PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   <<< Stupid Noob, need guidance (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76453)

canosgmk 07-26-2009 11:40 PM

<<< Stupid Noob, need guidance

Hello,

I got my HTC touch pro because of the 'good' reviews on cnet.com. well, it blows so far. I think it is the windows OS that is making so lagging and unusable.

I have read a lot of good information about unlocking and loading ROMS. What I need is a dummy guide in what I need to do for the phone able to be used in my work environment and play environment. I use everything from Word, Excel, Powerpoint, texting, aim, web surfing, tethering (do not work 85% of the time), weather, blue tooth, etc....

I know everyone is tired of hearing the noob questions as I am part of another forum in a different topic. Please point me in the right direction or be as detail as possible. There are many terms on here I do not understand yet.

Thank you for everyone's time!

Chow.

NetApex 07-26-2009 11:42 PM

Re: <<< Stupid Noob, need guidance

Simply read and follow along. All of your questions should be answered here

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43266

rezn 07-26-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canosgmk (Post 1061782)
Hello,

I got my HTC touch pro because of the 'good' reviews on cnet.com. well, it blows so far. I think it is the windows OS that is making so lagging and unusable.

I have read a lot of good information about unlocking and loading ROMS. What I need is a dummy guide in what I need to do for the phone able to be used in my work environment and play environment. I use everything from Word, Excel, Powerpoint, texting, aim, web surfing, tethering (do not work 85% of the time), weather, blue tooth, etc....

I know everyone is tired of hearing the noob questions as I am part of another forum in a different topic. Please point me in the right direction or be as detail as possible. There are many terms on here I do not understand yet.

Chow.

Did you read any of the stickies for the pro forums? Many of them have step by step instructions.

rezn 07-26-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetApex (Post 1061787)
Simply read and follow along. All of your questions should be answered here

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43266

^ Even provided you with a nifty link to make your searching effortless.

elephant007 07-27-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Hello,

Chow.

1. Everyone of us here was newbie at one time
  2. Your best defense from asking "stupid questions" is to read the STICKIES
  3. Second lind of defense against 'studpid questions" is become aquainted with the SEARCH feature
  4. If you can't find something in search use Google and type in what you're looking for and add site:forum.ppcgeeks.com at the end
  5. There are no stupid questions, there are some stupid answers though!!!
Everyone of us here was a newbie at one time.

I wouldn't know about your dissatisfaction with your device because I flashed mine as soon as I got it, by following instruction provided in a sticky (which you were directed too) Since you're a newbie I wouldn't Let Me Google That For You, you :mrgreen:
Good luck and welcome!

anasazi 07-27-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Hello,

i've flashed quite a few ROM's over the past 7-8 months that i've had mine and that lagging and sometimes feeling of being unusable will never go away, it might get slightly improved depending on the ROM but it'll never be satisfactory.

get used to the slowness, especially laggy keyboards.

Mutiny32 07-27-2009 10:37 AM

I totally came in here expecting how to bust your guys' balls about not helping him and instead of telling him that he should search and use the correct forum (i.e. STFU noob), but instead of that, you guys actually helped him!

I'm proud of you guys. :sniff:

But a friendly piece of advice to the thread starter: please ask help questions in the general Touch Pro forum or in a specific thread pertaining to your exact problem.

Lastly; you will find that there are a lot of smart and helpful people on here. Don't be discouraged to ask "dumb" questions. A lot of times, those kind of questions lead to new discoveries and make people more informed about stuff that they took for granted.

dodge_longhorn 07-27-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutiny32 (Post 1062333)
I totally came in here expecting how to bust your guys' balls about not helping him and instead of telling him that he should search and use the correct forum (i.e. STFU noob), but instead of that, you guys actually helped him!

I'm proud of you guys. :sniff:

But a friendly piece of advice to the thread starter: please ask help questions in the general Touch Pro forum or in a specific thread pertaining to your exact problem.

Lastly; you will find that there are a lot of smart and helpful people on here. Don't be discouraged to ask "dumb" questions. A lot of times, those kind of questions lead to new discoveries and make people more informed about stuff that they took for granted.

I am proud of you guys so helpful all of you ge tthanks

Tehbanz 07-27-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Hello,

Chow.

