PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   My TouchFLO became blazing fast, i forgot the tweak, help? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55845)

mikee4fun 02-02-2009 03:37 AM

Re: My TouchFLO became blazing fast, i forgot the tweak, help?

I have tried that hack and I see no difference and logically you shouldn't either. Your exporting registry information, deleting the root folder CLSID and then re importing the same data. So people stating it is quicker are most likely seeing a placebo effect.

Doing the following does absolutely nothing

1. Export HKCR\CLSID (will save to a *.reg file)
2. Del or Rename HKCR\CLSID
3. Import the backup of HKCR\CLSID

Turn off your device about 15 sec and reset

jringo718 02-02-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmac66 (Post 683796)
Jringo,
Sorry for the noob question....but how do you export a file? I have resco registry editor....went to HKCR/CLSID file but the only option I have is import the file. Do you mind typing out the steps in simpler steps for new users? Thx in advance.
mac

Sure. but as HotSauce mentioned, I read through the XDA thread too and some people hosed their phones because they didn't follow directions properly so do this at your own risk.

This is EXACTLY what I did:

1. Navigate to HKCR and right click the CLSID folder
2. Export the CLSID folder to my SD card as a .reg file
3. Go back to HKCR and right click CLSID again
4. Rename CLSID to CLSIDx
5. Click the right Menu softkey and import the .reg file that was saved
6. Delete the CLSIDx folder, make sure the CLSID you imported is there before you delete CLSIDx
7. Close Resco Registry Editor and then reboot.

You should see the changes in a bit or maybe after one more reboot

I know there are shorter ways, but this worked for me.

jringo718 02-02-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikee4fun (Post 683833)
Also I have no no difference and logically you shouldn't Your exporting registry information deleting the root folder of the registry contents and then re importing the same data. So people stating it is quicker are most likely seeing a placebo effect.

Not sure, I think if your registry hasn't been edited too much, you won't see much of a difference, but if you are like me and have edited the registry multiple times, it definitely brings it back to how it should work if you hard reset, but retain all the speed tweaks found on ppcgeeks without inputing it yourself.

Nativedude 02-02-2009 03:48 AM

I'll try it myself too, but I think I'm with mikee4fun on this one
It's the same data that your putting back in, so it's not "defraged" or anything

ACoolGuy 02-02-2009 03:53 AM

While I'm not sold on the whole "it speeds things up"...It definitely cleared up a problem I was having when booting where when the windows mobile splash screen came up the top taskbar came up as well...dunno what to say really cept...cool

jackmac66 02-02-2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jringo718 (Post 683834)
Sure. but as HotSauce mentioned, I read through the XDA thread too and some people hosed their phones because they didn't follow directions properly so do this at your own risk.

This is EXACTLY what I did:

1. Navigate to HKCR and right click the CLSID folder
2. Export the CLSID folder to my SD card as a .reg file
3. Go back to HKCR and right click CLSID again
4. Rename CLSID to CLSIDx
5. Click the right Menu softkey and import the .reg file that was saved
6. Delete the CLSIDx folder, make sure the CLSID you imported is there before you delete CLSIDx
7. Close Resco Registry Editor and then reboot.

You should see the changes in a bit or maybe after one more reboot

I know there are shorter ways, but this worked for me.

Jringo,
Thank you for the detailed explanation.....I was reading the xda developer thread in which they recommended powering off the TP for about 15 sec b4 the soft reset....did you do it this way? Thx
mac

mikee4fun 02-02-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jringo718 (Post 683837)
Not sure, I think if your registry hasn't been edited too much, you won't see much of a difference, but if you are like me and have edited the registry multiple times, it definitely brings it back to how it should work if you hard reset, but retain all the speed tweaks found on ppcgeeks without inputing it yourself.

Hey Jr, it does not matter how much you modify your registry, your exporting registry data and importing the same data. Nothing has changed period. Now if you hard reset your Touch Pro, export your CLSID registry data, then install all your tweaks and apps, then delete the CLSID and then re import the CLSID registry information there will be a difference, and chances are programs that you have installed which are dependent on data in that folder will fail.

ACoolGuy 02-02-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikee4fun (Post 683851)
Hey Jr, it does not matter how much you modify your registry, your exporting registry data and importing the same data. Nothing has changed period. Now if you hard reset your Touch Pro, export your CLSID registry data, then install all your tweaks and apps, then delete the CLSID and then re import the CLSID registry information there will be a difference, and chances are programs that you have installed which are dependent on data in that folder will fail.

I have to disagree with you on this one. While common sense says this is the case...from my experience shown above, I conclude it did in fact do SOMETHING. Just giving my experience. BTW - I did the rename to CLSIDx and then rename back. Closed the Registry editor. Waited one minute and then powered off using the top power button.

mikee4fun 02-02-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACoolGuy (Post 683852)
I have to disagree with you on this one. While common sense says this is the case...from my experience shown above, I conclude it did in fact do SOMETHING. Just giving my experience. BTW - I did the rename to CLSIDx and then rename back. Closed the Registry editor. Waited one minute and then powered off using the top power button.

Well, not sure what you are talking about in your post about the taskbar which has nothing to do with the CLSID data. I am going to run benchmark tests and see if there is actually any physical proof. I am sure it will come up the same.

ACoolGuy 02-02-2009 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikee4fun (Post 683857)
Well, not sure what you are talking about in your post about the taskbar which has nothing to do with the CLSID data. I am going to run benchmark tests and see if there is actually any physical proof. I am sure it will come up the same.

Again, I'm not sure what happened either. Just to give a run down of what I saw.
Before the CLSID stuff -
When I would turn on phone, it would go normal until the green(mine is blue) windows splash screen. This screen from first seeing it until the today screen came up had the top taskbar on it. Guess it was loading the graphic prematurely. It's kind of hard to explain.

After CLSID registry rename and reboot - Boots normal. Windows splash screen shows normal(no top bar). Doesnt seem much more responsive, but I do make sure to run memmaid every now and then to clear things up a little. Also I am running on the Stock Sprint ROM without the sprint customizations.