PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Recover SMS text messages? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74119)

DeputyStankus 07-08-2009 04:07 PM

Recover SMS text messages?

I just did a hard reset on my TP. Before hand, I backed up with Sprite 6.5.4. I un-checked the mail option, because I wanted to get rid of a phantom e-mail account.

Like an idiot, I didn't realize that this would mean my text messages were not backed up. Am I completely out of luck? Is there any way to recover those sms?

Mylt1 07-08-2009 05:00 PM

Re: Recover SMS text messages?

if you didnt back them up, there gone.

DeputyStankus 07-08-2009 07:16 PM

Do we know where the messages are stored? I copied almost every folder in the system directory before the backup, in addition to the sprite backup.

basilray 07-08-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyStankus (Post 1023062)
Do we know where the messages are stored? I copied almost every folder in the system directory before the backup, in addition to the sprite backup.

I've asked that question before with unfavorable results...

The consensus seems to be that they are stored somewhere in Outlook's cold clammy grasp. You MAY be able to use SPB Backup Unpack and import the files into Outlook on your PC though. Other than that, I don't know that there's much that can be done.

I guess you could POSSIBLY be able to unpack, use Outlook on your PC to try and find the files, them drop them back onto your phone...but I have no idea if this would actually work or not. Depends on if they are stored neatly as individual files or something more like an *.pst

frazell 07-08-2009 08:46 PM

I don't think you'll be able to recover the messages. The outlook store is a database and I'm not sure how you can recover that database once the phone has been hardreset.

DeputyStankus 07-09-2009 12:06 PM

Yay!:(

ChaosTheory 07-09-2009 12:23 PM

That sucks man, pretty sure they are gone. You might try using Dashwire or MS My Phone in the future. They both backup text messages for future use, My Phone allows you to download them back to your phone, and Dashwire allows you to send and receive them independently of your phone (send for sure, I could be wrong on the receive part though).

Just my input.

madcowmilau 07-09-2009 12:26 PM

im just curious, why do we find it necessary 2 save all text messages? i used 2 do it, but i find that they load much faster when i have 500 or less. i used 2 keep them all, but realized there is no point.

ChaosTheory 07-09-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcowmilau (Post 1024679)
im just curious, why do we find it necessary 2 save all text messages? i used 2 do it, but i find that they load much faster when i have 500 or less. i used 2 keep them all, but realized there is no point.

I don't keep very many, but I do like to keep the last few just to have. Plus I get weather notifications by text, so having those is handy when I flash so I still have the forecast.

DeputyStankus 07-09-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcowmilau (Post 1024679)

I wouldn't care too much except I had codes for free Redbox rentals, as well as picture mails, that I didn't want to lose. Oh, well.