PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103175)

gootgolly 12-24-2009 10:13 PM

syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy

I cannot bring myself to syncing all google requires to check out the "market"

I despise several things about this unit and am sure they can easily be fixed

Onscreen keyboard
Sms functionality
Comtacts fumctionality
Very slow as phone
No tabbed browser

I dont think I will allow my contacts to be stored via google, that seems almost like trusting the whole world with private info, will this phone not be as stellar for such a non-conformist?

Are there any great sites that have free apps? Non-free and other than the google experience?

Any opinions regarding the privacy issue?

seang 12-24-2009 11:08 PM

Re: syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy

cant offer much of an opinion on the privacy stuff, but i have used gmail for years. no issues there.
for a nice tabbed browser go to the market, and download dolphin. just found that today.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 12:01 AM

Re: syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy

Here's theIf I don't upload nearly 1000 private contacts anf such....

No google market

So for me, since I don't seem able to find much of anything elsewhere, will probablu ne a deal breaker.

I suspect many people may ultimately end up feeling the same way

That's a shame too since much of this phone is charming....

But I don't have permission to ever host sereral folks confidential info..

Even on the invisible met, much less hand it over to google.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 12:03 AM

And I am quite literate, a published author even, but this touch keyboard stinks

JonV 12-25-2009 10:24 AM

I want to be sure I understand. You are saying that you realize that there are several great replacement apps for SMS, keyboarding, and browsers but you don't want to use Market to get them for fear that Google will grab and misuse your contacts you have stored on the phone. Correct?

You are being forced to have a gmail connection to make the phone functional. Is the syncing of contacts required? I was thinking that syncing contacts and calendars is optional.

z0mbiexx 12-25-2009 11:50 AM

i don't see a point in buying a google phone and not having the intention of syncing it with googles online features. that almost seems to be the main core of all the features.

breakmyfootoff 12-25-2009 02:38 PM

Why dont you just create a new gmail account independent from everything else so you can use the market? When it asks if you want to sync contact info, just select "no". This really sounds more like a personal choice, if you dont like Google for whatever reason, I would recommend a different handset.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 09:25 PM

It will deny syncing if I do not surrender my contacts.

Who would I be to presume none of those who trust me with their private info would not object to me publishing that info on the net? An alternative gmail account does not rectify this strongarm extortion and invasion of privacy.

Remove either none or not above. This supplied keyboard and no copy paste is insufferable.

blazingwolf 12-25-2009 09:33 PM

You need to get another phone.

Copy/Paste does exist.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1436943)
Why dont you just create a new gmail account independent from everything else so you can use the market? When it asks if you want to sync contact info, just select "no". This really sounds more like a personal choice, if you dont like Google for whatever reason, I would recommend a different handset.

Even thougj I am very well google 'reads' private emails and sells adverts as relative to the ongoing conversations.......

I simply cannot violate both implied and directly stated trusts by giving up anyone's info

Try syncing without doing so

Access denied.

If anyone who hasn't already sync'd once is able to access the market without syncing contacts, tell me how it is done.

breakmyfootoff 12-25-2009 10:03 PM

Insufferable indeed, you should definitely look into some different phones :)

parkjam 12-25-2009 10:36 PM

It seems that you are somehow under the impression that your email/contacts are treated differently with google than with other providers, and I fail to see why you are under that impression. Could you enlighten us as to why you feel your fears of google violating your privacy are justified? Especially in regards to differences between the way google handles your personal information versus whoever your current service provider does.

banden 12-26-2009 12:09 AM

You can sync contacts through an Exchange server instead.

I think you have a general misunderstanding of how information is provided to advertisers. It's more along the lines of X many people visited Y site. It's not, here's a list of all people who visited this site including their names, contact info, here's all email they sent and a list of all their friends and family. You would be advised to review the privacy policy of google here: http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html

If you believe them to be dishonest and don't trust them staying true to their privacy policy, then you have to make a decision about which corporations you do trust... verizon?.. what kind of computer do you have?... Microsoft?... Apple?... all of these companies could in effect work outside their own privacy policy and gather personal information about you and the people you communicate with.

Google has a pretty awesome approach to privacy and responds to all complaints about the protection of privacy. Send your concerns here:

Privacy Matters
c/o Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, California, 94043
USA

Perhaps with your concerns you'd be best advised to use something along the lines of a blackberry device and only sync your information through the desktop manager software.

gootgolly 12-26-2009 12:59 AM

So tell me how to access the market without handing them info which I do not have a right to give them

Step by step would be nice

And nice also would be a sticky of sites alternative to google's "market"

The droid site kept asking me why I bought a google phone

I certainly wasn't aware I had. The tv commercial or other adverts mention nothing of google.

