PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Camera Sound (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60470)

Major_Nate 03-09-2009 12:26 PM

Camera Sound

1 Attachment(s)
I've been thinking about this on and off for the last three months, but there has to be a way to change the shutter sound on the camera on my Touch Pro. I went into the registry and found HKey_Local_Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\Common . At the end of the contents, there is a string named: SourceOfSnapSound with value data: \Windows\Snap.wav. I wanted to try to change this to a monkey sound that i created as a wave file, so I copied & pasted Chimpy.wav into the Windows file, then changed the value data to \Windows\Chimpy.wav. The Chimpy wave file is only 1 second or so long. Then when i went to take another picture, the shutter sound did not work. I restored the original registry settings back to \windows\snap.wav and it went back to original. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

This does work now. All you must do is as follows: Thanks go to everyone that helped us get this! (No1ustad dunked the shot that finally got it working!)

1. Turn the shutter sound off in camera settings.
2. Copy & Paste ShutterSound.wav into the "\" directory.
3. Change registry settings as follows: HKLM\Software\HTC\Camera\Common string
value name: SourceOfSnapSound
value data: \ShutterSound.wav
4. Turn the shutter sound on in camera settings.
5. Soft-reset.

Note: I do not recommend doing this/testing this inside a very quiet library, as i did, because i just couldn't wait to try it again. lol...

FINAL EDIT:

Okay, so I went ahead and created the CAB file for this, and attached it both to this post and a post in the 4th page. I also have a rapidshare link for it as well. Once you download the CAB, just install it to the device memory(25kb) and then take a photo. If you uninstall it, it will switch back to the original shutter sound without a soft reset. This was tested on both the Touch Pro and the Touch Diamond. Thanks!

Rapidshare Link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/28073574...py_Shutter.cab

Major_Nate 03-09-2009 12:30 PM

Re: Camera Sound

1 Attachment(s)
Also, I went in and looked for the Snap.wav file in the Windows folder, and remembered to select "show all files", and I was unable to locate the wave file.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsike (Post 761191)
oops - send last post before you posted about looking for the file.

My bad, I forgot to write that I looked for it this morning...I do appreciate that though. I haven't tried to rename Chimpy.wav to Snap.wav for fear of not being able to put it back to the snap if i cannot find it, but i may try that anyways..worst case scenario, hard reset. everything is constantly backed up to my microSD card.

Still, there has to be another way to do this...lol.

EDIT:

Well, I'm back from school, and I went ahead and renamed Chimpy.wav to Snap.wav and pasted it into the Windows folder. Now, when i try to take that picture, it does not have any sound when the shutter goes off. I also tried turning off the shutter sound, then turning it back on, and still no sound. I am going to go ahead and delete the snap.wav file that I just pasted into the Windows Folder. So no luck in any way as of yet.

EDIT:

Attached here is the original Chimpy.wav file compressed in a ZIP file. This is the one I'm trying to make into a ringtone.

bugsike 03-09-2009 12:31 PM

I'm a noob at the phone stuff, but it seems to me that if you named snap.wav to something else (snap.old), then changed your monkey file to snap.wav and put it in the correct directory, any other referances in the reg or elsewhere would be able to find the correct file.

Bugs

bugsike 03-09-2009 12:32 PM

oops - send last post before you posted about looking for the file.

Major_Nate 03-09-2009 08:10 PM

Anyone have any other ideas?](*,)

The Coach 03-10-2009 02:17 PM

I found the snap.wav file using Total Commander and Resco. It's there and you can change it's name, but I can't seem to get anything to save into the location as a replacement for that file. I'll try again from my laptop a little bit later when I have some more time.

Dr.8820 03-11-2009 11:54 PM

major, i've been trying to get on to xda for some solutions but the site must be down. i will continue to check on this and report back.

Major_Nate 03-12-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 766678)
major, i've been trying to get on to xda for some solutions but the site must be down. i will continue to check on this and report back.

thank you sir. i appreciate it. I checked on xda but I was unable to find anything using the search.

Major_Nate 03-12-2009 08:05 AM

Okay, i don't know if this is considered progress, but i downloaded Resco Explorer 2008, and was browsing through the Windows folder, and came across ShutterSound.wav it's a 2.40kb wave file. attributes are: read only, Hidden, System, & ROM. It also says "HRSM". not quite sure what that means. I cannot even find the Snap.wav file anywhere, even using Resco and TotalCommander. I'm using the stock ROM, btw... I Don't have time right this second to try to modify that file, but I may try if i have time at work today, (we have 2 ppl out with the flu.)

EDIT:

Actually, I had a second to throw together a CAB that will install the chimpy sound (renamed to ShutterSound.wav) to the Windows folder. I'll try it in a second and see if it works...CAB is attached. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK (SO FAR). (I just want it up here in case i lose the CAB. lol.)

EDIT 2:

Allright, I tried that CAB, and it did not work...it required a soft-reset after install, and whether or not i did the soft reset, it would not work. It still played the default shutter sound. THE CAB FILE ATTACHED HERE DOES NOT WORK TO FIX THE ISSUE. just so everyone knows...more to follow soon! Any other input is greatly appreciated. I removed the CAB file from this post, as it does not work properly. An updated CAB file will be posted shortly on the first post and possibly the 4th page, or so...

Major_Nate 03-12-2009 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Btw, Attached to this post is the Chimpy.wav file I am trying to use as the Camera Shutter Sound.

EDIT:

Anyone else have any ideas for this?