PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

garyflynn is keeping up the good workgaryflynn is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's the story with the sys numbers?

The roms with sys numbers like 23041 and 23047 are starting to look really good, almost enough to make me upgrade from my current 21731 longhorn rom.

I thought I'd wait until the RTM sys came out but found out that it has already come up and is old now. Is that possible? Are shipping products going to be released with software that chefs xda and ppcgeeks.com had found unacceptably buggy a month before they were released?

Where are these sys coming from? Is there any pattern to how they're released?

I'd like to find a rom sys 101 course somewhere that explains who released which and when. Is that available anywhere?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: What's the story with the sys numbers?

Well any WM SYS will constantly be changing and improving (AND Breaking) code.

MS doesn't stop updating an operating system just because it has been released on a device.

That said I have read that the 23017 sys is the most stable version of 6.5 to date.

As for where they come from...some are ripped from actual phones, Others are leaked by MS developers (I presume this don't know exactly who!).

XDA is a good place to look for sys resources and origination info.

I suggest if you really want to play around with different sys' you download a good visual kitchen which will let you cook a rom for any sys that gets released in the future.

Not every sys is as buggy as they would appear. In some cases it is not the sys that is really at issue but the software cooked in that is incompatible with some change made to the way the OS works and returns info.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Carrier: Sprint

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

as far as i know, 23017 is the last build without the new GUI
Old 09-10-2009, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

IM0001 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIM0001 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIM0001 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to IM0001 Send a message via AIM to IM0001 Send a message via MSN to IM0001 Send a message via Skype™ to IM0001

Ya this has confused me over the past few months as well lol. Every time I click on a rom forum page there are like 6 new sys'es only 1 # apart or something lol. I really wish there was a way microsoft could make a windows update for PDA's and allow the OS to be more universal instead of hacked and slashed device specific. I know the driver ammounts would have to increase immensly but would their not be a way to make a basic OS that has basic drivers for the device to start up and then download what drivers it needs per device from the internet through USB? Heck so many of the devices are HTC are they really that hardware different from each other that this could not be possible?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro