PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   For the noobs like me (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58189)

BurgsideTiger 02-18-2009 11:37 AM

For the noobs like me

okay, so this is my first post and i am really excited right now. not because of the actual post, but i have finally figured out EXACTLY HOW TO INSTALL THE CAB FILES. i have read and read and read and read, but no one was actually saying where to put the cab files after u download them. now i am not stupid, and i am pretty computer smart, i think that the problem was comming down to im not as tech as alot of u guys. so for anyone else having the same problem installing the cab files....here u go!!!!!

so step 1 would be to find the cab that u want to download. there are a ton. i had been trying to download some new fonts, not big files, so fast and easy. one of the big mistakes is that when i finished downloading, they looked exactly the same as a zipped file. so i was unzipping them and putting them in my phone that way. well it wont work. trust me.

u need to put the zipped-looking file directly in your phone as is. do not unzip it or anything. just put it in. i actually made a folder in the start menu and labeled it to install.

so once the file is in, take your phone and go to the files location. u will notice that it doesnt look like a zipped file anymore. just click on it and it will automaticly do its thing!!!!! just do a soft reset, and your good to go!!!!!

i really hope this helps someone, i honestly could have used something like this about 3 hours ago. i had almost givin up, but just came across it by accident. i dont know if this post is in the right place, but dont delete, just move it if u have 2

MWSlim 02-18-2009 11:47 AM

Re: For the noobs like me

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgsideTiger (Post 720400)
okay, so this is my first post and i am really excited right now. not because of the actual post, but i have finally figured out EXACTLY HOW TO INSTALL THE CAB FILES. i have read and read and read and read, but no one was actually saying where to put the cab files after u download them. now i am not stupid, and i am pretty computer smart, i think that the problem was comming down to im not as tech as alot of u guys. so for anyone else having the same problem installing the cab files....here u go!!!!!

so step 1 would be to find the cab that u want to download. there are a ton. i had been trying to download some new fonts, not big files, so fast and easy. one of the big mistakes is that when i finished downloading, they looked exactly the same as a zipped file. so i was unzipping them and putting them in my phone that way. well it wont work. trust me.

u need to put the zipped-looking file directly in your phone as is. do not unzip it or anything. just put it in. i actually made a folder in the start menu and labeled it to install.

so once the file is in, take your phone and go to the files location. u will notice that it doesnt look like a zipped file anymore. just click on it and it will automaticly do its thing!!!!! just do a soft reset, and your good to go!!!!!

i really hope this helps someone, i honestly could have used something like this about 3 hours ago. i had almost givin up, but just came across it by accident. i dont know if this post is in the right place, but dont delete, just move it if u have 2

Happy modding!!! :headbang:

Darkness231 02-18-2009 11:50 AM

Yeah whenever I install WinRAR on my PC it associates the .cab files with it. Which makes it look like a zip.

MadlyAlive 02-18-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkness231 (Post 720436)
Yeah whenever I install WinRAR on my PC it associates the .cab files with it. Which makes it look like a zip.

I always show extensions for all files so I don't get mixed up.

ulysses 02-18-2009 12:10 PM

if i can add my $0.02, i keep everything i've installed in a folder on my computer, so when i flash, it's all in one place. but i'm sure most people here do the same? ;-)

MadlyAlive 02-18-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulysses (Post 720478)
if i can add my $0.02, i keep everything i've installed in a folder on my computer, so when i flash, it's all in one place. but i'm sure most people here do the same? ;-)

Same here. And I keep all my cab's on my SD card.

ulysses 02-18-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyAlive (Post 720494)

i thought about leaving them on my sd, but figured it's just taking up extra space on there since it's on my desktop, but yeah, that's not a bad idea either..

jmorton10 02-18-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyAlive (Post 720494)

That's what I do too.

I use a 16 gig Sandisk card so I have plenty of room.

~John

regression 02-18-2009 01:19 PM

I also keep the cabs on both my desktop and SD card. Also, I would suggest keeping all your key codes or registration numbers for apps you paid for. I learned the hard way when I had my first Windows Mobile phone (Moto Q) and had to do a hard reset. I spent so much time finding all my cabs. Then after that, spent eve more time looking through emails for registration codes.

InvincibleLiving 02-18-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regression (Post 720618)
I also keep the cabs on both my desktop and SD card. Also, I would suggest keeping all your key codes or registration numbers for apps you paid for. I learned the hard way when I had my first Windows Mobile phone (Moto Q) and had to do a hard reset. I spent so much time finding all my cabs. Then after that, spent eve more time looking through emails for registration codes.

correct, i keep mine in a word file on the internal storage for this exact reason... cut and paste!