PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Tether and Charge :) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73981)

mkmkmk13 07-07-2009 02:11 PM

Tether and Charge :)

Sorry if this has been mentioned before

my cable internet was down yesterday, so i grabbed my TP and tethered for a good hour then the battery was dead..
so i pluged the TP in the bedroom and felt like it was crazy hot, i fired up WMWIFIROUTER and it worked but then it would stop charging and die again

so i unplugged the battery from the phone placed everything in one of my A/C vents, it cooled down in 2 mins plugged it and it started to charge..
but heat came back very fast, so i stuck the phone with the keyboard open and without a back cover back in the A/C's Vent while its charging, THATS IT
i tethered the hole day on it with out problems
today i tried the same thing with a mini fan that i had blow closely on the open tp and still works

so heat is the TP's enemy:violent2:

eehrhard 07-07-2009 02:16 PM

Re: Tether and Charge :)

I've done the exact same thing. I travel full time so i work from hotel rooms alot i have placed my TP charging on the window ac unit to keep it cool while wmwifirouter was pumping out the bandwidth to me.

MetalHd 07-07-2009 02:17 PM

Do you notice a difference in signal with the keyboard open? I do... ugh.

mkmkmk13 07-07-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalHd (Post 1020001)
Do you notice a difference in signal with the keyboard open? I do... ugh.

not at all, but i noticed that without cooling signal would drop sometimes or change into x1
i have strong signal where i live

boredandtattooed 07-07-2009 03:01 PM

our TPs overheat, when tethering even? no way!!

just funnin with ya man.. yeah the radios get exceptionally warm and stop charging so the batteries dont explode... you cant even talk on the phone while charging without this happening...

gotta love retail: $579.99 overheating pieces of junk huh LOL

krielys 07-07-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1020136)
yeah the radios get exceptionally warm and stop charging so the batteries dont explode...

pffff rofl. it has nothing to do with exploding ! =D>

charging a lithium ion battery while it's hot severely shortens its lifespan. many of these type of batteries have a feature that allows them to try and keep you from killing them: if battery gets too hot, the battery's heat sensor will trigger and it will interrupt the power current so that you dont ruin the battery.

instead of being thankful for it tho, most ppl just b*tch about it. :angry7:

krielys 07-07-2009 04:10 PM

youre going to earn yourself some amazingly crappy battery life if you keep doing those two things: 1) letting the battery die 2) trying to charge while its hot

if you want to try and save the battery.. only tether while not charging, then stop tethering when battery gets to like 40 or so percent and charge it up, then unplug it and go back to tethering.

of course.. that takes some discipline, lol.

if youre going to tether.. best to have a separate battery that you use for only tethering, and change it out when youre done.. so that you dont have to battle to keep your phone alive all day when youre using it normally.

or keep an extra battery always charged so that you dont have to charge the battery while its hot.. because the phone is heating the battery.. the battery isnt heating itself (very much)..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 (Post 1019982)
Sorry if this has been mentioned before

my cable internet was down yesterday, so i grabbed my TP and tethered for a good hour then the battery was dead..
so i pluged the TP in the bedroom and felt like it was crazy hot, i fired up WMWIFIROUTER and it worked but then it would stop charging and die again

so i unplugged the battery from the phone placed everything in one of my A/C vents, it cooled down in 2 mins plugged it and it started to charge..
but heat came back very fast, so i stuck the phone with the keyboard open and without a back cover back in the A/C's Vent while its charging, THATS IT
i tethered the hole day on it with out problems
today i tried the same thing with a mini fan that i had blow closely on the open tp and still works

so heat is the TP's enemy:violent2:

boredandtattooed 07-07-2009 05:03 PM

Guys, were talking about Touch Pros, Not Moguls... so im gonna excuse my opening statement from above.. the batteries are NOT whats getting hot, Its the RADIOs, the heat transfer is so great that it triggers the battery heat sensors, thats why it stops charging, the battery itself is not running hot..

also, "dont let your battery die"??? ummm, when u first start a new phone/battery, you overcharge it, then run it till it dies on you.. youve now set the conditioning for your battery... your always suppose to fully charge and fully rundown, that is the BEST way to keep your battery in "condition"....

nobodys ruining anything by running a fan on their TPs so they can tether and charge at same time... keep the radio cool and the battery never get hot, plain and simple.. i tether mutiple times a day and for multiple hrs, im not swtiching batteries al the time, im not charging the not charging, and i have my original battery still.. and ill go pound for pound on battery life with anyone else.... just make sure you have the same usuage patterns as me first, beacause i am an exceptionally heavy user..

spiralspirit 07-07-2009 05:39 PM

I use pdanet and connect via wire wire, even though it can connect via bluetooth or wifi, because it tends to produce less heat. I've never had it overheat that way.

krielys 07-07-2009 06:41 PM

oh sweetheart, youre killing me. :angry7:
that does not work for lithium ion.
that practice is for nickel batteries only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1020456)
also, "dont let your battery die"??? ummm, when u first start a new phone/battery, you overcharge it, then run it till it dies on you.. youve now set the conditioning for your battery... your always suppose to fully charge and fully rundown, that is the BEST way to keep your battery in "condition"....