PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Tried EVERY rom, nothing fixes keyboard lag (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=68329)

l2yangop 05-12-2009 12:08 PM

Tried EVERY rom, nothing fixes keyboard lag

I have tried basically every rom listed on this site. No matter what I do, the hardware keyboard lags 2-3 words behind what i actually type. Sometimes it will even skip words. I have tried the reg edits, and the cabs. I have disabled tX9 or whatever that software keyboard is, but nothing helps. Is this just a windows issue? I am so frustrated that i ordered a Palm treo to replace this touch pro. At least i can text with that. I guess this is farewell to the forum, because this phone STINKS!

XxXViRuSXxX 05-12-2009 12:10 PM

Re: Tried EVERY rom, nothing fixes keyboard lag

2 Attachment(s)
Your Welcome :)

YouMayLose 05-12-2009 12:12 PM

lol wrong forum to post this.. and sorry your keyboard is lagging so bad.. im not sure if mine lags i rarely use it..with onscreen finger keyboards that are large enough to not need the stylus the hardware keyboard just doesnt seem needed for me...guess i should check and see how bad it is if it is bad at all.

l2yangop 05-12-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jboot (Post 910544)
Your Welcome :)

thanks for those, but i have already tried them. I appreciate your help though!!:headbang:

l2yangop 05-12-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouMayLose (Post 910549)
lol wrong forum to post this.. and sorry your keyboard is lagging so bad.. im not sure if mine lags i rarely use it..with onscreen finger keyboards that are large enough to not need the stylus the hardware keyboard just doesnt seem needed for me...guess i should check and see how bad it is if it is bad at all.

why not get a diamond then??

YouMayLose 05-12-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2yangop (Post 910563)
why not get a diamond then??

lol im with metropcs.. i love to text.. this is my 1st windows phone..i went with the 1 with a keyboard... i have to pay full retail for a phone.. why buy another?

XxXViRuSXxX 05-12-2009 12:31 PM

hey i will tell you that Juicy's newest has the fastest keyboard yet the battery life wasn't good for me though :( i love his roms though

l2yangop 05-12-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jboot (Post 910590)
hey i will tell you that Juicy's newest has the fastest keyboard yet the battery life wasn't good for me though :( i love his roms though

are those cabs you attached cooked into his latest roms?

miketab 05-12-2009 12:53 PM

Is this reffering to 6.5, bec mightmike's latest on 6.1 does not have the keyboard lag

scrosler 05-12-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouMayLose (Post 910567)
lol im with metropcs.. i love to text.. this is my 1st windows phone..i went with the 1 with a keyboard... i have to pay full retail for a phone.. why buy another?

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2yangop (Post 910541)
I have tried basically every rom listed on this site. No matter what I do, the hardware keyboard lags 2-3 words behind what i actually type. Sometimes it will even skip words. I have tried the reg edits, and the cabs. I have disabled tX9 or whatever that software keyboard is, but nothing helps. Is this just a windows issue? I am so frustrated that i ordered a Palm treo to replace this touch pro. At least i can text with that. I guess this is farewell to the forum, because this phone STINKS!

I think you answered your own question....

Slider phones with Keyboard by HTC running Windows mobile have terrible keyboard lag. Period. Thats all there is to say....

Some custom ROM's claim to improve it but I have not seen that yet. Even my own kitchen does.....

Thats why I have a Diamond now. A keyboard on a WinMo slider will surely lead to this fustration.

If you need a keyboard the Diamond is not for you. Look at the Treo Pro. Wife just got it a few weeks ago. No issues with KB lag because screen does not rotate.

Its not actually the KB lagging. Its the display I beleive.

BTW: the phone is simply amazing. It doesnt stink. Windows Mobile Stinks... Badly. Thats why there are custom ROM's.

Either way.... Good luck!

scuccia 05-12-2009 01:15 PM

do you happen to be using vistahide battery gauge. b/c that causes keyboard lag.

l2yangop 05-12-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuccia (Post 910677)
do you happen to be using vistahide battery gauge. b/c that causes keyboard lag.

no, i am not.

Quirk 05-12-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuccia (Post 910677)

I was going to ask the same question. I had a terrible lag before removing vistahide, everything seems fine now.

Siflan 05-12-2009 01:52 PM

Psyki has a very good ROM and the keyboard works well. You should try his.

JeffKay 05-12-2009 01:53 PM

I had a early Touch Pro - the first week of release. The keyboard lag was awful. It two months ago it failed completely and sprint sent me a brand new one. Since then - no lag at all. I think it's a hardware issue.

edufur 05-12-2009 01:59 PM

actually, i think this thread IS in the right place because it is updated ROMS that often make the lag worse. I reccomend the following:

1. Turn off EVERYTHING related to t9. In fact, dont install ANY keyboards other than the basic.
2. Turn off auto suggestion, then clear dictionary.
3. turn off auto correction.
4. turn off capitalization

that should make it a lot better... but i dont think it will ever be perfect.

Sporkman 05-12-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edufur (Post 910776)
actually, i think this thread IS in the right place because it is updated ROMS that often make the lag worse. I reccomend the following:

1. Turn off EVERYTHING related to t9. In fact, dont install ANY keyboards other than the basic.
2. Turn off auto suggestion, then clear dictionary.
3. turn off auto correction.
4. turn off capitalization

that should make it a lot better... but i dont think it will ever be perfect.

where do i turn all that off ? please

razorloves 05-12-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edufur (Post 910776)
actually, i think this thread IS in the right place because it is updated ROMS that often make the lag worse.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65925
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporkman (Post 910778)
where do i turn all that off ? please

Start-Settings-Input (SIP)

kevm14 05-12-2009 05:09 PM

The only keyboard lag I have is the first second or three after opening the keyboard and the display switches to landscape. Usually it is a few characters behind but catches up and stays responsive until I am done typing my text, e-mail or what have you. 3/9/09 build TP with stock Sprint ROM and tweaks...

ffkip911 05-18-2009 08:37 PM

If you're not opposed, try MS3. RSTG has a great WM6.5 with MS3 that doesn't seem to have any keyboard lag. Than again, you just may type mach speed!!

Big D5 05-18-2009 09:01 PM

Moved to Main TP Forum

Sporkman 05-18-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miketab (Post 910635)
Is this reffering to 6.5, bec mightmike's latest on 6.1 does not have the keyboard lag

false

Russellhi 05-18-2009 10:57 PM

google juicy 4.7

I've flashed most roms out. the only other rom I've been able to say with for more then a week is juicy 5. 5 has a slight lag but 4.7 has has been the best ALL around

iconeo 05-19-2009 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 910647)

I'm running a custom 6.5 rom on the 21501 build and I used to have lag. I found a solution while trying to troubleshoot my GBA emulator.

I too, at first, believed that is was the display that was lagging the input of text. However, delving further into it I have found that it is how winmo interprets key codes coming from hardware keyboard.

Winmo hardware keyboards typically come with a modified msim*.dll which tends to be labeled something like msim*.dll where * is some identifier with digits. The reg code that points to the file is:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\(the default value)]

Changing this to point to msim*.dll without any digits in it (which should still be on your phone even though it isn't being used) will change the hardware key codes back to normal.

!!! THIS WILL BREAK T9 or any advanced correction features !!!
This is most likely why turning off t9 lends to faster text input, but not as fast as this fix.

Props to dilta over at xda for the utility! :headbang:

note: this hasn't been tested on foreign roms, use with caution.

piranah 05-19-2009 03:48 AM

i send 3-400 texts a day, and yea, disabling t9 and all the extras (auto correct, word suggestion) helps speed up the keyboard. Im using a custom rom from Calkus 21232 kitchen...and i dont have much of a keyboard lag..im really fast at texting so a .5 second delay is expected...especially when you dont know exactly what to say to the little woman...

1999TL 05-19-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iconeo (Post 923195)
I'm running a custom 6.5 rom on the 21501 build and I used to have lag. I found a solution while trying to troubleshoot my GBA emulator.

I too, at first, believed that is was the display that was lagging the input of text. However, delving further into it I have found that it is how winmo interprets key codes coming from hardware keyboard.

Winmo hardware keyboards typically come with a modified msim*.dll which tends to be labeled something like msim*.dll where * is some identifier with digits. The reg code that points to the file is:

Changing this to point to msim*.dll without any digits in it (which should still be on your phone even though it isn't being used) will change the hardware key codes back to normal.

This is most likely why turning off t9 lends to faster text input, but not as fast as this fix.

Finally, I found a way to disable text suggestion since i can't find it in the Calkulin rom I'm using. I posted in the upgrades section but noboyd could help. This cab got rid of it after i soft reset. Wow, lag IS IS IS IMPROVED! Just did some texting. Nuts. This is huge. Don't know why ppl haven't made a big deal out of this before.

blazinazn 05-19-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrosler (Post 910647)
I think you answered your own question....

Slider phones with Keyboard by HTC running Windows mobile have terrible keyboard lag. Period. Thats all there is to say....

Some custom ROM's claim to improve it but I have not seen that yet. Even my own kitchen does.....

Thats why I have a Diamond now. A keyboard on a WinMo slider will surely lead to this fustration.

If you need a keyboard the Diamond is not for you. Look at the Treo Pro. Wife just got it a few weeks ago. No issues with KB lag because screen does not rotate.

