PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Anyway of backing up though the bootloader? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77606)

jhightman 08-01-2009 10:20 PM

Anyway of backing up though the bootloader?

The other day my TP hung after I ignored a call while using it tethered. I soft reset it, but now it only boots to the TouchPro screen with red lettering on the bottom. Even though I have Sprite, it has been awhile since I ran a backup, however most of my important data is on a SD card. I was able to get into the firmware update screen and there use TeraTerm to run info commands. However I was very disappointed to find out that all of the MFG commands, such as 'd2s', 's2d', 'r2sd' have been removed. Obviously using Sprite ever day would help (I still use Archie for SMS messages), however it seems odd to me that no one has a ROM reader for this phone. When it is flashed does it not do a read back verify? I figured a post here wouldn't hurt, as I have looked extensively everywhere else. Has anyone put the boot loader back to .25 which had the ROM to SD command? I understand HTC reasoning behind removing these commands, still it would be nice if there was a way of pulling an image that way. Maybe Sprite could add it in to their backup software? My next step will be to re-flash and in doing so wipeout any chance of recovering more of my data. With a Windows based OS, there really needs to be more recovery options than what we currently have.

J!

psycho_maniac 08-02-2009 12:15 AM

Re: Anyway of backing up though the bootloader?

so i didnt read your post because of the color of the font but ill answer the threds topic

i think you can hook up the phone with bootloader and then start activsync.....try that.

jhightman 08-02-2009 07:16 AM

I explicitly set the font to black, so hopefully it will be more readable.

Unfortunately ActiveSync is for Windows to Windows communication. Under XP there is a program running, wcescomm.exe, which is half of the pair for this to work. Without Windows Mobile running, the other half is missing. To read the ROM in the bootloader (assuming one could), an application would have to talk to the device directly through the USB port and act as if it was verifying a flash. I have read of some places doing data recovery on phones, but don't know if that is as extreme as removing the flash chip and reading it that way. It seems to me someone who could offer software to read a phone in flash mode, they could make some money given the prevalence of pda and smart phones on the market now.

Reposted below:

The other day my TP hung after I ignored a call while using it tethered. I soft reset it, but now it only boots to the TouchPro screen with red lettering on the bottom. Even though I have Sprite, it has been awhile since I ran a backup, however most of my important data is on a SD card. I was able to get into the firmware update screen and there use TeraTerm to run info commands. However I was very disappointed to find out that all of the MFG commands, such as 'd2s', 's2d', 'r2sd' have been removed. Obviously using Sprite ever day would help (I still use Archie for SMS messages), however it seems odd to me that no one has a ROM reader for this phone. When it is flashed does it not do a read back verify? I figured a post here wouldn't hurt, as I have looked extensively everywhere else. Has anyone put the boot loader back to .25 which had the ROM to SD command? I understand HTC reasoning behind removing these commands, still it would be nice if there was a way of pulling an image that way. Maybe Sprite could add it in to their backup software? My next step will be to re-flash and in doing so wipeout any chance of recovering more of my data. With a Windows based OS, there really needs to be more recovery options than what we currently have.

J!

rstoyguy 08-02-2009 07:27 AM

Your device needs to be able to boot to run a program like sprite backup. Best thing to do is to learn from this expierence. Bite the bullet, hard reset and backup in the future on regular intervals. That way when it happens again, your only a day or so behind. And once you get your phone working again, then try to restore a backup...

jhightman 08-02-2009 08:06 AM

It is true to run Sprite Backup, Window Mobile needs to run. In my case when the phone crashed, it ‘bricked’. I have done a hard reset, a soft reset, as well as charged, pulled and replaced the battery. At this point, it either starts to the initial TouchPro screen and hangs or I can get in to the flash mode (volume down + power button). The only option is to reload the OS at this point and then yes restore a backup. No prob! However in situations like this, I find it interesting to explore the possibilities. When I have had a hard drive crash so that it only shows up under Windows as RAW, I didn’t just repartition and reformat it. Now I have a great collection of data recovery tool (such as R-TT R-Studio) that can pull files off of disks that way or even on which have been repartitioned and reformatted NTFS. I have a hard disk’s PCB smoke and luckily had on had another drive with the same ROM version and so put that board, replaced the burnt up one and got the data back I needed. In the case of this phone, I know the data is still on there, just that I haven’t found a way to read it. I’m not going to pay hundreds of dollars to a data recovery service for a couple days of text messages, however I don’t believe in throwing in the towel without putting forth a little due diligence to at least try to recover my stuff. If nothing else one learns something!

fr0st 08-02-2009 09:10 AM

Sign up for My Phone from microsoft. It's free and you will never have to worry about losing contacts again..

http://sn1-p1.myphone.microsoft.com/...t.po?mkt=en-US