PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Your favorite backup software for TP? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48159)

vumpler 12-08-2008 09:07 AM

Your favorite backup software for TP?

I remember someone posting that SPB's clone or backup utility was a good choice. My question is:

If I do a backup with SPB clone, when I apply a custom rom today and then restore with SPB clone, will it mess up the custom rom? When I say mess up I am referring to, slowing down the speed or screwing the rom all together.

The reason it concerns me is that my understanding of SPB clone is that it fully backups and reverts the registry. If that's the case I need a better solution.

You Guys > All

P.S. VZW TP here but I don't think it matters on this topic.

lmv7777 12-08-2008 10:20 AM

Re: Your favorite backup software for TP?

PIMbackup - restores only vital information such as texts, contacts and call logs.

notrock 12-08-2008 10:22 AM

I use Sprite. But only after I settle on a ROM. If I use a new ROM I always do a fresh install. But that's just my choice. Not sure if it matters

jmorton10 12-08-2008 10:27 AM

I use SPB BU & have restored a bunch of times with great luck in one of my old Titans after various ROM updates.

When I tried that after a ROM flash in my TouchPro it didn't work very well at all however. Instead of messing with it at that point, I just hard reset & started over as I had only had it a few days anyway.....

~John

shaun0207 12-08-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vumpler (Post 565858)
I remember someone posting that SPB's clone or backup utility was a good choice. My question is:

If I do a backup with SPB clone, when I apply a custom rom today and then restore with SPB clone, will it mess up the custom rom? When I say mess up I am referring to, slowing down the speed or screwing the rom all together.

The reason it concerns me is that my understanding of SPB clone is that it fully backups and reverts the registry. If that's the case I need a better solution.

You Guys > All

P.S. VZW TP here but I don't think it matters on this topic.

havent used SPB Clone. However I use SPB b ackup and it works great. It has a option to run a backup as a ROM upgrade. So say you make a back up of your regular uncustomized system. If you make a bunch of changes blah, blah, etc, you can revert back to the original config. I used a backup from my 1st TP to put all my apps, contacts, etc... on my new TP with no problems. Whenever I switch to a different theme, I back it up. That way if I change my theme and want to go back to another older theme, I can and its easier. You have the option in the program to tell it what you WANT to restore. So you cant tell it to restore everything but system data. Which means it will not remove the custom ROM.

I dont know if it cant revert and relock a device. you gotta ask someone who has unlocked there device to try it and see if it will relock and etc....

TheRealHotshot 12-08-2008 10:43 AM

On my mogul it used spb back up which is pretty ok..but I just got sprite backup lastnite heard its a grea program imma try it out lata and give my review of it

wmdunn 12-15-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 565907)
havent used SPB Clone. However I use SPB b ackup and it works great. It has a option to run a backup as a ROM upgrade. So say you make a back up of your regular uncustomized system. If you make a bunch of changes blah, blah, etc, you can revert back to the original config. I used a backup from my 1st TP to put all my apps, contacts, etc... on my new TP with no problems. Whenever I switch to a different theme, I back it up. That way if I change my theme and want to go back to another older theme, I can and its easier. You have the option in the program to tell it what you WANT to restore. So you cant tell it to restore everything but system data. Which means it will not remove the custom ROM.

I dont know if it cant revert and relock a device. you gotta ask someone who has unlocked there device to try it and see if it will relock and etc....

When you do your restore after a rom change, there is a box to overwrite data......do you check that box? Thanks.