PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   USB connector Broken (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106223)

Torob 01-14-2010 03:31 AM

USB connector Broken

It started out as my left channel for headphones not working.. and escalated to being totally messed up.
I played with the pins and the plastic holder which kept them in place broke off, and now they are all in the air.

The headphones (right channel) still works when plugged in) however my actual power adapter doesn't work. Though i do have a usb to mini usb cable that if i plug in, and put some pressure pushing the end down, it'll start charging.
That is the only way i have it working, other than that it'll run out of battery.

So my question is, anyway to get this fixed? Will HTC do anything? My carrier is bell, will they do anything? I believe its got no warranty..
Can i open it up and put a new connector on?
Thanks

whitey10tc 01-14-2010 03:48 AM

Re: USB connector Messed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torob (Post 1487278)
It started out as my left channel for headphones not working.. and escalated to being totally messed up.
I played with the pins and the plastic holder which kept them in place broke off, and now they are all in the air.

The headphones (right channel) still works when plugged in) however my actual power adapter doesn't work. Though i do have a usb to mini usb cable that if i plug in, and put some pressure pushing the end down, it'll start charging.
That is the only way i have it working, other than that it'll run out of battery.

So my question is, anyway to get this fixed? Will HTC do anything? My carrier is bell, will they do anything? I believe its got no warranty..
Can i open it up and put a new connector on?
Thanks

Well I have a couple suggestions
1st Insure it and get it replaced as soon as you can

2nd See if you can pinch the USB plug alittle.

One of the Titans I sold on eBay last month had that happen when the buyer got it they messed it up and sent it back for a refund. Luckily I had pictures and video of it before I shipped it. So I pinched the adapter end got it to charge and sent it back to them.

horndoctor 01-14-2010 03:42 PM

Unless you add the insurance and wait a few days and make a claim I don't think they will replace it.
Yes you can replace it yourself if you get the parts and you can handle it. :) Most people don't want to mess with it. Your call .

Torob 01-15-2010 03:54 AM

How do i insure it? How much would it cost?
I can insure it at any time?
So it only takes a few days? then i claim what then? they fix? replace?

tmz 01-15-2010 11:26 AM

Try this # they have them 1 972 782 9846 for like 6.00 shipped or this one my work.
If you can't put it in your self and have no one let me no I'll do it for you for free.
Thanks T M Z

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-CHARGER-DATA...item5ad5de76a7

Heres a pic where you can see it on the board.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96953

horndoctor 01-15-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torob (Post 1490601)
How do i insure it? How much would it cost?
I can insure it at any time?
So it only takes a few days? then i claim what then? they fix? replace?

You have to contact your carrier and add the insurance/protection to your account. I usually costs about $7 a month. I really don't know how long you would have to wait before you can make a claim . Maybe at least a week? Then most likely they will replace your device with a refurbished unit. You will probably have to pay a $100 deductable to get it replaced.

Torob 01-18-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1491029)
Try this # they have them 1 972 782 9846 for like 6.00 shipped or this one my work.
If you can't put it in your self and have no one let me no I'll do it for you for free.
Thanks T M Z

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-CHARGER-DATA...item5ad5de76a7

Heres a pic where you can see it on the board.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96953

Thanks, the ebay one will work? Same model and everything?
Or do i have to call that number and ask for it?
Seems like simple solderin job, so i could probably handle it

Fabian357 01-19-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1491029)
Thanks T M Z

Hey TMZ i am having the exact same problem with my touch, its going on two years strong and i have no desire to u0pgrade but im having trouble with the USB plug as well. I feel pretty confident trying to fix it myself but i have a question. Does it (the mini usb plug) slide and plug or pop in or does it have to be soldered to the main board? I cant tell from the pic you linked.
Thanks

Torob 01-19-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabian357 (Post 1500582)
Hey TMZ i am having the exact same problem with my touch, its going on two years strong and i have no desire to u0pgrade but im having trouble with the USB plug as well. I feel pretty confident trying to fix it myself but i have a question. Does it (the mini usb plug) slide and plug or pop in or does it have to be soldered to the main board? I cant tell from the pic you linked.
Thanks

im pretty sure its a soldering job

tmz 01-19-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabian357 (Post 1500582)
Thanks

It has to be soldered to the board.. Let me no how you do. If you need anything just let me no.. Thanks T M Z

Fabian357 01-19-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1500598)
It has to be soldered to the board.. Let me no how you do. If you need anything just let me no.. Thanks T M Z

Eh i figured.. just have to find a very small soldering tip for my gun now.
What kind/brand gun do you use if you dont mind me asking?