Man, i tell you. I bought this phone for my new job (dropped 500 bucks on it too, couldn't get the "upgrade price") and it was CRAP! I was sooo disappointed. half the time it never worked! I loaded mighty rom on and now it's slicker than snot on a doorknob! Have fun. for tethering use WMWifi router, it's amazing, it's so much better than the stock internet sharing, there's 6 different modes, all which work and are very useful. (not to mention i got a tad bit faster speeds with it!)

CozBoogie 07-27-2009 11:23 AM

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

ChaosTheory 07-27-2009 11:51 AM

If you are looking for some help on some common terms, check out my glossary :) If there is anything that is not defined there put a post requesting a definition and I will work on it :D

And all you veterans that have an extensive PPC vocabulary, get over there and add to it :lol:

canosgmk 07-27-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezn (Post 1061789)
Did you read any of the stickies for the pro forums? Many of them have step by step instructions.

Yes,

Please keep in mind if someone is just learning about ROM and upgrades and such, we really have no clue how to decode "new style of kitchen" "hard-spl" and there is more, i am just trying to remember what they are.

I got this information from this kid at Waterfest 15 in NJ that has a touch pro and was tethering it. He swears about this site so I have come to see.

I will try and read the 11+ pages of jokes on the link posted here to gather all the information about unlocking and ROM installing.

In closing, there isn't a sticky for noobs that walks though what is what and why is what. Would be easier if someone like me walk in and go to "htc touch pro" (what i own) and see a stick called, "Noob 101 on upgrades and updates".

Problem with searching. if i don't know what I am searching for, i can't find my answer. :)

EDIT: btw... looks like i have to put my vista laptop back together so i can do this stuff. :( wish there was something I can do so my Apple pro can do this. With out parallel or boot camp. (yes, i will search)

Thanks for the help!

ChaosTheory 07-27-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canosgmk (Post 1062571)
Yes,

Please keep in mind if someone is just learning about ROM and upgrades and such, we really have no clue how to decode "new style of kitchen" "hard-spl" and there is more, i am just trying to remember what they are.

I got this information from this kid at Waterfest 15 in NJ that has a touch pro and was tethering it. He swears about this site so I have come to see.

I will try and read the 11+ pages of jokes on the link posted here to gather all the information about unlocking and ROM installing.

In closing, there isn't a sticky for noobs that walks though what is what and why is what. Would be easier if someone like me walk in and go to "htc touch pro" (what i own) and see a stick called, "Noob 101 on upgrades and updates".

As far as flashing without a computer, if you can put a file on the SD card of your phone, you can flash from the SD card :)

Problem with searching. if i don't know what I am searching for, i can't find my answer. :)

Thanks for the help!

My glossary has most common terms, but a quick answer to the two you listed:

Hard-spl , a hard coded secondary program loader. A SPL is Secondary Program Loader, similar to the BIOS in a computer and capable of being flashed. Loads up the ROM and other defaults.

Kitchen is a program that is used to create ROMs, and there are 2 styles (that I am aware of) the older BuildOS style and the newer Visual Kitchen style.

My glossary coupled with the first post in the thread linked to earlier should get you going. If you have any other questions about term definitions post it in my glossary and I will try to answer it for you :D

A tip on searching, go to advanced search and click search thread titles. That will help narrow it down. If you don't come up with an answer that way, select the "show posts" rather than show threads, that way you see the specific post that mentions it.

As far as flashing, you can flash using only your SD card, all you do is rename the ROM to RAPHIMG and put it in the root directory of your sd card, then reset to bootloader mode. (Read more about exactly how to do that in the first post of the link posted earlier)

brushrop03 07-27-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canosgmk (Post 1062571)
Yes,

EDIT: btw... looks like i have to put my vista laptop back together so i can do this stuff. :( wish there was something I can do so my Apple pro can do this. With out parallel or boot camp. (yes, i will search)

Thanks for the help!

hmm...I agree. Some of the titles in the stickies could be more noob friendly

canosgmk 07-29-2009 08:19 PM

UPDATE:

I have unlocked the phone and have mighty rom 6.5 running.

Thanks for the guidance. One more noob educated!!

Biggzz 07-29-2009 08:28 PM

there was a video tutorial that really helped me out when started learning...I was grateful for that one in the stickies.