You have to admit that as shipped the nearly amazing phone is quite miserable....

Especially if you've ever owned one nicely and easily tweaked winmo phone.

So if I'm simply not understanding how it works and that I really don't have to give up a thing to google for this phone to be sorted, explain and stop with the high brow condascending attacks.

I'm certain others will have similar objections or cocerns.

banden 12-26-2009 02:03 AM

The reason there are not others with similar objections or concerns is Google does not publish address books from gmail accounts on the web like you claim.

breakmyfootoff 12-26-2009 02:10 AM

You are being met with resistance because your posts seem very troll like. The way you post makes it seem as though you have already made your choice and are here only to be contradictory and stir up trouble instead of truly asking for assistance, which is most likely the reason you were treated the same way at the Droid forums.

Edit: I searched your posts at the Droid forums, and found the same results there. Judging from these quotes in your thread over there ("gawd foresaken keyboard", "mediocre minded cavemen casting stones", "nearlu useless onscreen keyboard and sms functionality is just two premium examples", "no solutions are readily available, indeed it will be returned") you seem to have already decided that you dont like the Droid and are returning it. Please do us a favor and follow through on your statement to return your phone.

phullofphil 12-26-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1437433)
You need to get another phone.

Copy/Paste does exist.

are you sure cause if i hold my finger down on somthing it gives me that option

phullofphil 12-26-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1437739)
You are being met with resistance because your posts seem very troll like. The way you post makes it seem as though you have already made your choice and are here only to be contradictory and stir up trouble instead of truly asking for assistance, which is most likely the reason you were treated the same way at the Droid forums.

Edit: I searched your posts at the Droid forums, and found the same results there. Judging from these quotes in your thread over there ("gawd foresaken keyboard", "mediocre minded cavemen casting stones", "nearlu useless onscreen keyboard and sms functionality is just two premium examples", "no solutions are readily available, indeed it will be returned") you seem to have already decided that you dont like the Droid and are returning it. Please do us a favor and follow through on your statement to return your phone.

yeah go get a black berry sir. This phone had a great on screen keyboard as to compared to other on screen keyboards. And its really fast if you dont have all your apps open at one time. And if there is a reason for people to get weird over contact info and all that Google offers i think you have a right to be suspisios but only to a point of wonder. Its really crazy to worry about that unless you are either in the mob or famous or a criminal or are really paranoid. Really who cares what 99.9999999 percent of any of us actually know or do with our phones. It would be useless information to just about anybody. Just dont list your social security, bank account number, mothers maiden name, passwords in open view or other info that can be used to steal your identity. Matter of fact make your google acount under a weird anonimous name it might make you feel better

gootgolly 12-26-2009 06:12 PM

I think Ive not made this clear, I have no right to upload/publish to the web other peoples confidential info.

Now I certainly have a right to upload my SSN, drivers license, addies, etc

It appears most feel they have a right to do anything they desire with info with which they have been trusted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by banden (Post 1437729)
The reason there are not others with similar objections or concerns is Google does not publish address books from gmail accounts on the web like you claim.

breakmyfootoff 12-26-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gootgolly (Post 1438676)
I think Ive not made this clear, I have no right to upload/publish to the web other peoples confidential info.

It appears most feel they have a right to do anything they desire with info with which they have been trusted.

You do need to clarify what you mean by "published to the web". I'm going to assume that since you are a published author you know that "published" means to make available or bring to the attention of the public. Surely you don't believe that by syncing your contacts with google you are publicly posting your contacts on the web. If this is what you are claiming, then where is this page published exactly? I've synced my contacts with google and I can't find them published anywhere on the web unless I sign into my google account,which is most certainly not viewable by the public. What exactly are you afraid google is going to do with your contact information?

gootgolly 12-26-2009 10:20 PM

If I have to explain that this has nothing to do with fear of google.....

So, none of you actually can step by step...

Outline how to gain acess to market without syncing the contacts list.

