PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Crazy phenomena - Improved Touch Pro Battery life (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60198)

rsbrown69 03-06-2009 03:21 PM

Crazy phenomena - Improved Touch Pro Battery life

2 Attachment(s)
I am not one to believe in things like holding your left arm up while holding the phone to your ear with the right hand to improve signal reception but I have came upon a strange phenomena that significantly increases the battery life of the touch pro and am not sure why. On one of my touch pros I found someone had installed vista hide battery gauge as well as batti 2.4 , both are running at the same time. I removed vista hide and the next day my ex was complaining that the battery only lasted her half a day (she lives in a bad roaming area) so I put vista hide back on and the following day she reported it lasted all day like it had been before I "fixed it" . Of course this doesnt make any sense to me so I tried it on the touch pro I carry around and sure enough I get a battery that lasts all day with my normal use (considerably heavy regular use). Normally my phone has to live on the charger to survive a day with me but I get a full day out of it now on battery alone. I would love to see others either confirm or deny this and maybe figure out why. I am going to summarize what I did and upload the exact files I used.
  • Install Batti-2.4.cab
  • copy VistaHide Battery Gauge.exe to your Windows\startup folder after unzipping it
  • restart phone
Thats it, Silly as it is.:scratch:

Dr.8820 03-06-2009 03:32 PM

Re: Crazy phenomena - Touch Pro Battery life

that probably works but i installed the diamond tweak and i get about a day while using wmp for 8-10 hours and leaving posts on the site.

Darkjedi 03-06-2009 03:43 PM

Re: Crazy phenomena - Improved Touch Pro Battery life

If someone can confirm this I will definitely give this a try.

InvincibleLiving 03-06-2009 03:43 PM

vistahide batt has recently been identified as one of the main contributors to lag on the TP and Diamond... many of us had to lay it to rest... there was a thread around here taking about it about a week ago.

scotcha12345 03-06-2009 03:51 PM

Agreed with the above poster.

Vistahide causes crazy keyboard lag. I've tested it out on a few different roms and its clearly causing lag.

If you like slow typing and more battery, go for it.

Mutiny32 03-06-2009 03:53 PM

Has anyone checked memory usage of VistaHide over the duration of its run-time? Is it possible that it creates a memory leak? I know next to nothing about it, so I'm just guessing what it does to cause problems.

Maybe it runs at a higher process priority by default? That would definitely explain battery drain and detrimental effect on overall system performance, most noticeably UI responsiveness.

Wasney 03-06-2009 04:11 PM

Well, I will try this. My phone usually dies around 9 hours. Will get back tomorrow with my results.

EDIT: Nevermind...as soon as I rebooted my TP is lagging like crazy. Getting rid of the vistahide as I type.

Mutiny32 03-06-2009 04:44 PM

Try installing .Net CF 2.0. The download to the .Net CF 2.0 SP2 from Microsoft is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

This would further backup my thread in development that both 2.0 and 3.5 Compact Frameworks should be installed to improve battery life and performance.

Tickeye 03-07-2009 03:42 PM

or you could just buy the mugen 3000 extended battery an get 2 to 3 days out of it without living next to the charger thats what I did an I love it...

freeza 03-07-2009 03:53 PM

I'm trying to understand how having a program run at startup increases battery life.

If anything it should decrease it...