PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Tutorial: Adding Registry Entries to your Rom (RGU Method) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33527)

denasqu 09-06-2008 05:07 PM

Re: Tutorial: Adding Registry Entries to your Rom (RGU Method)

Okay, now I do have a question... :mrgreen:

I think I've got a handle on adding and changing registry entries but can you delete registry entries when you cook a ROM?

I want to get rid of the Cube in my ROM and I figure I can just set EnableCube = 0 but I'm curious about whether I could just clean up the unnecessary registry entries since I'll be deleting the related files anyway.

rstoyguy 09-06-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denasqu (Post 405989)
Okay, now I do have a question... :mrgreen:

I think I've got a handle on adding and changing registry entries but can you delete registry entries when you cook a ROM?

I want to get rid of the Cube in my ROM and I figure I can just set EnableCube = 0 but I'm curious about whether I could just clean up the unnecessary registry entries since I'll be deleting the related files anyway.

Yes you can...

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settin gs]

Add a "-" after the bracket to delete that key. You can zero values, but I have only seen keys deleted.

boggsie 09-18-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 405994)
Yes you can...

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settin gs]

Add a "-" after the bracket to delete that key. You can zero values, but I have only seen keys deleted.

It appears that the delete mechansim only works for that key, if there aren't any sub-keys present.

Can you confirm or am I doing something wrong?

For example, I want to completely remove all of the existing internet favorites and insert mine ... in an OEM, using RGU.

I was hoping to use the following, with the desired result that this key and every sub-key would be removed / deleted. This is not happening.

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries]

So, with PPCKitchen, I would need to use:

Code:

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\AccuWeather]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\Sprint Power Deck]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\NFL Mobile]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\Windows Mobile Extras]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\WindowsMedia.com]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\Windows Live]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FavoritesEntries\Explore Windows Mobile]

Actually, I am rebuilding now, but if it doesn't work I am hoping to get a head start on the proper approach. :) Without using provxml.

Best regards,
-boggsie

EDIT 1: I wanted to ask for a favor: Can you drop the latest version of the program you linked to above in your ftp folder here at geeks? I can't get to rapidshare for a couple of days and I forgot to put this on my SD card. Thanks for your consideration.

Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=390846
Prog: http://rapidshare.com/files/13014198...v0.7.85.PE.rar

EDIT 2: Hrm ... the "[- ]" I tried above didn't work. I wonder if you have to do that for each key value and then for the key?

rstoyguy 09-18-2008 08:36 AM

You may also try the provxml way, I think it also works on that key/value only...

<!--
<nocharacteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\HTCHomep lug" />
-->
<nocharacteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\Pocket MSN" />

Here is the link: SDConfig.Builder.v0.7.85.PE

boggsie 09-18-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 421539)
You may also try the provxml way, I think it also works on that key/value only...

<!--
<nocharacteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\HTCHomep lug" />
-->
<nocharacteristic type="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\Pocket MSN" />

Here is the link: SDConfig.Builder.v0.7.85.PE

Thank you again for the help with SDConfig.Builder !

... and it looks like I am back to using provxml, at least for internet shortcuts / favorites :|

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=16

Best regards,
-boggsie

SOHKis 11-14-2008 04:51 PM

thanks rstoyguy! great info man

fychan 12-20-2008 10:41 AM

Hi There I'm trying very hard to disable the "Unknown Publisher" security warnings whenever i try to run a CAB or EXE.

Basically, I have did some reading... its related to the HKLM\Comm\Security\Policies\Policies\* settings.

I have converted the registries that I would like to install into a SecuityPolicies.provxml and added the followng entries into config.txt to get autorun to import into the device's registry.... but it failed...

XML: \Storage Card\CABS\SecurityPolies.provxml

Please advice... I really want to get this working so as to have an unattended autorun setup on my device.

Any experienced cook around...... please tell me how to disable this warning :)

regards
FY....

boggsie 12-20-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fychan (Post 589796)
Hi There I'm trying very hard to disable the "Unknown Publisher" security warnings whenever i try to run a CAB or EXE.

Basically, I have did some reading... its related to the HKLM\Comm\Security\Policies\Policies\* settings.

I have converted the registries that I would like to install into a SecuityPolicies.provxml and added the followng entries into config.txt to get autorun to import into the device's registry.... but it failed...

XML: \Storage Card\CABS\SecurityPolies.provxml

Please advice... I really want to get this working so as to have an unattended autorun setup on my device.

Any experienced cook around...... please tell me how to disable this warning :)

regards
FY....

I would imagine that the "XML:" tag works if used correctly, but I never got it to work for me, either.

What I do (on Windows XP) is rename the *.provxml file to setup.xml (SecurityPolicies.provxml -> setup.xml) and then use makecab.exe to put the xml into an installable cab file.

at a command prompt: makecab _setup.xml SecurityPolicies.cab

Then it should run ... if the provxml is not correct, it will throw an error when you try to run it on the ppc.

Best regards,
-boggsie

rstoyguy 12-20-2008 10:08 PM

I got it to work for me using "XML: \windows\regist_ry.xml" . I never tried the extionsion .provxml. You can also name the file something like "mxip_MySecurity_Off_100.provxml", cook it into your rom and windows should run it on start up.

Of course keep in mind, one little syntax error in your xml code and the whole xml/provxml file is bad and won't execute anything. For that, I nominate Boggsie! :) You might want to share and post the file, we can check it for you...

vin255764 02-02-2009 12:20 AM

Just want to say THANK YOU Thank you thank you thank you. Here is a pure result of all your tutorials http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...375#post602375