...a1604773a0.jpg

Ed Zachary 01-26-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooover (Post 652009)
They will settle out of court if the case holds any merit...

There doesn't have to be ANY merit to the case. Speaking from experience here....

Probably what Saxon really wants, anyway. A nice multi-million-dollar settlement without having to prove anything.

lawmangrant 01-26-2009 02:22 PM

Sue Happy companies...

Sad that some companies have that business model just to sue, for profit.