PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Backup your data and storage card!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65819)

slopokdave 04-21-2009 05:38 PM

Backup your data and storage card!!!

So I thought it wouldn't happen to me....

I was messing around with Mighty5 today and tried installed the Rhodium keyboard. For some reason it screwed up my keyboard and I couldn't type my exchange password in after soft-resetting my phone. After 10 attempts it HARD REST my phone and erased my beloved storage card. This included all my pictures, music, Garmin XT coordinates saves, school documents, work documents, and my Pocket Quicken database (checking account).

Grrr... Back up that stuff on your computer, don't be a victim!! ](*,)](*,)

I always take out my memory card when doing a ROM update or hard reset. So nice that windows did that without even asking this time....

HBOOT 04-21-2009 06:31 PM

Re: Backup your data and storage card!!!

that sux, and while you at it,back that isht up to a flash stick...:mrgreen:

ou2mame 04-21-2009 07:43 PM

i back my storage cards up to folders on my external for this reason... i had my storage card get corrupted with my tp randomly... half the files were completely useless.

slopokdave 04-21-2009 07:48 PM

I'm attempting to restore now.... I will post back with how it goes and which software I used. I could care less about the pictures, music, and touchpro addons I had on there; I can re-add those. It's my quicken data file I'm concerned about......... arrrgh..

Geekcop 04-21-2009 07:56 PM

Two things: back up app (i.e. SPB Backup or Resco Backup) and Dashwire

jmorton10 04-21-2009 08:06 PM

I use Sprite religiously. Dashwire works but I'm not putting all my private info on a public server(believe me, I have some REAL good reasons not to)

I have lost ALL the info on my 16 gig Sandisk card three times now. I think the card is defective at this point, but it doesn't matter what the reason is at this point, the end result is the same.

I had it happen again three days ago, I had over 12 gigs of stuff on that card (ripped DVD movies, cab files, mp3's, GPS programs & maps, installed programs, hundreds of icons, all my pics, six Sprite total system BU files etc etc etc) & it came up totally blank.

I have 99% of it backed up to my laptop so it's really no big deal, it's more of an annoyance than anything but definitely illustrates what could happen without a tested backup.......

~John

regression 04-21-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 866607)
I use Sprite religiously. Dashwire works but I'm not putting all my private info on a public server(believe me, I have some REAL good reasons not to)

I have lost ALL the info on my 16 gig Sandisk card three times now. I think the card is defective at this point, but it doesn't matter what the reason is at this point, the end result is the same.

I had it happen again three days ago, I had over 12 gigs of stuff on that card (ripped DVD movies, cab files, mp3's, GPS programs & maps, installed programs, hundreds of icons, all my pics, six Sprite total system BU files etc etc etc) & it came up totally blank.

I have 99% of it backed up to my laptop so it's really no big deal, it's more of an annoyance than anything but definitely illustrates what could happen without a tested backup.......

~John

Yeah, I backup to my storage card daily and every other day or so I back up everything (phone memory and storage card) to my PC, which is in turn is backed up to an external hard drive, which is in turned backed up to DVD's stored at a separate location.

So hopefully I'm covered....

Damionix 04-22-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopokdave (Post 866198)
So I thought it wouldn't happen to me....

I was messing around with Mighty5 today and tried installed the Rhodium keyboard. For some reason it screwed up my keyboard and I couldn't type my exchange password in after soft-resetting my phone. After 10 attempts it HARD REST my phone and erased my beloved storage card. This included all my pictures, music, Garmin XT coordinates saves, school documents, work documents, and my Pocket Quicken database (checking account).

Grrr... Back up that stuff on your computer, don't be a victim!! ](*,)](*,)

I always take out my memory card when doing a ROM update or hard reset. So nice that windows did that without even asking this time....

All hope is not lost. Use a Data Recovery Software and get all your stuff back as it is still fresh. I personally use Dr. EASUS Data Recovery Pro 3. Its very good. Just take the Card insert in a USB adapter and you can recover all your data

Geekcop 04-22-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 866607)

~John

Agreed. There is definitely a lot of data that you should not put on a public server. This does serve as a good reminder that you should use some form of redundant backup

2kidz 04-22-2009 10:29 AM

Welp, i've already complained about my broken keyboard, now i'm working on increasing my volume on my new TP (help please!!!!)......my dashwire question is on sat, i anticipated losing old TP and gettin new one....as a result, i backed up all my texts and stuff onto/into dashwire....my question to u guys is how do i now get those texts from dashwire and returned to my new TP? thanks guys...u all are the greatest!