PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   will i lose my contacts? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=66827)

johnboyinfl 04-29-2009 10:36 AM

will i lose my contacts?

i had previously set up an 8525 to my computer with active sync. i now have the touch pro. if i sync my touch pro, will i lose my contacts that i have on my touch pro when they sync and be replaced by the contacts from my 8525?

i would like to sync my pictures and contacts so that i can hard reset and upgrade to the latest rom.

maybe even unlock and flash with another rom.

thanks,
jc

blazinazn 04-29-2009 10:47 AM

Re: will i lose my contacts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboyinfl (Post 884094)
i had previously set up an 8525 to my computer with active sync. i now have the touch pro. if i sync my touch pro, will i lose my contacts that i have on my touch pro when they sync and be replaced by the contacts from my 8525?

i would like to sync my pictures and contacts so that i can hard reset and upgrade to the latest rom.

thanks,
jc

Are you contacts sync'd with outlook? If so, I know for a fact that you won't lose your contacts on your TP. It will sync it with outlook and won't overwrite them on the TP.

MadlyAlive 04-29-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboyinfl (Post 884094)

thanks,
jc

For your pictures, just hook up via Activesync, browse to your phone and copy the pictures folder from storage to your PC. If you have a storage card, you can just copy them from your File Browser from Internal Storage to the SD card (assuming your pics are stored on Internal Storage of course).

piranah 04-29-2009 11:46 AM

isnt there an option in active sync/ WMDC that lets you sync your pictures too? as far as contacts go, all the contacts you have on your cpu will be put onto your phone, it will just add to the contacts on your phone already.

if you are still worried about it, look into PIM Backup, it takes the contacts you have and stores them on your SC and you can restore them after flashing.

johnboyinfl 04-29-2009 12:06 PM

thanks for the quick feedback and the assurance that all would go okay. i sync'd just fine. yes, my previous contacts had been sync'd with outlook. active sync asked what i would like to do. i chose to sync the contacts from the tp to the pc. that way i wouldn't screw anything up. (i know my latest info is on the tp)

there was an option to sync media. i decided that i would follow the advice and copy from the tp to the storage card or to my pc. (or both)

i have looked at pim backup. that sounds like a great suggestion. i have also been looking at some other options. spb and sprite. my understanding is that sprite is a better option for the tp.

thank you thank you thank you

johnboyinfl

MadlyAlive 04-29-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piranah (Post 884243)
isnt there an option in active sync/ WMDC that lets you sync your pictures too? as far as contacts go, all the contacts you have on your cpu will be put onto your phone, it will just add to the contacts on your phone already.

if you are still worried about it, look into PIM Backup, it takes the contacts you have and stores them on your SC and you can restore them after flashing.

Maybe in WMDC (I don't even need to use it anymore and I never used it much so I'm not sure). But ActiveSync I know that you can't sync your pictures.

You could also use something like Dashwire which syncs all your stuff online and you can view it, download, etc.

I don't like that idea too much as I'm paranoid with putting my things on someone's server on the Internet.

piranah 04-29-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboyinfl (Post 884288)
there was an option to sync media. i decided that i would follow the advice and copy from the tp to the storage card or to my pc. (or both)

i have looked at pim backup. that sounds like a great suggestion. i have also been looking at some other options. spb and sprite. my understanding is that sprite is a better option for the tp.

glad u got it working. as far as sprite goes, if you flash to different ROMs, its not a good idea to use, as there are some compatibility issues. i personally use both sprite and PIM so i can restore contacts when i flash, but if i install a program and have to hard reset, i can restore everything with sprite...

datboybrian 04-29-2009 11:12 PM

dashwire.com isthe best i have had over 5 tp for sprint and i download my contacts right in the car

johnboyinfl 05-01-2009 10:51 AM

i feel the same way in regards to dashwire. when i first heard about it, i thought it sounded really neat. after thinking about it. i feel the same way. i don't think i want all that info stored in the cloud.

it seems like everything is going that way though. has anyone tried microsoft's myphone or google snyc for winmo?

thanks again,
jc