PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Brutally Honest 1st Impressions - Epic Fail (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=54972)

jmorton10 01-27-2009 08:17 AM

Re: Brutally Honest 1st Impressions - Epic Fail

Post #71 >>here<< is just what we're talking about.

~John

karong 01-27-2009 10:29 AM

I agree with almost everything the OP said. Ive had many WM phones and the tweaking to get it to work the way I want is outrageous. I sold this phone and even got it again to give it a 2nd chance but its the same thing. I am much happier with my BB Curve and dont see myself going back to WM or HTC anytime soon

chronster 01-27-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karong (Post 670239)
I agree with almost everything the OP said. Ive had many WM phones and the tweaking to get it to work the way I want is outrageous. I sold this phone and even got it again to give it a 2nd chance but its the same thing. I am much happier with my BB Curve and dont see myself going back to WM or HTC anytime soon

What exactly does your bb curve do that its working the way you want it? Are you talking about the phone functions or the entire device in general?

Really I'm baffled by people's comments here. I really am shocked at the quality control of these phones because I can tell you from personal experience, the phone I got worked flawlessly out of the box.

thundrbird1 01-27-2009 10:49 AM

I started with the 6700(tweaked the heck out that phone), went to Mogul, Touch, Diamond, Touch Pro, Blackberry Curve, now back to Touch Pro. Truth is, this forum's title is "PPCGEEKS". By virtue of that name, it is expected that most everyone will complain, praise, and either recommend or reject phones that come out. With that said, yes the 6700,Mogul,Touch,Diamond, and Touch Pro stink out of the box. BUt thanks to this forum we can tweak,adjust, and ruin our phones until we get it right. Thing is that will never happen :) So enjoy the phone, tweak it, and either complain or praise it.

Peace :)

bit1 01-27-2009 10:54 AM

You all may want to think of getting an Iphone. It offers the easy to use, simple experience you all seem to crave in your phones. Did you not realize a Winmo phone would have difficulties like you've experienced? You may want to think of using Apple for your home PC too as I'm sure Windows and Linux would involve too much work. :P

phaze 01-27-2009 11:04 AM

Yeah.

The out of the box experience was lacking for me.

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have returned it. I needed the audio booster patch big time because I could barely hear people on a call.

Smackey 01-27-2009 11:06 AM

Perhaps we just got lucky, but of the 5 Touch pros we have, all of them work out of the box without any hacking. My mom's and fiance's(neither have a clue what a cooked rom is) both like it. I know that I could not say the same about the mogul or apache that I had before.

I tweak mine tons, but that is because I want it to do so much more than an Iphone ever will and pay 80 bucks a month less to do it.

schettj 01-27-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bit1 (Post 670289)
You all may want to think of getting an Iphone. It offers the easy to use, simple experience you all seem to crave in your phones. Did you not realize a Winmo phone would have difficulties like you've experienced? You may want to think of using Apple for your home PC too as I'm sure Windows and Linux would involve too much work. :P

Epic Fail on reading comprehension ;)

I run linux on all my PCs and my home server hosting schettino.us (but not my HTPC - go figure, maybe if boxee under ubuntu ever gets stable... and of course I do have that one mac mini for iphone development)

We're beating the long dead horse now. This isn't about your or my balls, penis, brains, or l33t haxxor skills. It's about the sorry state of these devices out of the box, and the amount of tweaking needed to get them to perform. Sure, you CAN do it, it's even fun for some folks. Its not going to do it in the market going forward.

Some good discussion here, thanks for playing along. HTC is trying to do something with TF3d, and its a step in the right direction, but there's still a ways to go. And seriously, someone over there needs to find an LCD supplier that can give them a screen that's visible outside. Try Sharp - they have them.

jhutchings 01-27-2009 11:19 AM

New person here on the forum, but I am a long time user of smartphone devices. I started out on a treo 600, 6700, Treo 700 wx, Blackberry 8830, Blackberry 8330, and now recently back to the windows world with the touch pro. My main reason for switching to the blackberry was simple, it just works, and it does what it is programmed for very well. Email, phone, etc just works, and with the 8330 I got very good battery life. But lets face it, we are all in the same boat here, we not only want a device that works, but one we can play with. You can customize the blackberry only so far. I missed the ability to "hack" to my hearts content, so here I am back with the touch pro. I agree, out of the box it does need some tweaking. Now when we start "hacking" away with custom roms, guess what you are going to have issues. Whenever change is introduced in an operating system, there will be quirks, etc. So if you want a device that does what it is programmed for, without the ability to "play and hack" then the blackberry or iphone is the perfect device. But if you want a very powerful device that can be changed to your hearts content then you are in the right place. I knew what I was getting into when I went back to the Touch Pro, I use my phone in business and it is also a hobby. I really enjoy the ability to "hack" the phone for my own use. Now this phone does have some issues, for me it is the battery life. But in effect this is like having a full computer in my pocket, I use it like I would a laptop. So I have a charging station that can charge my phone and a second battery at the same time, and I have a three rotation battery setup. Even with battery life at 6 hours with heavy use I can get a full 18 hours of constant use with my setup. Again if you want a device that is rock solid get a blackberry, if you want it all then I think we have the right device. Just my two cents and I want to thank everyone on this forum for all of the knowledge you pass along

thundrbird1 01-27-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 670314)
Epic Fail on reading comprehension ;)

I run linux on all my PCs and my home server hosting schettino.us (but not my HTPC - go figure, maybe if boxee under ubuntu ever gets stable... and of course I do have that one mac mini for iphone development)

We're beating the long dead horse now. This isn't about your or my balls, penis, brains, or l33t haxxor skills. It's about the sorry state of these devices out of the box, and the amount of tweaking needed to get them to perform. Sure, you CAN do it, it's even fun for some folks. Its not going to do it in the market going forward.

Some good discussion here, thanks for playing along. HTC is trying to do something with TF3d, and its a step in the right direction, but there's still a ways to go. And seriously, someone over there needs to find an LCD supplier that can give them a screen that's visible outside. Try Sharp - they have them.

Agree, time to move on. :) Getting my replacement Pro tomorrow :). Loading up on Rom's as we speak!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace