PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   HTC Touch Pro GPS Hotfix (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69691)

Jmz 05-25-2009 03:21 PM

HTC Touch Pro GPS Hotfix

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a GPS Hotfix released today. I made the cab, the exe is from HTC. Copy exe or cab to device and install.

I would suggest using the EXE until a brave person confirms my cab works.

scuccia 05-25-2009 03:29 PM

Re: HTC Touch Pro GPS Hotfix

what does this fix?

jjs85 05-25-2009 03:32 PM

There is already a fix that works wonders

[http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49933]

thanks to lllboredlll

esqueue 05-25-2009 03:37 PM

I guess that they don't even acknowledge GPS lag. I never have a problem with fixes.

veedubguru 05-25-2009 03:38 PM

Can't say I've had any trouble getting a GPS lock with the Sprint Touch PRO, but I have noticed that when using Garmin my GPS lock drops off every so often then picks right back up (very quickly). Never effects active navigation since it comes back up so fast.

Would be nice to know exactly what they supposedly fixed, but HTC likes to leave out the details on updates.

esqueue 05-25-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedubguru (Post 934676)
Can't say I've had any trouble getting a GPS lock with the Sprint Touch PRO, but I have noticed that when using Garmin my GPS lock drops off every so often then picks right back up (very quickly). Never effects active navigation since it comes back up so fast.

Would be nice to know exactly what they supposedly fixed, but HTC likes to leave out the details on updates.

Hotfix for resolving difficulties finding or locating a position when using GPS for HTC Touch Pro
If it is difficult to find or locate a position when using GPS, please download this hotfix to solve the problem.

Taken from htc's site.

veedubguru 05-25-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esqueue (Post 934685)
Hotfix for resolving difficulties finding or locating a position when using GPS for HTC Touch Pro
If it is difficult to find or locate a position when using GPS, please download this hotfix to solve the problem.

Taken from htc's site.

Yeah, I saw that. And it's a pretty limited description of what the fix actually does to the device, just a symptom explination. I was more curious if it was a new GPS driver, application based, registry, etc... HTC doesn't like telling you if it's an updated driver, or new file, or what it really does in function.

From what I can tell from from jmztaylor's cab (and thanks jmz for cabbing it up!), it appears to be an exe that clears out GPS log data on each startup. But then again, I'm not too great at reading the details of cab files either, but I don't see any .dll files so it's most likely not a driver.

hypeo 05-25-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmztaylor (Post 934652)
Here is a GPS Hotfix released today. I made the cab, the exe is from HTC. Copy exe or cab to device and install.

is this for CDMA or GSM? I did not see anything on HTC website America only Worldwide.

Jmz 05-25-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjs85 (Post 934664)

thanks to lllboredlll

Yeah but that is geared towards the Verizon version. And this is the official fix.

wildpig 05-25-2009 04:37 PM

Can someone please say if this is supposed to fix anything? I am at work right now and have to wait for a few more hrs to get home ;(

bmb2n 05-25-2009 10:26 PM

I read somewhere over the XDA that this utility is supposed to clear out the corrupted cache GPS data. Installing this utility seems to yield faster GPS locking for me...well the 1st locking took up to a minute. Subsequent locks take less then 5 sec without aGPS.

hellraiser_osu 05-25-2009 10:30 PM

It's too bad I'm still having horrible GPS lag.. I would drive by a road and see that the arrow on both TomTom and iGo8 would be at the road when I was about 50 feet past it.

lwrdrchvy2 05-25-2009 10:48 PM

This hotfix is for GSM devices not CDMA, may want to add that to original post. When you go to htc.com make sure that you have selected United States.

Beejis 05-25-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 (Post 935473)
This hotfix is for GSM devices not CDMA, may want to add that to original post. When you go to htc.com make sure that you have selected United States.

I installed the .exe and I have locks less than 5 seconds now, where previously it was taking at least 30 seconds. I don't think this is just for GSM cause it worked for me on my Sprint Touch Pro.

razorloves 05-25-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beejis (Post 935480)
I installed the .exe and I have locks less than 5 seconds now, where previously it was taking at least 30 seconds. I don't think this is just for GSM cause it worked for me on my Sprint Touch Pro.

