PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Back-up for new ROM? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73905)

heydjbobby74 07-06-2009 06:54 PM

Back-up for new ROM?

Hello forum members I apologize if there was already a thread on this topic, but I couldn't think of how to search for it exactly. If there is, please feel free to move this MODS, thanks.

I am waiting for Mighty Rom 6 to arrive and was wondering if there was a way to save all info I have on my TP so I won't have to reload everything I have. I currently have SPB Backup and am not 100% sure if I can do it through that cab or not. Any help much appreciated!

TIA guys and gals!

wILLk0r3 818 07-06-2009 06:59 PM

Re: Back-up for new ROM?

SPB backup will work. I think that's a trial though. I personally use Sprite Backup which has NEVER failed me not even once. That's also a trial. Be sure whichever ROM you backup, you restore to the same ROM. This will back up a complete mirror of what you have now; PIM, installed programs, registry edits, manila, EVERYTHING. =)

wILLk0r3 818 07-06-2009 06:59 PM

Ohh yes, and as far as contacts/appointments/call log/emails/text, use PIMbackup. =D

heydjbobby74 07-06-2009 07:04 PM

Yeah I guess to more specific, I am going to flash MR6 when it drops I am curently running Silence/Mighty. I would like to somehow save all my information such as contacts/emails/etc... so that when I flash to Mighty Rom 6 I wont have to reload everything to the new ROM. Do you understand?

BRIVERS73 07-06-2009 07:06 PM

+1 on Sprite Backup it will restore your phone completely although it's not a great idea to restore to a different ROM then the one u backed up because of potential bugs could pop up...

eehrhard 07-06-2009 07:07 PM

I use a combination of things. I use Sashimi to reload my programs, register them and set up my email etc...

I use sprite or pim (or both) to get anything else I need.

Sashimi rocks though it has backup functionality too but I have not used it.

wILLk0r3 818 07-06-2009 07:07 PM

Yessir, use PIMbackup. That will backup appts, emails, text, call logs, contats and calendar. That will NOT backup registry edits, manila files, installed programs etc.

pastafarian 07-06-2009 07:17 PM

I would highly recommend that you NOT restore any programs or system settings from ROM to ROM, even if the B/U program says it can. Even if things seem to go well at first, my experience is that something will go wrong eventually. You'll probably have to do a hard reset to fix things in the end, so bite the bullet and install everything fresh. Consider it an opportunity to update your old wares and experiment with new options/settings. If you want to auto load your programs, check out sashimi or the many UC tutorials around here and xda. If you need to restore from a hard reset or replace your device (and first flash to the same rom), then whip out that b/u and have at it.

BRIVERS73 07-06-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastafarian (Post 1018103)
I would highly recommend that you NOT restore any programs or system settings from ROM to ROM, even if the B/U program says it can. Even if things seem to go well at first, my experience is that something will go wrong eventually. You'll probably have to do a hard reset to fix things in the end, so bite the bullet and install everything fresh. Consider it an opportunity to update your old wares and experiment with new options/settings. If you want to auto load your programs, check out sashimi or the many UC tutorials around here and xda. If you need to restore from a hard reset or replace your device (and first flash to the same rom), then whip out that b/u and have at it.

+1 I flashed my TP so many times I can get it back to the way I wanted (uninterrupted) in about 2 hours or so...

guitardoc64 07-06-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastafarian (Post 1018103)
I would highly recommend that you NOT restore any programs or system settings from ROM to ROM, even if the B/U program says it can. Even if things seem to go well at first, my experience is that something will go wrong eventually.

Best answer to the OP. +1 for Sashimi to install programs and user settings on the new ROM. SPB works, but the items restored must not include regedits or items that are not common to both ROMs or you'll be hard resetting and doing it the hard way.