BTW: the phone is simply amazing. It doesnt stink. Windows Mobile Stinks... Badly. Thats why there are custom ROM's.

Either way.... Good luck!

I've been seeing some massive lag when sending text messages. I will type 5-6 words and I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to catch up with me. But when I'm sending email, there is virtually no lag whatsoever. Not sure what the deal is here?!?

I keep my sms inbox cleared out and I am using threaded messaging. I have word completion and correction off. I just don't understand why it lags sooooooooo bad in text but not in email?!

iconeo 05-19-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 923422)
I've been seeing some massive lag when sending text messages. I will type 5-6 words and I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to catch up with me. But when I'm sending email, there is virtually no lag whatsoever. Not sure what the deal is here?!?

I keep my sms inbox cleared out and I am using threaded messaging. I have word completion and correction off. I just don't understand why it lags sooooooooo bad in text but not in email?!

Did you try the cab I posted above? You have to run it you know. Its a program so you can toggle it on and off, it will be located in your games folder.

iconeo 05-19-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1999TL (Post 923365)
Finally, I found a way to disable text suggestion since i can't find it in the Calkulin rom I'm using. I posted in the upgrades section but noboyd could help. This cab got rid of it after i soft reset. Wow, lag IS IS IS IMPROVED! Just did some texting. Nuts. This is huge. Don't know why ppl haven't made a big deal out of this before.

Probably because in adding functionality it also break functionality which is never a popular thing. Plus, I got lucky discovering this while looking into something else. We were only trying to fix key mapping for games not speed up the keyboard...

nswenson 05-19-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Do not install this KforTouchPro.cab file unless you like doing hard resets frequently. The tool allows you to switch T9 on and off, but unfortunately causes the phone to hang at boot screen after the next soft reset when you forget to toggle T9 back on. There's no work-around other than to hard reset, or always remember to re-enable T9.

A better solution is to use the disablet9.zip patch to disable T9. This will not cause the boot issue. The only side affect is the SYM key does not work, which most people never use. You can alway uninstall the cab to get the default keyboard functionality back.

Nathan

nswenson 05-19-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Do not install this KforTouchPro.cab file unless you like doing hard resets frequently. The tool allows you to switch T9 on and off, but unfortunately causes the phone to hang at boot screen after the next soft reset when you forget to toggle T9 back on. There's no work-around other than to hard reset, or always remember to re-enable T9.

A better solution is to use the disablet9.zip patch to disable T9. This will not cause the boot issue. The only side affect is the SYM key does not work, which most people never use. You can alway uninstall the cab to get the default keyboard functionality back.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...disable&page=5

Nathan

Cobaltikus 05-27-2009 10:13 AM

There is a beta rom from DCD which does not have any keyboard lag. It is Windows Mobile 6.1

It is bare bones and no kitchen but does have SDAutoRun

http://dcd1182.n715dp.com/index.php?dir=hermann/

AB33 05-27-2009 10:27 AM

THE KEYBOARD LAG IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM TAKE THE PHONE TO A SPRINT STORE AND THEY WILL FIX THE KEYBOARD OR GIVE YOU A NEW TP. That is what myself and many others have done.

d94 05-27-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB33 (Post 938004)
THE KEYBOARD LAG IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM TAKE THE PHONE TO A SPRINT STORE AND THEY WILL FIX THE KEYBOARD OR GIVE YOU A NEW TP. That is what myself and many others have done.

i wish you were right, but just bout every TP iv seen has a lag
and if someones KB lags i dont give them a new phone i just show em mine because it does the same thing

about to try some of the fixes in this thread tho :D

d94 05-27-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nswenson (Post 924569)

Nathan

didnt work

j_j 05-27-2009 11:12 AM

i use vito sms-chat, it's probably not the best for everyone, but i can literally press random buttons on the keyboard as fast as possible and it keeps up

Darkjedi 05-27-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nswenson (Post 924569)

Nathan

omg that's totally what happened to me. Thankfully it gave me an excuse to update to the new MR5 ROM when it came out a couple weeks ago. Now I need a new excuse to reupgrade to the most recent MR5, ahah.

afx 05-27-2009 12:38 PM

Iknow this sounds weird but when I removed my SD card my lag for the most part went away.

Weird huh.

a_c_s 05-27-2009 03:31 PM

I had problems with lag as well, both on MR5 and Psyki and R3BORN...I just installed the final SPB MS3 version, and they actually did something to improve the lag dramatically...it really works well now...this doesn't help people that don't like the SPB interface, but for those who do, they were finally able to fix that horrible lag (it was SPB lag on top of the regular lag)...it's pretty zippy now...I'm on Psyki V3 btw...