PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Touch Pro 2 VS Mogul 6800? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70752)

jaggy13 06-05-2009 06:04 PM

Touch Pro 2 VS Mogul 6800?

Hey guys/gals,

I have a 6800 that I have been using for at least a year now, and have loved it. I just took a look at the new touch pro 2 and it seems to be comparable and in a smaller footprint. This would be a vialble reason for me to upgrade.

Is it an upgrade to what I have? anyone else make the switch and have feedback for me?

I have my mogul loaded with SLU2 and GPS/google maps and several other tweaks from this forum. It does just about anything I could ask.

Any cons for me changing platforms?
Thanks in advance!

intrlude 06-05-2009 06:08 PM

Re: Touch Pro 2 VS Mogul 6800?

The Mogul was a great device for me. To upgrade from one to the TP2 is a good migration. It will be some getting used to. There will be shell shock from all the missing hardware buttons you may have been accustomed to but it's made back up by the TF3D2 interface/layout. Good luck.

bigirb2002 06-05-2009 06:17 PM

i upgraded from a mogul to a pro today . i shoulda did it faster

jaggy13 06-05-2009 06:17 PM

How about Battery life? like/same?
its a tough one just because of all the accessories I have, Desk docking station, extra battery...
Thanks for the reply.

mlin 06-05-2009 06:21 PM

Battery life will not be as good, but to me it is worth the trade off. I went from a Mogul to a Vogue to a Pro. My sister has my old Mogul and I can't stand the lack of program memory on that device. You will find that you are able to do so much more on the TP or TP2 then you were ever able to do on the Mogul. Plus, the screen resolution is fantastic! You do not even need to zoom in on web pages to view the text in Opera.

jaggy13 06-05-2009 06:25 PM

Mlin, I think thats what I needed to hear! Lack of progam memory has been an issue for me.
Thanks!

i360 06-05-2009 10:23 PM

The Mogul would have been a great device for most if it had more memory, which the Touch Pro series has enough of. Not to mention the better form, screen and functions. Even the Touch Pro (1) is a major upgrade...Just being honest here. The TP 2 will be a even better version with a bigger screen, although expect to pay that off in battery life compared to the mogul. But even still it is sooooooo worth it.

wildpig 06-05-2009 11:19 PM

issue of gps still not completely fixed in TP. TP2 uses the same chipset so beware. the gps in mogul works much better. voice command also works better in mogul.

dcrichmond 06-06-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpig (Post 957805)
issue of gps still not completely fixed in TP. TP2 uses the same chipset so beware. the gps in mogul works much better. voice command also works better in mogul.

I had the mogul. I find that the GPS works much better in the TP2 (once I used the patch). I love the increase memory and screen. I also like the camera much better, with the mogul pictures of pages never were clear. With the TP2 the pages are sharp. I do miss the buttons, but I do like the number pad on the keyboard.

mlin 06-06-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpig (Post 957805)

GPS works great on my TP.

stifiling 06-06-2009 04:21 AM

from an overall standpoint, i think i like the mogul better then the TP. haven't played with a TP2 yet, we'll see.

temperbad 06-06-2009 04:34 AM

Mogul over the tp2? are you kidding, the tp2 is a mogul on steriods.... The tp1 itself is wayyyyy better. I personaly am keeping my tp1 and passing the downgraded tp2, oooh wow bigger screen (too big to me) tilting keyboard, wow, but no flash (i use it alot) no dpad (alot of my games use it or strickly when my fingers are sweaty and wont scroll on the screen right i use it) and a older CPU. Lmaoooo everything else is identicle, no way not me, but id get a tp2 or tp1 over the mogul. :u

pezx44 06-06-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temperbad (Post 958195)
Mogul over the tp2? are you kidding, the tp2 is a mogul on steriods.... The tp1 itself is wayyyyy better. I personaly am keeping my tp1 and passing the downgraded tp2, oooh wow bigger screen (too big to me) tilting keyboard, wow, but no flash (i use it alot) no dpad (alot of my games use it or strickly when my fingers are sweaty and wont scroll on the screen right i use it) and a older CPU. Lmaoooo everything else is identicle, no way not me, but id get a tp2 or tp1 over the mogul. :u

Downgraded?
I agree the screen may be a little big, but then I watched some HQ streams on it and I'm pretty impressed. It's difficult for me to reach all corners with my thumb when holding the device regularly which kinda sucks (especially since there is no "OK" button on the thing), but if you ever watch any video on the thing you will appreciate that extra real estate.
Even though the device is larger, it sits in my pocket better and is less noticeable when walking around. A little less thick and a little more spread out makes it feel like less of a brick which was always the feeling I had with the TP.
The tilting screen really isn't that big a deal for me either, but I do like the fact that there is none of the wiggle that the TP has when the screen is closed. The device feels very solid. Also, the volume buttons are on the keyboard side rather than the screen side when open which actually makes them usable in my opinion versus the TP where it sucks to change the volume with the keyboard out.
I can see the problem with the flash if you use it a lot. I don't, so I don't mind. I don't like that there is no covering over the camera (just a hole in the case). Sure it makes for better pictures, but there's no protection over the lens. I'm sure the US carriers will fix this issue though.
I always found the dpad on the TP to be nearly unusable. I usually ended up hitting the corner buttons when I wanted to go left or right. The up down did work well for me though, so I agree with that. For me the real downside of its absence is the lack of the OK button in the middle. Life's just a little more frustrating without it. Never had the problem with sweaty hands making the scroolbar not work. I would have thought that a resistive screen would not be affected by that, but I guess I'm wrong.
And the older CPU... Strange how the TP seems to be more responsive than my TP with that CPU. If you can point out any negatives to having it, I'll test it out, but I haven't noticed any.
Haven't really used the zoom bar for anything, so I don't know how useful that will be.
Though they may have eerily similar specs other than the outward appearance, the larger screen seems to make things work better (more contact area to feel more responsive). The speakerphone sounds much better in my opinion. The keyboard is a lot easier to use if you have fat fingers. Don't LYAO too much. If you haven't seen one in person yet, I'd hold your judgement. I, personally, am very impressed so far.

vesty16277 06-06-2009 11:54 AM

I had a mogul with sprint and they had so many problems they just scrapped the line. At least thats what Tech Support told me. They were spending more on fielding support calls then making money off the damn things. I do miss the strategically placed function buttons. Especially for the digital camera. I hate the TP's. I do enjoy the increased performance from the additional memory. I had major issues with texting while in roaming. I came to figure out it had to do with an issue where if I got a text at the exact moment I was receiving a phone call it would reject the text and get stuck for months. To release it I would have to recreate the same process, wait for Verizon to clear it through maintenance, or clear my profile with sprint and completely reactivate my entire account. I had the problem with the TP but when it said could not send message it didn't keep it in my out box for 24 resending over and over until I went back into sprint coverage.

digiblur 06-06-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy13 (Post 957245)
Hey guys/gals,

I have a 6800 that I have been using for at least a year now, and have loved it. I just took a look at the new touch pro 2 and it seems to be comparable and in a smaller footprint. This would be a vialble reason for me to upgrade.

Is it an upgrade to what I have? anyone else make the switch and have feedback for me?

I have my mogul loaded with SLU2 and GPS/google maps and several other tweaks from this forum. It does just about anything I could ask.

Any cons for me changing platforms?
Thanks in advance!

There's no comparison between the Mogul and Touch Pro 1. I had the Mogul for almost 2 years, I see how much I hated that thing. A family member still has hers and when she asked me to do something on it I was laughing the whole time.

TheAlienElite 06-06-2009 03:02 PM

As you can see in my sig, just switched. As others have said, I miss the mogul's hard buttons SO much...but I gotta say man...the memory difference alone makes up for that!

I never flashed my mogul, but I have the feeling that even if I had it wouldn't have been able to do what I wanted it to...almost daily I would find a site that would make me have to soft reset...so far I haven't done that on the TP (although I haven't really used the internet on it yet -- going to in the next few days). Not to mention I couldn't run more than one or two programs at once...

So take the plunge man!

P.S- Don't forget that the mogul is like 2.5 years old, most people have moved on (i think) and most development is geared for newer devices, the TP included!

bigirb2002 06-06-2009 03:12 PM

touch pro hands down battery life isnt as good but i made it alot better with tweaks. and flashing the radio to verizons radio. but touch pro is better. dont forget the accelerometer its fun. as for gps no issues here.

esqueue 06-06-2009 04:30 PM

There are many advantages of each even though the mogul is an older device. Some of the advantages are In My Opinion. I will compare the mogul to the tp1. I only assumme that the tp2 will be the tp1 with a bigger screen and the same issues.

The mogul is easier to type on, but the TP! have more keys, a number pad and is just more useful. After getting used to the touch pro's smaller keys, I prefer it.

The Mogul's GPS is flawless while the TP's has gps lag. The Mogul wins there hands down. The people who say that their gps runs flawless may have a little brain lag to it equals out.

The Touch Pro has an overheating issue while the mogul didn't and have better battery life (fully expected). I am visiting a relative and the TP connected to my laptop is the only soruce of internet. I have to put in on a ziplock bag of ice so it doesn't drain and turn off. That is working surprising well though :P. The ice is double bagged to reduce condensation to nearly nothing externally.

The mogul had lots of external buttons. I didn't miss them as I forced myself to use them on the mogul.

The TP's screen is beautiful when coming from a mogul. Reading webpages from opera while zoomed out is great.

Mogul to tp1? yes Mogul to tp2 yeah , tp1 to tp2? Hell no. While I get a bigger screen and getting rid of the POS garbage that they call a d-pad on the tp1, it will be a downgrade with the removal of flash. I use htorch more than anything.

jaggy13 06-10-2009 02:57 PM

Thanks to all for the posts. I have been very satisfied with my mogul with a few exceptions. Tethering being one thing I really could use. Smaller footprint and more program memory being nice perks. I think I am ready for the move. Now that the palm pre has been released I gave it some consideration as well, about as much as the blackberry storm. (about 20 minutes or less).
Now that I am shopping for a pro 2 the question arises... I can pick up a TP for less than half the price of a TP2. ($150 vs $400) I see most of you have the TP that have posted here. Is the TP enough? should I spend the extra on the TP2? What am I really getting for the extra $$? (other than the bigger screen)
I only ask because now I am thinking I can afford all the extra hardware for the TP (extra battery, desk doc and a new BT headset) and still spend way less than the TP2.

rev800x 06-10-2009 03:12 PM

IMO, the TP1 is better then the TP2 since it has flash and nothing else as far as hardware is different. CPU, camera, memory, all the same on both devices. I say save yourself some cash and get the TP. Use the money saved to buy a dock and extra battery.

TheAlienElite 06-12-2009 06:55 PM

Yea man, the battery is really the only complain I have with the TP thus far, so if you can pick one up and get the battery extension, you're all set !