PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers (Bounty $145 so far) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68578)

tallnerd1985 05-14-2009 02:17 PM

Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers (Bounty $145 so far)

I was wondering if anybody is working on porting the G1 video drivers over to Windows Mobile. I kinda figured since they are based off the MSM72XX boards, the calls and mapping should be the same on each board. Correct me if I am wrong, couldn't someone use those drivers as a template for creating a compatible driver for Windows Mobile?

Update: I am going to start a bounty like they did for the Topaz Dialer. I am putting in the bucket a $100 to start. If anybody wants to pitch in, please leave a reply on the post on how much you want to donate.

MoonZ*BabysH 05-14-2009 02:21 PM

Re: Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers

are you talking about this http://www.htc-android.com/viewforum...53ea1a41934731

tallnerd1985 05-14-2009 02:30 PM

Re: Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers

Not really, I had played with the Android port for the HTC Vogue by DZO at XDA-developers and it was awesome. I would love to see a fully functional Android port for my Raphael but I am going to stick with WM6.5 for now. I am trying to figure out if using the video drivers from Android, would it be possible to port over or is it a nightmare converting over?

Hidavi 05-14-2009 03:27 PM

Re: Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers (Bounty Possibly)

You can't port video drivers from one OS into a totally different one.

tallnerd1985 05-15-2009 02:44 AM

Re: Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers (Bounty Possibly)

Yeah you can, people used to port Windows drivers over to linux in one form or another. Mainly you would be looking at the Linux/Android drivers to see where the calls, frame buffers and other such things are being sent then you would code and compile a driver for WinMo that does such as that. Hell, people made graphics drivers for an RSX chip off the PS3 even though the system is locked down like no other. I am suprised with as many MSM72XX boards out there that no one besides NuStrikes has attempted such.

lilbitz_1018 05-15-2009 03:00 AM

Re: Porting The G1(Dream) Video Drivers (Bounty $145 so far)

Hey, I'm a bit curious and uneducated as to what the 'porting' of the video drivers are and what they do. someone patient enough to explain in a nutshell?

tallnerd1985 05-15-2009 03:22 AM

Kind of like a computer in a sense. Every part needs instructions on how to properly perform their duty correctly. Now with the recent phones that HTC has put all have the same insides as such but a different case on the outside. As we speak, there is a graphics chip that is supposed to handle all the 2D and 3D effects on the phone, handle what is displayed on the screen and video playback. At the moment, the phone is not setup that way because all the work is being put on the main processor instead of offloading all the visual duties to the graphics card because of the lack of drivers for Windows Mobile.

lilbitz_1018 05-15-2009 04:07 AM

Okay I think I understand now. Anyway Good luck with the efforts.

tallnerd1985 05-15-2009 01:15 PM

Well, if everyone promises to contribute to the bounty, then we might have some individuals on board to teamup and finally create the driver that everyone has waited so long for. My idea for the bounty is that after someone has claimed to make the driver, then we would have it submitted to the staff of www.ppcgeeks.com for confirmation. After that, we would open the paypal account til the bounty promise has been meet then the driver would be released to the community after the bounty has been paid to the individual/s.