PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Multiple Apps / Battery (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47841)

sracercelica 12-05-2008 01:25 PM

Multiple Apps / Battery

I hate waiting for apps to load up, some are pretty fast (2-3 seconds) but some can take longer (4-10 seconds). I specially hate waiting for the apps I used very often to load. I know that one of the good features of WM is the ability to have multiple apps opened at a time. Therefore I was thinking of leaving all my most used apps opened all the time (google maps, opera, text msg., email, live search). That way I could just switch between them using the task mgr. and wouldnt have to wait for them to load.

However, by leaving these apps opened all the time, will my battery take a big hit? I mean since they would all be in stanby pretty much would the battery drain pretty fast?

JickBahTech 12-05-2008 03:14 PM

Re: Multiple Apps / Battery

Depends.
If apps are using the data connection your battery life will plummet. For example, I've yet to find a good IM program, that keeps up with alerts, and doesn't tax the battery.

Programs like contacts and calendar shouldn't negatively affect the battery too much.

FatFrosty 12-05-2008 03:27 PM

Technical related question: Wouldn't empty ram use just as much juice as occupied ram, granted the ram isn't being accessed/processed?

That was always my understanding, and if this is true then dormant programs that aren't running any processes in the background shouldn't matter.

chronster 12-05-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatFrosty (Post 561851)
Technical related question: Wouldn't empty ram use just as much juice as occupied ram, granted the ram isn't being accessed/processed?

That was always my understanding, and if this is true then dormant programs that aren't running any processes in the background shouldn't matter.

The cpu doesn't need to maintain any processes located in empty ram. The programs running in the background use up cpu cycles, which results in battery drain. The reason people's phones get warm from heavy use is because of the cpu pulling juice from the battery, which causes resistance. The more juice needed, the more resistance, the more heat. If it gets bad enough, you get a worse effect since warm batteries drain quicker.

ScrapMaker 12-05-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 561975)
The cpu doesn't need to maintain any processes located in empty ram. The programs running in the background use up cpu cycles, which results in battery drain. The reason people's phones get warm from heavy use is because of the cpu pulling juice from the battery, which causes resistance. The more juice needed, the more resistance, the more heat. If it gets bad enough, you get a worse effect since warm batteries drain quicker.

If you aren't actively using an application, then it really won't pull a drain.

The reason people's phone gets warm is because of the RADIO, not the CPU. Our devices use very little power in PDA-mode.

If you have a data connection open, then your battery will die quickly.

BigDiesel07 12-05-2008 05:31 PM

I tend to close any apps I am not currently using.. I guess it is a habit I picked up from having a Mogul.. An opened unused app might not take much battery juice to keep open, but over a day every bit counts..

chronster 12-05-2008 05:37 PM

At work I turn my phone to airplane mode since I have no service anyway. This saves me a ton of battery.

As far as the phone getting warm because of the radio, why does it get warm when I do a large file operation? I'm not saying the radio might not be a cause, but the cpu does get warm as well.

thacounty 12-05-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JickBahTech (Post 561825)
Depends.
If apps are using the data connection your battery life will plummet. For example, I've yet to find a good IM program, that keeps up with alerts, and doesn't tax the battery.

Programs like contacts and calendar shouldn't negatively affect the battery too much.

Tried Palringo?

Palladium 12-05-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 561975)

Ram Refresh is a hardware function, it does not matter whether there is data there or not. So there is no additional power draw just from having the memory in use. Most Properly written programs (i.e. programs that don't poll when idle but actually wait for events when idle) will not use any CPU cycles when their threads are idle hence no additional power draw.

Also, the resistance is there whether power is being drawn or not, it is the current draw that changes (e.g. P = I^2R)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 562086)
If you aren't actively using an application, then it really won't pull a drain.

The reason people's phone gets warm is because of the RADIO, not the CPU. Our devices use very little power in PDA-mode.

If you have a data connection open, then your battery will die quickly.

Correct on Point 1, I concur on point 2 (I see 60-90 mA MAX when pushing the applications processer extremely hard (with the blacklight OFF), I agree on Point 3.

Baffles 12-05-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 562115)
Tried Palringo?

I haven't found any IM program I like yet. Oz is the best I've tried, but still leaves much to be desired.

Also, unless you have an intermediate server, leaving connections to AIM or whatever all day WILL drain your battery if they are keeping up on alerts. Every time somebody's status changes, signs on/off, whatever it is going to tell you, which will get your data connection pumping and the CPU ticking.