Most of my electronic projects are more automotive related so i rarely have to solder small electronic parts.

tmz 01-19-2010 02:51 AM

I just filed the tip on the one I have . Just your every day one... lol

Torob 01-19-2010 02:56 AM

So TMZ, will the ebay one you linked work with the phone? 6300 vs 6900?
Can i just order the ebay one, or the phone # the best?
http://www.perfectesell.com didn't actually have anything on their pages

tmz 01-19-2010 02:19 PM

I have just got the one from the # never tried the other just seen it on ebay.

Fabian357 01-20-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1500773)
I just filed the tip on the one I have . Just your every day one... lol

lol ok, i already have mine filed down guess ill be set to go as soon as i get the connector.:mrgreen:

MrGoodtunes 01-20-2010 10:00 PM

De-soldering the old busted socket might be a little tricky. I've seen a special rig'd gun with something that looks like the bulb you squeeze on a bicycle horn, only you use it to suction away the excess solder when it melts. Otherwise, when you've heated one leg loose, and move to the next, the previous one re-solidifies! With automotive and old radio desolderings, I've been able to heat up all connections and use long nose pliers to yank out the old part quickly.

Please let us know how the job goes. Pics would be excellent. There are probably others who'd benefit, but I've been worried about USB socket trouble ever since I got my Vogue and learned headphones and everything all goes through that same port.

BTW you may be too young, but I sure recall and still enjoy listening to a Fabian tune from way back 50+ years ago:
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/m/r/mrg2nz2/Fabian.png

Torob 01-24-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1501686)
I have just got the one from the # never tried the other just seen it on ebay.

So you call them and order over the phone?
How much does it cost + shipping?

Thanks for info I'll call them up once those Q's are cleared up a bit

tmz 01-24-2010 11:59 AM

Yes just order over the phone.
When I got one it was $6.28 with shipping.
Make sure you tell them you have a (11 pin usb)

Thanks T M Z

Torob 01-30-2010 07:29 PM

Are all the HTC plugs the same? I called in, they only have the GSM version or i think other HTC device ones... but i don't want to order and end up with it not fitting, so is it fine if i order any? Will they fit/work?

My original connector is on its last legs for sure, couple of the pins are fully broke, i get no sound from the headphones, and i can't even charge it anymore

tmz 01-30-2010 08:21 PM

I'm not sure but all I told them was I had a 11 pin for a htc touch & got the right one from them . Hope that Helps Thanks T M Z

Torob 02-14-2010 05:00 PM

Hmm not sure watsup, i called them 20 times over several days... left a message with order -- nothing, no call back and never did they pickup
they still in business ? :(

tmz 02-14-2010 05:02 PM

Sorry to here but don't no...

Torob 02-14-2010 05:10 PM

Does the ebay one look like the one you got? If so i'll just get that because i've been calling these guys for week+ and won't pickup

shaggylive 02-14-2010 05:34 PM

not sure about the parts, but for soldering, I recomend <=20watt for sensitive electronics. any hotter and you just gotta make sure you don't overheat all the tiny diodes, resistors, ect..

tmz 02-14-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torob (Post 1565114)
Does the ebay one look like the one you got? If so i'll just get that because i've been calling these guys for week+ and won't pickup

I don't think it is , send them a email and see if it is a 11pin.

MrGoodtunes 02-14-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1565381)
...see if it is a 11pin.

Exactly. Another unique descriptor is the official trademark, namely ExtUSB. It has been used on lots of HTC phones besides Vogue. Here's what the User's Manual shows:
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/m/r/mrg2nz2/ExtUSB.png

Torob 02-16-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your e-mail. As for the product specification you have inquired, we are uncertain about the answer, therefore, we are not able to answer your question at the moment. Neither can we guarantee the product will fit without any problem. If you know the product will fit, you may purchase the item. However, take your own risk of purchasing the item and try installing it. If unfortunately, the item fails to be installed. You can ship the item back to us and we will only refund you the cost of the item. We apologize for the inconvenience. We appreciate your business. Thank you and you have a nice day.

