PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

sdlucky7 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spinning wheel and loss of battery life

I need some assistance on an issue that has popped up recently.

Every couple mins or so, I am getting a repetitive spinning wheel (like the phone is processing something) that flashes on and off for 1 min or so. It slows the phone down to a crawl (answering phone calls has been a challenge, so has SMS and E-mail). I can't figure out what is causing it.

The only programs that are running are: SBP Mobile Shell, ActiveSync (it has always started when the phone starts up) and SMS\MMS.

I've had this phone working wonderfully for almost 2 years and this issue just showed up 2 days ago.

Any ideas?

Soft-resetting doesn't seem to have any long-lasting effect.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

I suggest using an app that will show which processes are running and how much memory/cpu is being used at any given time. That will show you what is going on.
I suggest downloading ClearTemp if you haven't already. This app provides a link to show running tasks and processes plus it mainly will allow you to free up wasted storage memory by clearing temporary files. If you run it at least once a week it really helps to clean up things and will help your device run better.
You can find it at www.mobisapienz.com
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Spinning wheel and loss of battery life

Thanks for the tip on Clear Temp... I loaded that and ran it to clear up some of the gunk.

I'm having trouble locating a good/reliable task manager though (for observing what process is creating the havoc). Do you have any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vogues & an S4 Mini

MrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlucky7 View Post
...reliable task manager...
There's a pretty good one in the stock WinMo 6.1, but it's sort of burried in the \Windows\ folder. Look under "t" (TaskMgr) for this icon:

Last edited by MrGoodtunes; 03-02-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Good Call!

Opened that Task Manager and kept an eye on it for a while during a couple of the "episodes."

Looks like Google Maps was doing something even though I didn't have it on. So I opened it, and Exited it properly (I had closed it forcefully a couple days ago). I guess that some process it started before I force-closed it was still messing with the system.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

MrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuff

Thanks for reporting problem result. Had similar troubles with Google Chrome browser on PC. Dump'd it for Firefox. On a side note, I see you have a VW heart. Me too. Pic's here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/album.php?albumid=89

Last edited by MrGoodtunes; 03-02-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Just so you know....
ClearTemp provides a link to that task manager.
Just click on the right softkey (menu I think) then highlight links and select running programs. Then you click the right softkey again and select view and select processes.
Sorry, I didn't explain that clearly earlier.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Just so you know....
ClearTemp provides a link...
Now I know too, and one way or the other, sdlucky7 got his fix. So it's all good.

What might not be so good is the ways of Google. Sometimes they're like Big Brother in the book '1984' by Orson Welles. I'm guessing the battery drain was caused by Google trying to see where sdlucky7's current location is, i.e. trying to get a GPS satellite lock or some such thing.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue