PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   TP downloads entire Yahoo Mail account instead of only the past 7 days (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91723)

SentientByDesign 10-21-2009 01:13 PM

TP downloads entire Yahoo Mail account instead of only the past 7 days

This is getting REALLY agrivating.

Not only does my TP go into super snail mode, but my battery gets hot and drains quickly because the phone is trying to sync 2437 messages from my Yahoo Mail inbox. The earliest messages are from 06.

At first I checked the sync settings and even tried changing them to another number of days to see if that would work. No dice.

Then I took the phone back to sprint for this issue and another one and had them replace the phone. Still have the same problem.

Other than the actual email account, the only constant between both phones is that I used PIM to load up my contacts, messages, and calendar (still need to go through those text messages and deleted a few thousand).

Anybody have a solution for this problem? I'm thinking it's Yahoo that's causing the issue, but I'm not sure how or how to solve it. If I need to bump up my account from a free one to a Plus account, that's fine, but I'd like to get my email back on track.

BTW, this problem comes and goes. I initially thought it was only on weekends, but the problem surfaced today as well.

demolasko 10-21-2009 04:58 PM

Re: TP downloads entire Yahoo Mail account instead of only the past 7 days

i say ditch the yahoo account and get a google one sorry jsut my opinion

SentientByDesign 10-21-2009 05:05 PM

I have a gmail account as well, but since I've had the Yahoo one for 4 years and it's always worked pretty well, I'm not about to ditch it and move all of my forum memberships over to a new gmail account.

Gmail is kind of clinical for my taste too...

demolasko 10-21-2009 05:08 PM

try setting the account up with the seven program it will turn you pop3 or IMAP e-mail in to Push mail .. thats what i use ...

i'll post the cab once i find it

demolasko 10-21-2009 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is .. its 1 version old but it will just ask you to update it

digi 10-23-2009 04:23 AM

Try adding recent: to your user name like this

recent:username@yahoo.com

I do not know for sure if that works with Yahoo, as I use the far superior Gmail :P, but I do know it works with other popmail servers.

digi 10-23-2009 04:26 AM

Oh, and as far as changing to Gmail, its not as bad as it sounds. You can actually have your Gmail account grab your Yahoo mail for you with POP, then you can even reply to mails with your Yahoo email address, all within the Gmail interface. Not to mention POP/IMAP, Google Sync, and a million other features, like I said, far superior.

kidmet 10-23-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentientByDesign (Post 1251522)
This is getting REALLY agrivating.

Not only does my TP go into super snail mode, but my battery gets hot and drains quickly because the phone is trying to sync 2437 messages from my Yahoo Mail inbox. The earliest messages are from 06.

At first I checked the sync settings and even tried changing them to another number of days to see if that would work. No dice.

Then I took the phone back to sprint for this issue and another one and had them replace the phone. Still have the same problem.

Other than the actual email account, the only constant between both phones is that I used PIM to load up my contacts, messages, and calendar (still need to go through those text messages and deleted a few thousand).

Anybody have a solution for this problem? I'm thinking it's Yahoo that's causing the issue, but I'm not sure how or how to solve it. If I need to bump up my account from a free one to a Plus account, that's fine, but I'd like to get my email back on track.

BTW, this problem comes and goes. I initially thought it was only on weekends, but the problem surfaced today as well.

I had this problem. I deleted my yahoo account off the phone, reset it up, no more problems.

SentientByDesign 10-27-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digi (Post 1257150)
Oh, and as far as changing to Gmail, its not as bad as it sounds. You can actually have your Gmail account grab your Yahoo mail for you with POP, then you can even reply to mails with your Yahoo email address, all within the Gmail interface. Not to mention POP/IMAP, Google Sync, and a million other features, like I said, far superior.

I might look into this. I've had the yahoo account for so long and it's easy. Plus I just like the antiquated interface. But I really need my business emails to get to me and gmail might be the answer. Still sucks that the yahoo account is going haywire. I'm tempted to pay for the Yahoo Plus just so I can contact support and ask them what they did to cause the problem as I highly doubt it's a Sprint/HTC thing (complaining enough to get a TP2 would be nice though :laughing6:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidmet
I had this problem. I deleted my yahoo account off the phone, reset it up, no more problems.

Wish this was a solution for me...I've tried this with the old phone and it didn't work. I've also setup the account on a refurbed phone and still no luck.

It keeps switching back and forth which is weird. It will be accurate for a few hours, then decide it's time to download all 23xx emails. :banghead:

SentientByDesign 10-27-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digi (Post 1257145)
Try adding recent: to your user name like this

recent:username@yahoo.com

I do not know for sure if that works with Yahoo, as I use the far superior Gmail :P, but I do know it works with other popmail servers.

Didn't work, but thanks for the suggestion. It might have something to do with the fact that the yahoo mail is being pulled as IMAP, not POP3.