PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla
Re: Can we stop the ROM madness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
I am against it, and I think it's a bad idea.

I can read too:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65925
Well put!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
No, it's just becoming more and more clear that you really don't understand what we're discussing. Your analogy is completely off-base. Let me give you the correct one.

Imagine you went to buy a car, and every single one of them had a proprietary engine. You had no way of knowing its horsepower, its torque, its fuel economy, and the type of fuel it required--in fact, these metrics don't even exist, so that when you try to ask: "what's its horsepower?" the salesperson simply responds: "well, drive it and see how fast it goes." The only thing you know is that your current car is pretty crappy. The only way you can confidently evaluate the car is by opening the hood and spending an hour or more examining the engine. That is how the ROM scene is right now.

Now imagine if you went to a lot, and the sales person said: "Ok, here are cars with 100 HP, and here are cars with 150 HP." Immediately you would understand the baseline performance of the cars you were examining. Then you could actually spend time evaluating the cars based on their own merits--do you like one car's interior styling more? Do you prefer manual transmission? How's the suspension on one model vs. another? That is what I am proposing--establishing an engine standard. Because as of now when I flash a new ROM I have no idea how the *basic functionality of the phone* will be affected. I have flashed some ROMs that have reduced my battery life dramatically, or that crashed repeatedly when I opened certain apps. This is the sort of thing that could be both easily avoided and the act of avoiding it would actually make everyone's life *easier.*

But what do I know? I joined in December 2008 and haven't posted until now, which clearly makes me less informed and educated than someone with your impressive Feb. 2008 join date.

Anyway, as x10guy said, this is unlikely to happen, and I agree with him. But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea, and it certainly doesn't mean your arguments against it are valid.
Several things:

1) Your join date is irrelevant, the quote above is your third post and you don't speak if you have much or any experience with different ROMs. Which, if you did I think you would realize this is not that great of an idea and kind of a moot point.
2) Many chefs on here already share many of the core components, hacks, and reg edits to produce the most stable and fastest ROMs. If you had flashed a ROM before you may have noticed, present in some of the change logs, gratitude given to various chefs for the information and or packages they provided and shared.
3) I think you have construed information that was not included in the OP's original request and have put your own spin on this request. Granted, not a bad one, but not quite the same.
4) I still think YOUR idea is a waste of time. Contrary to popular belief I do NOT think this is a good or worth while idea and here is why:
- All the great chefs coming together on this site to build a Super ROM or "base engine" for the ROM would make no noticeable difference in real world performance. Why do I say this? Because I have tried Copper (collaboration between Mighty and Juicy) as well as Silent Might or whatever its called. There was no noticeable difference in speed or stability in the collaborations vs the independently produced ROMs. You seem to think that if these chefs came together they could magically produce a ROM that greatly out performs what already exist. This would not be the case and has not been the case before. Like I said, if you would try some of these collaborations, you might understand what I am talking about.
5) Sorry to call you a newcomer, you've obviously been around for a little while and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. That doesn't mean you have any experience or know what you are talking about.
6) Ultimately, you will have to try them out to see what you're getting. Uh, kinda like buying a car which I mentioned before.

Last edited by mlin; 06-30-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: Verizon.....has anyone seen my Alltel?

leighton86 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

.........really?

is this now your playground to act out your fantasy of being a 6 year old again?

i have an idea....what if we all just grew up and quit trying to prove who's got bigger b*lls.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

drnick5 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post

4) I still think YOUR idea is a waste of time. Contrary to popular belief I do NOT think this is a good or worth while idea and here is why:
- All the great chefs coming together on this site to build a Super ROM or "base engine" for the ROM would make no noticeable difference in real world performance. Why do I say this? Because I have tried Copper (collaboration between Mighty and Juicy) as well as Silent Might or whatever its called. There was no noticeable difference in speed or stability in the collaborations vs the independently produced ROMs. You seem to think that if these chefs came together they could magically produce a ROM that greatly out performs what already exist. This would not be the case and has not been the case before. Like I said, if you would try some of these collaborations, you might understand what I am talking about.
while, I agree with you saying if all of the major ROM makers got together, it wouldn't necessarily mean a better rom. I have to say, i used mighty ROM's for a while, and when mighty and silence teamed up it got a LOT faster (in my opinion, its the fastest ive used)

telling everyone to go ahead and team up to make us a better rom would be like telling every major auto makers (Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, etc.) to get together and build one awesome SUPER car that gets 100 MPG with 300 HP.... its not gonna happen. the main reason for the different roms are taste and style. some people want a more plain bare bones approach, other people want something that has a little more shine to it. some people want all their programs baked in to the rom, others want to add only what they need. some people (like myself) want to use windows Mobile 6.1 until 6.5 is stable. other want 6.5 now. I could keep going on and on but im sure you get the point. I for one am VERY thankful all the good ROM chefs out here spend their free time to give us awesome roms for free.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton86 View Post
.........really?

is this now your playground to act out your fantasy of being a 6 year old again?

i have an idea....what if we all just grew up and quit trying to prove who's got bigger b*lls.
This coming from the same person who was instigating on the previous page.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

sigh... the hatefest has become the real madness.

ROM collaboration has already happened quite a bit on a small scale but we will never see one unified superROM... End.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: Verizon.....has anyone seen my Alltel?

leighton86 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
This coming from the same person who was instigating on the previous page.

=D>=D>

haha...and THAT coming from the SAME person who speaks in a highly un-warranted "holier-than-thou-" tone.

lol, you clearly misunderstood me. it wasn't an attempt at instigation...it was merely stating a clear image portrayal of your contrived words.

if nothing else, i was choosing the better and more clearly produced side of the argument.

you know....kind of like picking out that car at the dealer.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

VenumX is keeping up the good workVenumX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to VenumX Send a message via MSN to VenumX Send a message via Yahoo to VenumX

I agree that join date is irrelevant; however post count is also irrelevant. I could easily be on xda or spj for a long time releasing roms and then just come in and comment on this post. For all you know he could be making his own ROMs for himself that are perfect with no glitches and have never posted on a forum. More on topic...it's not gonna happen, we all know that. There is no way all the chefs could get together and make a really great rom, there would be too much fighting, too much bickering over what was better, what was needed. The way it is now is the best way they could have it, a bunch of chefs trying to one up each other, the competition keeps them re-releasing...its as simple as that.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Just a NooB
Pocket PC: ZoOm ZoOm EVO Time

Sporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on repSporkman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

im shocked this is still open
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro now with way MOREnergy
Carrier: SPRINT SIMPLY KILLING ME PLAN

SE73N is keeping up the good workSE73N is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
I think that somebody should decide which kind of device and os everyone should be using and then there would be less confusion. Maybe the gov. should look into this.
i agree completely i think the government should step in and tell us all what rom to use.1 NATION,1 ROM

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro