PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Ok people, lets talk video quality with tv out cables... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47465)

chronster 12-02-2008 07:43 PM

Ok people, lets talk video quality with tv out cables...

Ive got one day left to test this phone before giving it back, and honestly, one of the biggest things keeping me on is the idea that I can bring my movies anywhere, even with orb, then watch them on a tv.

So if I buy the TV out cables, am I gonna be looking at like 10fps or anything? Is there a limitation as to what I can put on the screen once I load it?

Basically, is there a catch?

Existentialism 12-02-2008 07:48 PM

Re: Ok people, lets talk video quality with tv out cables...

Depends on the size of the screen you output to. TBH, it's not too great a quality, especially on larger screens with higher rez, since the image gets stretched and becomes fuzzy.

chronster 12-02-2008 07:48 PM

Ok, so lets say I just want to put it on a standard 4:3 analog tv. Even still, am I looking at fluid video or what?

Ranger093 12-02-2008 07:58 PM

Yes, As long as you use the right codecs. IMO there is no difference between having it displayed on the tv or not. It still works quite well.

TheMostToys 12-02-2008 07:58 PM

From a performance perspective, it is about the same on the TV as it is on the phone. There might be a slight difference, but I can't tell. The place I can tell is the image quality. It's not bad, but it is not great. It is only composite out, so it will be the same quality as composite out of your computer.

chronster 12-02-2008 08:11 PM

What about svideo out or vga out? Do either of those exist?

natataka 12-02-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 555732)
What about svideo out or vga out? Do either of those exist?

as far as i know. its only composite. nothing higher

Baffles 12-02-2008 08:44 PM

Uhm, on video out I noticed a fair performance drop, as did others.

chronster 12-02-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 555776)

Crap, like a drop as in it's not worth watching a movie with? I've seen people having issues with coreplayer on tv out also, have you had any issues?

[sammich] 12-02-2008 09:40 PM

What about Powerpoints? Do they appear crisp as they would on the computer?

TheMostToys 12-02-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 555917)
What about Powerpoints? Do they appear crisp as they would on the computer?

The same as they would if you were using composite out from your computer.

TheMostToys 12-02-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 555776)

I've watched rise of the silver surfer (from microSD) multiple youtube videos and streaming TV (football game from Orb) and noticed a very slight delay, but not bad (if you don't focus on it, you won't even notice) but the video quality (from composite connection) left a lot to be desired (fuzzy). YMMV.

chronster 12-03-2008 10:39 AM

Is there ANYWAY at ALL to get smooth video without blue flicker or half the frame rate!?

dew.man 12-03-2008 11:11 AM

I use Orb with TCPMP and get very close to VCR quality - not as good as upconverted DVD, but good enough to watch.

chronster 12-03-2008 11:34 AM

very close to vcr quality!? That sounds horrible! I was looking forward to bringing my movies to my friends houses and stuff. Although, that's orb. That's from the internet, so close to vcr quality might not be so bad considering it's not a file on your phone.

What about loading a file with TCPMP? What's the quality then? Also, where can I find a working version of TCPMP for the touch pro? I've heard people talking about issues with that and the touch pro.

LAST DAY FOR ME TO DECIDE TO STAY AND I'M FREAKING OUT!

PolloLoco 12-03-2008 12:26 PM

Do you have a PMP to compare to? I have an Archos 605 and it's video quality is far superior to this phone's via TV Out.

Though I love the TV Out feature as a toy. I use Coreplayer with the direct draw setting. You don't get the blue flicker, but the video might be slower if your file is too big. Also - on TV Out, blocking in dark scenes is much more obvious due to Coreplayer's inability. If you look closely at your phone you can see what I'm talking about. This was obvious while watching a downloaded preview of "The Dark Knight".

That said, Coreplayer's next update (not released) supposedly already has a fix for the blue flicker. Also - I watched Hellboy and another movie, both 700 meg downloads via TV out and the current "direct draw" and they looked great. Certainly better than VHS, but well below DVD or even PMP standards. The image is slightly washed out, not too clear.

chronster 12-03-2008 12:29 PM

Does it feel like you're watching a bootleg, still-in-theater copy or something? Hows the audio?

PolloLoco 12-03-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 557040)
Does it feel like you're watching a bootleg, still-in-theater copy or something? Hows the audio?

That's a decent description. I know someone posted a sample video on this or XDA developers - search for "TV Out Cable". The audio from Coreplayer is good, but low. I was thinking of adding the program to amplify volume, only for this purpose.

The volume issue doesn't exist for all programs. I played some emulators on TV Out and the volume was great.

Also - I should reiterate that loss in image quality is a lot more obvious on an HDTV. On my 27" SDTV it was definitely watchable.

aceracer24 12-03-2008 01:04 PM

Guys, keep in mind that the Touch Pro was designed for buisness like people. It's a buisness phone not a real media player. The TV out wasn't ment to watch movie theater movies on your TV. It was ment for presentations of powerpoint and/or generic videos. The fact that you can watch movies is just a plus but you can't expect it to do it well.

aceracer24 12-03-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 556940)
very close to vcr quality!? That sounds horrible! I was looking forward to bringing my movies to my friends houses and stuff. Although, that's orb. That's from the internet, so close to vcr quality might not be so bad considering it's not a file on your phone.

What about loading a file with TCPMP? What's the quality then? Also, where can I find a working version of TCPMP for the touch pro? I've heard people talking about issues with that and the touch pro.

LAST DAY FOR ME TO DECIDE TO STAY AND I'M FREAKING OUT!

This version works with the TP, it's what I am using and works fine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=380387

freeza 12-03-2008 01:34 PM

audio out seems to have pretty good quality

chronster 12-03-2008 01:57 PM

I just know when I get this cable and hook it up to show bad video quality, it'll be just one more reason for my dad to make fun of me for spending so much on a phone and data plan.

lipidfats 12-03-2008 02:47 PM

hey chronster, check this out: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eyekFFgK75E
it's a vid of slingbox using video out and it looks pretty good to me (at least the best u would hope for)... and that's something being streamed,so i'd imagine video on ur device would look even better.
edit: i also heard sprintTV doesn't work at all with the cables.. not sure if it's true, but i saw a vid of someone saying it

jds580s 12-03-2008 05:19 PM

I think the video out is a good feature. You just need to keep in mind that it's standard definition over composite coming from a cell phone.

I ordered an extra video-out cable if any one is interested PM me.