PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   ProvXML Reference for Developers (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31044)

rstoyguy 09-01-2008 07:48 PM

Re: ProvXML Reference for Developers

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgeoff (Post 400747)
I forgot to ask.... are you doing the provxml > rgu conversion by hand or are you using a tool? All I have seen so far is going rgu > provxml.

I'm starting to think that going back to the dogguy kitchen is the best thing for me :(

by hand. I wish there was a tool. I started but I overwrote the oem directory accidentally when I was helping someone with their rom. I'll start it again, but it's a painfull cut n paste deal. :) Then there are still security certificates and what not. I might have some time later this week. I have noticed that the newer roms seem to take longer to soft reset, so the curiosity is still there, just no time lately...

mrgeoff 09-01-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 400755)
by hand. I wish there was a tool. I started but I overwrote the oem directory accidentally when I was helping someone with their rom. I'll start it again, but it's a painfull cut n paste deal. :) Then there are still security certificates and what not. I might have some time later this week. I have noticed that the newer roms seem to take longer to soft reset, so the curiosity is still there, just no time lately...

I know it will be a lenghty process... but if I move away from from the PPCKitchen, it will be a necessary evil.

I hear ya on the no time. Sounds like you sold your soul doing the OEM requests :mrgreen:

rstoyguy 09-01-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgeoff (Post 400798)
I know it will be a lenghty process... but if I move away from from the PPCKitchen, it will be a necessary evil.

I hear ya on the no time. Sounds like you sold your soul doing the OEM requests :mrgreen:

A little more than I expected... :) But if I do it, I'll detail the provxml's I did so they can be deleted, and include an OEM. They are pretty much standard so far in the different rom's that I've seen. Except the 3-4 that the different carriers include to tweak their cube/roms. I may come up with a ..\sys oem and then I'll do the sprint stuff.

EtrnlWolf 09-02-2008 12:45 AM

so... mxipCOLD is only for a hard reset/first flash? ie it won't run on a soft-reset?

leaving mxipUPDATE.. says it will only run when the given package is updated, so is it the processing of all XML's to see if there was any update during a softreset that you think is slowing the boot times down?

not second guessing you at all, just trying to determine if i am following the mxip*.provxml stuff correctly...

rstoyguy 09-02-2008 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtrnlWolf (Post 401065)
so... mxipCOLD is only for a hard reset/first flash? ie it won't run on a soft-reset?

leaving mxipUPDATE.. says it will only run when the given package is updated, so is it the processing of all XML's to see if there was any update during a softreset that you think is slowing the boot times down?

not second guessing you at all, just trying to determine if i am following the mxip*.provxml stuff correctly...

According to the SDK, mxipCOLD is treated the same as mxip. mxipUPDATE only processes on an "image update". The "image update", I think is basically a soft-reset. In the last Sprint Vogue ROM release there were:

mxip_*_*.provxml = 9 files
mxipcold_*_*.provxml = 3 files
mxipupdate_*_*.provxml = 19 files

So on first boot you have 31 additional files processed...

And on a soft reset you have an additional 19 files that must be processed...

So yes, I think it is slowing down the boot process. By how much??? Who knows, but most of the mxipupdate* files are designed to bring the sprint settings back. I assume when little johny messes up his phone, one call to sprint tech support, they have johny reset and all is back to how it was.

mrgeoff 09-02-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 401011)
A little more than I expected... :) But if I do it, I'll detail the provxml's I did so they can be deleted, and include an OEM. They are pretty much standard so far in the different rom's that I've seen. Except the 3-4 that the different carriers include to tweak their cube/roms. I may come up with a ..\sys oem and then I'll do the sprint stuff.

If you do ever have to time for that, it would be pretty cool. I was going to try and do that sometime this week or this coming weekend. It's not a big rush to me.

Videonut 09-02-2008 04:48 PM

Anyone have any luck getting a path to the \Storage Card\somedirectory to work in a provxml on a Touch/Vogue
Here is a line that just won't go into the registry, but after flashing I can add this entry manually without problems. BTW this is formatted properly within the xml file, just didn't want to paste the whole thing. ;-)
<parm name="weatherIconPath" datatype="string" value="\Storage Card\WPIcons"/>
be nice if storage card had a %ce00% for consistancy across devices.

EDIT...
The more I think about this, I believe it must just be the WeatherPanel program overwriting this registry entry, because I'm pretty sure I could put /nopath/nofile and that would get written to the registy verbatim since it's really just a string.

rstoyguy 09-02-2008 11:56 PM

As an update, I'm going to first take all the file operations and convert those to a regular initflashfiles.txt file and see what happens. Most of what I've seen in the ..\SYS folder are file operations and security certs...

I'm sure with all that file moving around, that should speed it up....anyone got a stopwatch? I forgot I use an app on my phone... :)

boggsie 09-03-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 402148)
As an update, I'm going to first take all the file operations and convert those to a regular initflashfiles.txt file and see what happens. Most of what I've seen in the ..\SYS folder are file operations and security certs...

I'm sure with all that file moving around, that should speed it up....anyone got a stopwatch? I forgot I use an app on my phone... :)

Generally speaking (non-PPCKitchen) is finding these things just the trial and error process of opening up the various provxml files?

for example ... things like:
ActiveSync
Calendar
Contacts
Help
Internet Explorer
Internet Sharing
Messaging
Notes
Phone

I've learned (thanks to your examples and tips) how to move/delete these with (prov)XML (_setup.xml) in a FileOperation.cab, but as I am learning, that is simply taking more time to do something that was just done as part of the phone setup.

I'm trying to follow, but am I on the right track, here?

EDIT: It looks as if most of what I was / am looking for is in initflashes.dat.

Best regards,
-boggsie

shaggylive 05-16-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 402148)

I've been doing a lot of research in regards to these files and am planning on posting my compiled findings, but I wanted to check in with ya'll first.
specifically did you notice any speed improvement rstoyguy? I'm guessing only @ first boot.
2nd, has anyone proven mxip_update files are ran @ soft reset? I'm betting not.