PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How to block Data Connection?? Anyone know? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53062)

Carlos_P 01-13-2009 06:48 PM

How to block Data Connection?? Anyone know?

I've heard that the HTC and other new PDA phones must have access to internet, because many applications download information or updates automatically.

I was told that sometimes it automatically syncs with Sprint server, even with the Data Connection switched off. And I have noticed connections occasionally being made by some apps.

I've been told that people that don't have internet service on the phones get charged for internet usage by these applications.

So here goes my question: How do you fully disable Data Connection or block from dialing #777 or disable ActiveSync from trying to connect??

THunDA 01-13-2009 07:53 PM

Re: How to block Data Connection?? Anyone know?

You could always delete the connections at..
Start>Settings>Connections>Connections>Manage Existing Connections

Only problem is I would think you'd still get an error from things trying to connect and finding no connection... but it would ensure the phone isnt connecting.

You might also be able to call sprint and having them block data on your phone, im pretty sure this can be done.

Although im sure someone else will come along with a better way of doing it.

ggaeta 01-13-2009 08:11 PM

Call them they will do it

CozBoogie 01-13-2009 08:15 PM

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

chrnk 01-14-2009 01:01 AM

Deleting connection from connection settings doesn't help. It recreates it as soon as some application tries to connect to the internet. I had to call them to disable it, but by that time my TP downloaded over 1M of data (ouch). Took it only a couple of days.

HBOOT 01-14-2009 01:08 AM

This was answered up top, call and they will disable it .

Carlos_P 01-17-2009 01:09 PM

If they disable it, I imagine I would still get the annoying connections errors any time an applications tries to connect, right?

HBOOT 01-17-2009 01:10 PM

no u wont unless u try to vonnect, why wouldnt you want data anyway?weird!!:mrgreen:

Carlos_P 01-17-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbenz2008 (Post 647027)
no u wont unless u try to vonnect, why wouldnt you want data anyway?weird!!:mrgreen:

The reason is that I am on a retention plan on which doesn't allow me to add the service.. and honestly, I don't really use it..

Just don't want to be surprised by an outstanding bill of data usage I did not use..

HBOOT 01-17-2009 01:36 PM

retention is ordering you not to have it, doesnt make sense...

Carlos_P 01-17-2009 01:44 PM

I was searching around the forum and I've seen people that have used MoDaCo NoData.cab application to block Data Connections..

Sorry for the n00b questions but;
1. Do you have to unlock first, to install this app?
2. Does it block or interfere with wifi function?

Also, can this or any other application, that you guys might know of, filter data connection trough wifi?

Thanks for your posts!

Kolano 01-17-2009 01:48 PM

Presumably folks do want to be able to get data connections at times, just not be arbitrarily changed for apps using data connections when you don't want them to. Due to that having the carrier completely disable data connections is not ideal.

There are a set of changes to disable data connections, as I had provided an OEM package to do so in the older Apache kitchens. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact procedure now.

In any case you may also want to check out NoData, which is a small program to enable the easy disabling/enabling of data connections.

Kolano 01-17-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos_P (Post 647108)
I was searching around the forum and I've seen people that have used MoDaCo NoData.cab application to block Data Connections..

Sorry for the n00b questions but;
1. Do you have to unlock first, to install this app?
2. Does it block or interfere with wifi function?

Also, can this or any other application, that you guys might know of, filter data connection trough wifi?

Thanks for your posts!

1. NoData is a standard PocketPC application, and does not require unlocking one's phone. Only flashing new ROMs should require an unlock.

2. Wi-fi connectivity is separate from from the mobile data connections, and should continue to work with carrier data connections disabled.

Carlos_P 01-17-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolano (Post 647128)
1. NoData is a standard PocketPC application, and does not require unlocking one's phone. Only flashing new ROMs should require an unlock.

2. Wi-fi connectivity is separate from from the mobile data connections, and should continue to work with carrier data connections disabled.

Yes, I imagined it shouldn't interfere, but since I was red somewhere that someone mentioned having problems with their wifi.. I imagine it might have been the rom he flashed instead of the NoData app.. just wanted to make sure.

So there is no way at the moment to filter data connection trough wifi?

andrewcgrimm 01-17-2009 02:58 PM

from the dialer screen type:

1: ##3282#
2: Select Edit
3: Type in your MSL (LOCK CODE)
4: Change the Active Profile
a. Tap and hold on the 1
b. Click edit
c: Change Value to 0
5: Tap OK in the upper right hand corner
6: Tap OK in the upper right hand corner again
7: Tap Yes yo update items
8: Tap OK to reset the device

Now no internet services will be available, however you can still access WiFi access points. This only stops the Sprint PCS Vision services

HBOOT 01-17-2009 03:17 PM

good job Sprint guy

jmorton10 01-17-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbenz2008 (Post 647027)

There is nothing weird about it. I have the data block on my sons Titan.

He has a free WiFi connection 99% of the time, why would we want to pay for a data package when he can connect for free??

~John

No1ustad 01-17-2009 06:13 PM

didnt have any luck with that no data cab, but there are two other ways here that should work...

Carlos_P 01-20-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewcgrimm (Post 647216)
from the dialer screen type:

1: ##3282#
2: Select Edit
3: Type in your MSL (LOCK CODE)
4: Change the Active Profile
a. Tap and hold on the 1
b. Click edit
c: Change Value to 0
5: Tap OK in the upper right hand corner
6: Tap OK in the upper right hand corner again
7: Tap Yes yo update items
8: Tap OK to reset the device

Now no internet services will be available, however you can still access WiFi access points. This only stops the Sprint PCS Vision services

This should be in the Sticky...!

Thanks, for the posts guys.. very helpful!!

HBOOT 01-20-2009 01:27 AM

Mr Morton: electing to have data blocked is one thing; to not be allowed to have it by retention is unheard of.