30 seconds? geez...i never heard of that on the touch pro. should only take a couple seconds. at least it made yours work like the rest of ours.

Beejis 05-26-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorloves (Post 935491)
30 seconds? geez...i never heard of that on the touch pro. should only take a couple seconds. at least it made yours work like the rest of ours.

Sometimes it would take that long, not sure why though. But with this I get really quick locks which is nice!

lwrdrchvy2 05-26-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beejis (Post 935480)

go to www.htc.com and select United States in the top left corner of the screen. Go to the support tab then select sprint touch pro, alltel, or verizon. None of them will have this fix. If you select united kingdom, there is a list of hot fixes on the screen where you would select a phone and it states GSM.

lllboredlll 05-26-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjs85 (Post 934664)

thanks to lllboredlll

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmztaylor (Post 934759)
Yeah but that is geared towards the Verizon version. And this is the official fix.

My "Fix" is mearly a code injection to allow the gps chip to function with 3rd party software instead of just VZnavigator.

The fix jmztaylor is geared toward more consistent gps lock times and coordinate readings.

They are 2 totally different fixes.

veedubguru 05-26-2009 09:58 AM

When I posted yesterday I was pretty sure after checking the cab contents, that this hotfix just clears the GPS log data. bmb2n has seen the same info over at XDA as well.

Since it only clears GPS log data using the new CleanGPSData.exe that this fix installs, it should work fine for both GSM and CDMA devices. GPSlog, cache, etc... should be the same across the board for both networks. And at the very least, since we've had Sprint people applying this fix as well without problems, it shouldn't hurt your device at all.

esqueue 05-26-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellraiser_osu (Post 935439)
It's too bad I'm still having horrible GPS lag.. I would drive by a road and see that the arrow on both TomTom and iGo8 would be at the road when I was about 50 feet past it.

The reason why this will never get fixed is because a high percent of the people experiencing this think that it's the norm. They haven't used gps that works like the mogul to see that it isn't normal thus saying "Mine works flawless". That is a great excuse for htc to blow it off. I wouldn't be surprised if the TP2 have the same issue.

Jmz 05-26-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedubguru (Post 935967)
When I posted yesterday I was pretty sure after checking the cab contents, that this hotfix just clears the GPS log data. bmb2n has seen the same info over at XDA as well.

Since it only clears GPS log data using the new CleanGPSData.exe that this fix installs, it should work fine for both GSM and CDMA devices. GPSlog, cache, etc... should be the same across the board for both networks. And at the very least, since we've had Sprint people applying this fix as well without problems, it shouldn't hurt your device at all.

That's what I am trying to get across. No GSM specific DLLs and no GSM specific reg settings means the only bad thing this could do is not work. It won't break or hurt anything at all.

wildpig 05-26-2009 09:41 PM

tried this hotfix, still very lag in reporting the actual position still losing locking but it reacquire sats much faster. So all in all slightly better but not FIXED. l(

This is total BS if all this fix does is clearing the cache.

bmb2n 05-27-2009 01:34 AM

Tested about today with iGO8. Still lagging as always. The streets still lag behind the actual location.

Jmz 05-27-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpig (Post 937233)
tried this hotfix, still very lag in reporting the actual position still losing locking but it reacquire sats much faster. So all in all slightly better but not FIXED. l(

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmb2n (Post 937631)
Tested about today with iGO8. Still lagging as always. The streets still lag behind the actual location.

This is only for inital locking onto satellites. Not for the lag while running gps

jtvgeo 05-28-2009 09:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OEM based on jmztaylor cab file.

both kitchen
vk for virtual kitchen

kannaguchio 05-29-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpig (Post 937233)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmb2n (Post 937631)

I followed the instructions on this site, http://blog.mohdimran.com/2008/11/ht...-tweaking.html, and my lag is very minimal now.

CenFlo 06-03-2009 08:49 PM

My Diamond now locks quickly with this hotfix and that's a nice change from the past.

cecspark 06-10-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedubguru (Post 934676)

I was able to use my gps through google maps but wasn't able to get it to work with Live Search. Downloaded the HTC fix and it did not resolve my problem. It still didn't work with Live Search but still worked with Google. I had to do a hard reset for something unrelated and never bothered to reinstall it.