PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   thinking about trading my touch for mogul (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20008)

AnthroMatt 03-04-2008 11:03 AM

Re: thinking about trading my touch for mogul

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasphemous_prime (Post 201776)
and what makes the mogul slower than the touch? they have the same chipsets, and i don't seem to have a problem with mine. plus i wouldn't trade my hard keyboard for anything with an interface that limits so much of what i do. and i also wouldn't want anything that runs a fever pitch for no reason in my pocket either. and despite the ram issues with the mogul, i don't run that many programs on mine, cause it kills the battery even faster regardless of the size of it.

Well, as a previous Mogul owner that switched to the Touch, I can see the speed difference even in a single app: Opera Mobile. Scrolling was slow and "jerky" (with or without FTouchFlo installed) on the Mogul, it is smooth on the Touch. Since I do not use PIE, having a device that can handle the memory hog that is Opera is nice.

The lowest available RAM I have ever managed to get on my Touch was around 52, which is more than twice as much I ever had on startup with the Mogul.

I didn't think there would be much tangible difference between the two either, but the difference surprised me.

The lack of a keyboard is a valid concern. I probably had an easier transition because compared to the two BlackBerry devices I had prior to the Mogul, I found the Mogul's keyboard to be uncomfortable and slow in that every time I needed to use it I had to wait for the phone to rotate the screen, a process which sometimes took 10 seconds for the Mogul to complete.

boe 03-04-2008 11:48 AM

I will be happy to trade my mogul for a touch.- in excellent condition, original box, all original accessories, documentation unopened :) I'll be glad to send pictures or details for anyone who has a touch that wants to trade.

markgamber 03-04-2008 12:04 PM

I too had a mogul and now I have a touch and, as stated above, the difference was surprising. The touch is faster, more stable, lighter, thinner and the keyboard took about a week to get used to. After that I could type just as fast on the touch as I could on the mogul. In addition, I bought a bluetooth gps unit off ebay for $30 and it works perfectly. You can't upgrade that pitiful amount of ram in a mogul anywhere for any price. And if Sprint ever releases a rom with gps support, I'd bet a paycheck they'll have a monthly fee for it just like they do with everything else. And my stereo bluetooth headset works great with the touch. I never got bluetooth to work properly, ever, with the mogul. The mogul was so slow that the speed difference between EVDO and WIFI was negligable so I never used wifi....no loss. For a week I went back and forth but 3 months later, I wouldn't consider using a mogul again. Ever. it's grossly overpriced, underpowered junk that would embarrass a real company. Unfortunately, this is Sprint and HTC we're talking about.

keebler021 03-04-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fateisajester (Post 201208)
im ok with the size and weight. they have pretty much the same processor so im sure any speed issues must be a software issue. so aside from the fact the touch is "sexier", the mogul is actually better?

They have the same processor but the Touch has twice the RAM, allowing it to run more programs at once and more smoothly.

clockcycle 03-04-2008 12:36 PM

My first impression on the Touch.

Ok I got the HTC Touch.

It's nice, compact. Solid construction, rubbery skin feel. Screen is much brighter than I expected after reading other's reviews. Much more than Treo 700wx and PPC-6700.

Using stock keypads makes you really miss some sort of keypad/board..

I miss the left and right softkeys, as well as an OK button.. It should have these atleast at bear minimum with Windows Mobile.

That proprietery usb/mic connector.. Why? And the Adapter / cables they give are for 2.5mm mic instead of 3.5mm standard? Again, why?

Ok the sync cable, is standard mini USB. Why not include one that works with the proprietery connection? Instead you have to use the adapter.

Same goes for the charger, it's standard mini USB, so you have to use that adapter. Ditto on the car charger.. (not included)

The microSD slot is behind a silvery plastic side panel, it's actually about 3 times the length required to cover the slot. If you run your finger on it it starts to pop out slightly.

Personally I can do without a keyboard, but would have liked the 2 soft keys and ok button in the front cluster.

Gonna have to play with it some more, I did notice that Sprint uses the 60610 PRL instead of the 20230 with the other phoneshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/1.gif I've had.

It connected data quicker, calls are quicker and internethttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/4.gif seems quicker more stable speed.

-CC

AnthroMatt 03-04-2008 12:41 PM

Re: My first impression on the Touch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clockcycle (Post 202017)

The microSD slot is behind a silvery plastic side panel, it's actually about 3 times the length required to cover the slot. If you run your finger on it it starts to pop out slightly.

On the GSM models the SIM card is located under the same side panel, hence the "extra" length.

I agree with you on the soft keys...I miss them too, but the device is so much better (IMO) than the Mogul, that I can learn to live without them.