That is what I thought.

shaggylive 12-26-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gootgolly (Post 1438676)

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1439047)
You do need to clarify what you mean by "published to the web". I'm going to assume that since you are a published author you know that "published" means to make available or bring to the attention of the public. Surely you don't believe that by syncing your contacts with google you are publicly posting your contacts on the web. If this is what you are claiming, then where is this page published exactly? I've synced my contacts with google and I can't find them published anywhere on the web unless I sign into my google account,which is most certainly not viewable by the public. What exactly are you afraid google is going to do with your contact information?

sounds like you need to cancel all your services, ccards, ect.. and get prepaid phone and only use cash for all your transactions. otherwise your just being paranoid.

breakmyfootoff 12-26-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gootgolly (Post 1439055)

That is what I thought.

So now it suddenly has nothing to do with google "publishing" your info?I actually posted links to about 10 websites earlier in this thread that would allow you to download apps without accessing the market, but I edited my post to remove them because you are a troll and I don't wish to share info with you. Go troll somewhere else.

phullofphil 12-26-2009 10:56 PM

i think this guy heard second hand info from other people maybe iphone people or conspercie people and he does not know exactly what he is talking about. But any way i love windows mobile and there os is easier to load apps you just have to find them. Me nor any of my friends have been exploited by google so i really dont know what proof there is to think that there is a privacy issue. FYI I believe the future of computing is going to be somewhat what google is doing and having you computer me mostly on the net for some of your things so you have a virtual computer that you can acsess from any computer or phone.

parkjam 12-27-2009 12:26 AM

Get yourself tin foil hat and go live in a cave, I don't know what kind of information you have on all of your contacts that you feel needs to be guarded in fort Knox, but I assure you that your information is safer on Google's servers than on your personal phone.

banden 12-27-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gootgolly (Post 1439055)

That is what I thought.

You were told on the first page to create a throw away gmail account by breakmyfootoff, to accomplish this.

If you need someone to hold your hand to make a new gmail account, then this phone is far too advanced for you to ever use. Do the Android community a favor and go buy a blackberry, iphone or dumbphone.

If you really believe using a gmail account on your phone causes or permits Google to steal private information and publish it to the internet, then you have other issues that are beyond the scope of the support you'll find at PPCGeeks.

shaggylive 12-27-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkjam (Post 1439258)
Get yourself tin foil hat and go live in a cave, I don't know what kind of information you have on all of your contacts that you feel needs to be guarded in fort Knox, but I assure you that your information is safer on Google's servers than on your personal phone.

lol, agreed. It's a published fact that more cc#'s are stolen by clerks/waiters than ever are over the internet.

gootgolly 12-27-2009 02:11 AM

Good luck building up this section of the forum.

I've no use for hypothetical advice that is untried by another and does not work on what may be a defective unit.

I'm not the least bit surprised you folks seem unable to comprehend the idea of who owns what info and what level of privacy one can expect by merely having info on a device and then how much less a rational human should expect upon uploading the same info to the net.

Try asking those on your contacts list, especially the ones who fiercely guard what little privacy they can maintain, if they mind you storing all info you have on them on your online email account.

It has nothing to do with my level of kookiness or paranoia

I'll ceheck in from time to time to see if you passionate android experts manage to raise the bar with usful info.

blazingwolf 12-27-2009 08:25 AM

Can a mod please close this thread? It is obvious that the OP does not want to listen to the advice that has been given and this thread is devolving in to personal attacks.

goonygugle 12-27-2009 11:05 AM

a published author that can't even spell properly? for sure a troll, he has been given the answer many times in this thread but refuses to accept it. He came here to bash android os.

breakmyfootoff 12-27-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1439720)
Can a mod please close this thread? It is obvious that the OP does not want to listen to the advice that has been given and this thread is devolving in to personal attacks.

+1 I would recommend a ban as well, this is not the only forum he's caused trouble on. Both of the forums I've seen him post on he has only negative and inflammatory posts.

banden 12-27-2009 11:51 AM

I would like to echo the sentiments of blazingwolf and breakmyfootoff.

filthy1 12-27-2009 12:23 PM

+1 on Ban The OP seems to have made his mind up before he ever even started the thread and indeed his OP was filled with negative personal opinions that were already made up before he asked for any advice therefore I find it hard to believe that he had an objective state of mind when reading the countless amount of advice and or help that was provided by others in this thread. Point blank if you have your mind made up about something than no amount of advice good or bad is going to change it and you are wasting your own time and the time of the people that are trying to help you by coming and asking for advice when you don't really need it since your mind is made up. And that goes for any advice not just phones. Just my .02 and Happy Holidays by the way I love MY DROID

rstoyguy 12-27-2009 12:44 PM

Thread Closed. Nothing productive going on in here...