Kr-net
Sigh! Im going to contact Bell.. see if they can do anything... i heard they don't have vogues and would probably replace diamond if they could... and last i checked people don't like their diamond as much as the vogue

Torob 02-16-2010 04:25 PM

So situation is, i have to take the phone to a store.. they send to HTC or something and repair which takes 2-6 weeks..
While its gone i have buy a loaner.. $25 for normal phone, $45 for smart phone

:(
I think I'm better off just putting the usb in myself

Torob 02-19-2010 02:15 PM

Re: USB connector Broken

anyone have a used vogue i could maybe buy?

tmz 02-19-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torob (Post 1577037)

If you have some time, I have one coming to me in a few days and we take out the part you need and send it to you. If that works for you ?

Thanks T M Z

Torob 02-20-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmz (Post 1577528)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torob (Post 1577037)

If you have some time, I have one coming to me in a few days and we take out the part you need and send it to you. If that works for you ?

Thanks T M Z

Yeah if you could part out the usb that would be best !!

tmz 02-20-2010 08:04 PM

I'll let you know when I get it. Thanks T M Z

Torob 02-21-2010 11:57 PM

Thats great thanks a lot
How long do you think it would take? I need my phone ASAP, its been down too long and i don't have any replacement

Also do you have a extra screw driver you could put in it? and maybe 1 screw, i think i lose one of the 4 screws..
I'll pay for them :) thanks

guitardoc64 02-22-2010 01:24 AM

Depends on you mostly. I can do one in about 30-45 minutes from pulling the battery to powering up. The hardest part is soldering those tiny connections clean, and not bridging them with solder. Other than that, it's taking it apart and putting it back together. Plenty of tutorials out there. Also the help of techie types like myself that can offer tips and support.

Torob 02-22-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 1581612)
Depends on you mostly. I can do one in about 30-45 minutes from pulling the battery to powering up. The hardest part is soldering those tiny connections clean, and not bridging them with solder. Other than that, it's taking it apart and putting it back together. Plenty of tutorials out there. Also the help of techie types like myself that can offer tips and support.

Thats great, i actually meant how long for tmz to recieve / send etc.

But i was going to ask how to solder and such too, any tutorial links you could provide?

I just tried checking it out, and taking it out... i couldn't really do much, there are 4 tabs on the bottom, and the connectors are all soldered i think
Its harder than i thought it would be

shaggylive 02-22-2010 10:50 PM

get solder with flux inside, keep your tips clean, and practice, practice, practice. try fixing some guitar cords for buddies or something thats more forgiving till you get the hang of it.

for the price you may as well get a copper de-soldering roll and/or a solder sucker to help clean off excess.

really this level of soldering calls for an air solder, but those are tricky/expensive. a cheepy radioshack 15watt stick should work.

madeiracam 03-17-2010 11:22 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. I just purchased http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-CHARGER-DATA...item5ad7683540

IF this is the right port; I'm going to snap some photos of the process and post up some sort of guide. After a little research it seems many people are having the same issue.

Also, does anyone know if this is caused by not using the "htc" branded cable from my phone? I have used many different usb cables over time, thinking all mini usb connections were the same...

Thanks

Hypnotic2010 03-17-2010 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have also replaced tons of these connectors. I would suggest using solder wick to remove the old solder and flux when resoldering to give a nice flow on the pads. The last thing you want to do is lift a pad forcing you to find a via trace.](*,).
Here is an HTC full service manual if you need help dismantling.

madeiracam 03-17-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 (Post 1636202)
I have also replaced tons of these connectors. I would suggest using solder wick to remove the old solder and flux when resoldering to give a nice flow on the pads. The last thing you want to do is lift a pad forcing you to find a via trace.](*,).
Here is an HTC full service manual if you need help dismantling.
http://mikechannon.net/PDF%20Manuals...e%20Manual.pdf

Mad props!!!!

If you told me how you got that pdf, would you have to kill me?

Hypnotic2010 03-17-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeiracam (Post 1636434)
Mad props!!!!

If you told me how you got that pdf, would you have to kill me?

LOL, no. You can get them here:
http://www.mikechannon.net/