PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Power warning question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77743)

sprintmogulfan 08-03-2009 07:36 AM

Power warning question

Hi,

I have a Sprint Touch Pro and keep getting a power warning as of yesterday. The message says "Warning - The power will be shut off. You may lose data if you have not backed them up. Do you wish to continue?". I hit no and it just keeps popping up over and over. I hit yes and the phone restarts and keeps displaying the message. I am using the stock Sprint rom. Any ideas?

raidzero 08-03-2009 07:44 AM

Re: Power warning question

sounds way too obvious to me but is the power button stuck down?

sprintmogulfan 08-03-2009 07:45 AM

Ok, just realizd that the warning pops up everytime I hit the power button to turn off the screen. The screen doesnt turn off and the warning pops up. The warning does pop up randomly as well.

leighton86 08-03-2009 07:46 AM

sounds like you have a program or file that's trying to open up...or maybe finish downloading...

since it does it when even when the phone soft resets, it sounds like your phone is trying to open something over and over again.

i'm no phone pro, so if i'm wrong....don't rip me apart guys. :mrgreen:

sprintmogulfan 08-03-2009 08:56 AM

Well, I can definitely say that the power button is not stuck down. It depresses perfectly. Hmmm.....hope a hard reset is not in my future!

CozBoogie 08-03-2009 01:11 PM

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

CovKid66 08-03-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprintmogulfan (Post 1078296)
Hi,

I have a Sprint Touch Pro and keep getting a power warning as of yesterday. The message says "Warning - The power will be shut off. You may lose data if you have not backed them up. Do you wish to continue?". I hit no and it just keeps popping up over and over. I hit yes and the phone restarts and keeps displaying the message. I am using the stock Sprint rom. Any ideas?

Are you pressing the power button briefly or holding it down for several seconds? That message sounds like the type of message that normally appears when you press the power button for an extended period of time. And if the power button is not stuck down as you've said, then you possibly have a hardware / contact issue with the power button sending a false signal. Worst case, try a hard reset, and if that doesn't work then I think you have your answer.

Major_Nate 08-03-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covkid66 (Post 1078786)
Are you pressing the power button briefly or holding it down for several seconds? That message sounds like the type of message that normally appears when you press the power button for an extended period of time. And if the power button is not stuck down as you've said, then you possibly have a hardware / contact issue with the power button sending a false signal. Worst case, try a hard reset, and if that doesn't work then I think you have your answer.

+1 for covkid66. Ditto, good job. Hope that works.

sprintmogulfan 08-03-2009 05:12 PM

First of all.....I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to think about my issue and respond.

The typical behavior was pressing the power button once very quickly. Instead of the screen shutting off as intended....the warning would pop up. If I just press the "no" option the box keeps popping up.

Ok...so I ended up doing a hard reset. The dang warning still popped up afterward. So I had to leave the phone on the charger in the car while I was out at a location for work. When I came back...the phone was pretty hot. I went ahead and restored everything with sprite backup. The box still popped up. All of a sudden the box stopped popping up and the phone is acting normal again!????? I am able to kill power to the screen with a single press of the power button...and no warning box pops up.

Not sure whats going on but all seems to be healed.....for now.

horndoctor 08-03-2009 06:32 PM

Sounds to me like your original issue was caused by a short circuit in the power button causing the button to act as though it was pressed and held causing the question box to keep coming up. Probably, the switch un-stuck or stopped short circuiting and that's why it's acting normally now. I hope it stays that way! Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it. I would take it to a repair center and have it checked. Or, if it is really new take it back for an exchange. That's my (long drawn out) two cents. :)

underminded000 08-05-2009 09:35 AM

I had the same issue for about a week and it was driving me to the brink of madness. Hard Reset didnt help, Prying the power button up a smidge didnt help. Then after about a week of pondering whether or not to smash my phone into a million pieces it corrected itself. Very strange issue.